Death of a D10...

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
...or maybe. Gave a Nitecore D10 to my son 1 year ago for his birthday. I told him whatever you do, don't use regular alkaline, just use rechargeables. Well I just gave him a Fenix TK10 for his birthday tonight and he said by the way, I can't get my D10 to open. It feels like it's glued shut and the piston is frozen. I had him check his Fenix L10 he received last Xmas and sure enough, an alkaline. So I suspect he put the same in the D10 and the battery leaked. Do I have any options or should our D10 just be laid to rest :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
...or maybe. Gave a Nitecore D10 to my son 1 year ago for his birthday. I told him whatever you do, don't use regular alkaline, just use rechargeables. Well I just gave him a Fenix TK10 for his birthday tonight and he said by the way, I can't get my D10 to open. It feels like it's glued shut and the piston is frozen. I had him check his Fenix L10 he received last Xmas and sure enough, an alkaline. So I suspect he put the same in the D10 and the battery leaked. Do I have any options or should our D10 just be laid to rest :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead.
If an alkaline cell has indeed leaked inside the D10, then I would assume the board will be stuffed. The brass ring and positive terminal + the exposed circuit board is almost always ruined by leaking battery acid. I have seen 5 D20's with the same problem!!!:thumbsdow

This D20 was killed by 2 x Energizer alkalines:
today011.jpg

Time to buy a replacement.

James....

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Next time, a CR123 light will suffice. Lithiums won't leak, and no inferior battery chemistry will fit!

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
How do I even open it to see inside, I hate to scratch it all up with pliers (moot point now really). Where do you guy get your strap wrenches?:thinking:

Does rechargeables not leak? Like NiMH??

That's what I really mean't, NiMH, thanks.

Last edited:

Cypher

Enlightened
I had some energizer (pretty sure, maybe duracell) AAs leak in a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon. I wrote them an email about it and they sent me a check for the cost of a new light.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have 2 channel locks (don't have to be that big), then I'm sure you can wrap it in some loose pieces of rubber or thick cloth and crack that thing open without marring the outside.

How do I even open it to see inside, I hate to scratch it all up with pliers (moot point now really). Where do you guy get your strap wrenches?:thinking:

That's what I really mean't, NiMH, thanks.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd be surprisedabout how easily channel locks will go through rubber. Someone laid down rubber, put a hose clamp around it and then loosened it with pliers.

Also, the Nitecores are THIN, so becareful about deformation

carrot

Flashaholic
You'd be surprisedabout how easily channel locks will go through rubber. Someone laid down rubber, put a hose clamp around it and then loosened it with pliers.

Also, the Nitecores are THIN, so becareful about deformation
+1 on that. Go slowly and carefully!