SUREFIRE L-4 Lanyard

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought an L4 and wanted to know if there is a special lanyard and lanyard ring made by SF for the L4. The L4 is very impressive BTW.

Also-The L4 fits perfectly into a Gerber knife sheath size (Lg).

Thanks for any tips.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Also-The L4 fits perfectly into a Gerber knife sheath size (Lg).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case someone does not have the Gerber knife sheath, the "Ripoff CO-130" works for both the L4 and the now popular Pelican M6.

I bought mine from Bulldog. (I think you will have to call Harold, because I don't see the Ripoffs on his web site.) Great service too!

Chuck

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Atomic6...

Welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I agree with you totally...the L4 is a truly impressive flashlight. An L4 that has been modified with a 5w Royal Blue LED is now a part of my EDC. (Yes...it kicks a$$! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

As far as a lanyard goes, here`s what I`ve done until Surefire comes out with a lanyard kit for the L4 (which may be a long time, or never, given the present L4 design...which does not appear to be "lanyard-kit friendly"):

1) I removed the original (and, IMHO, rather useless) short pocket clip from the L4, and installed a longer pocket clip that was on a Surefire C3 that I have. The longer clip looks good on the L4, and is actually functional.

2) I then put a split ring into the built-in opening at the bottom of the longer clip, with the split ring sized so that it freely moves around once installed. (The opening in the original short clip was too small to give the split rings that I have this freedom of movement.)

3) You can then attach any lanyard of your choosing to the split ring. (On my RB/L4 mod, I`ve used a length of black paracord, tied with a Chris Reeve "hangman`s noose" knot that they show you how to tie in the FAQ`S section at the CRK website: http://www.chrisreeve.com/home.html

Good luck to you with whatever approach you decide to take for a lanyard for your L4!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tardis

Newly Enlightened
Hi Carpe Diem,

How did you fasten both ends of the paracord together ? Did you use the Chris Reeve knot itself to do this ? I just got some paracord too and was wondering what knots to use.
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tardis...

I used the Chris Reeve knot to tie the two ends together.

The CR knot takes a little practice...to get the loops nice and tight and the length of the one unadjustable end "just right", but after you tie a few knots you can actually get pretty good at it.

Let`s put it this way...if I can do it, then you can certainly do it!

Once you`ve got it tied to your satisfaction (and depending what type of cord you`ve used), you can then carefully burn each end with a match so that the ends don`t unravel.

Good luck on your efforts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the welcome Carpe Diem & the good info. Lots to learn here at CPF.
A-6