noob seeks 2xAA for camping. EagleTac or Quark?

bcardellini

Newly Enlightened
The Princeton Tec 4xAA I bought for camping a year ago has had problems ever since and finally crapped out. So I've decided to get a good quality light to replace it. I'm looking for a 2xAA light, with lots of output, high quality construction, convenient operation, and a fairly floody beam good for camping, dog walking, and around the house. It would also be nice if it had a red filter, a diffuser, a momentary switch, and could tailstand.

It's been really fun getting to know the world of well-engineered LED flashlights. The research I've done is tabulated in this google spreadsheet. According to my feature preference weights, the EagleTac P20A2 MkII (CW&OP) is the flashlight for me. My scoring formulae are not an exact science however, and I'm wondering if I wouldn't slightly prefer the Quark Regular AA² R5.

Reasons to get the Quark over the EagleTac:
Instant access to low mode.
0.2 lumen moonlight mode lasts 30 days.
Handy removable rubber grip.
Can cycle through some of the other modes one-handed.

Reasons to get the EagleTac over the Quark:
With the rubber foot it can tailstand AND has momentary switch.
Screw-on diffuser is included.
A set of RGB filters can be had for $11, vs $30 for a Quark prism & red filter.
Higher light output.
The Quark is uglier IMO.

They seem pretty equal in all other respects. I'd love to know if any of the data I have above is incorrect/incomplete (such as the availability of a cheaper red filter for the Quark), or any arguments for why one would be better (and I understand we're splitting hairs) for my intended uses. When I consider that I've found the Quark for slightly cheaper, I'm not seeing a clear winner yet. :thinking:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the original P20A2. I use it with the diffuser all the time. The diffused beam is quite wide, I'd say 40 degrees. So it isn't that bright in the city, but it ought to be plenty for camping.

Your friend would want the "neutral white" version, assuming that the MK II is even offered in neutral white. But even if it is, a warm Fenix TK20 with a diffuser cone might be a better choice, especially inside a tent.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
I suggest the ET P10A or Fenix LD10 if your going to use normal AAs/L91 Lithium AAs, the spill beam is brighter and the light is optimized for using a single AA rather than the Quark which is brighter on 14500 Li-Ions.

You should also get the Photon Freedom red covert instead of the red filter. This gives you:
-very light weight back up light; to change battery when the P10A dies as the red doesn't depend on the primary light's battery.
-all flood low-low light to supplement the P10A, the low on the freedom can go significantly lower than the 0.2lm Quark mode. I have both and use the Freedom much much more.
-fully adjustable brightness from about 10 to 0.001lm.
-really long battery life.

yowzer

Enlightened
Of those two, the Eagletac is much better IMO. The standard Quark UI just has too many modes and too much button pushing to get the right one. An ET P20A2nw backed up by a headlamp or smaller light (I like a Zebralight H501w and/or SC50w, or Quark Mini AA NW) is a nice combination.

Xak

Enlightened
You can get the Quark AA2 in a warm or neutral tint, which IMHO, is much better in the woods.

The flat, reverse clicky, can tailstand and cycling through the modes is just as easy with the reverse clicky. You don't have to turn the light on and off to switch modes, just put a little pressure on the switch.

If you MUST have a tailstandable (is that a word?) forward clicky you can get the Turbo flat tailcap. It is a flat tailcap forward clicky that tailstands. That's the beauty of Quarks, they are like legos.

Either of these options doesn't require some rubber boot that you need to attach and can lose.

If you don't want to cycle through modes in the regular UI try the tactical UI.

BTW, I think the Quarks are very attractive. They are also very functional and rugged. They just plain work.

entoptics

Enlightened
I've had several days of experience with both lights side by side.

Key differences.

• Quark has a wider floody beam.
  • Quark has a much lower low mode, which is hugely useful.
  • EagleTac is significantly larger/heavier
  • EagleTac pocket clip is chincy at best, Quark clip is quite good (if a little thin)
  • EagleTac has more lumens (not as noticeable as you'd think)
  • EagleTac has a nearly perfect, artifact free beam, whiter tint than Quark
  • EagleTac UI is more simple and you can lock out the disco modes, but it pretty much requires two handed use.
All in all, they are two quite different lights. I'd suggest buying the one with the User Interface you prefer, since they are both excellent, bright, efficient, and rugged.

Click here for a side by side beamshot time lapse video I made showing the Quark and EagleTac (and iTP Polestar and NiteCore D10). Make sure to watch in HD for more detail.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
Like XaK said you can have momentary, tail-standing and 2-mode programmable UI with the Quark AA2 Tactical using the flat tailcap from the Turbo model...but it will add $12 to the price of the light. I have been running a Quark AA Tactical for several months now with the flat Turbo tailcap and love the light. I don't think you would be disappointed.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not meaning to throw a curveball in here, but if you're looking for a camping light, and your needs are like mine, you should consider a higher performance headlamp. My wife and I do at least a couple of 4 - 5 day camping trips with our kids each year, and for camping, a headlamp beats a flashlight for most around the camp tasks.

That said, I don't have much experience with Princeton's, Petzl's etc., but my impression of them is they are overpriced and underpowered; you definitely do NOT get what you pay for with them. I've seen them in various outdoors stores like REI and BassPro, but they don't seem to hold up even to something like my NiteCore EZAAw on my keychain.

Fenix makes a couple of nice headlamps, Surefire is making at least one now, and Zebralight seems to be the king of the high end LED headlamp. I'm planning on getting a Zebra in the next couple weeks or so as we're planning another weeklong camping trip in the Trinity Alps in No. Cal. at the end of the month.

carrot

Flashaholic
The moonlight mode on the Quark is a real asset.

As to the recommendation for headlamps, I find the exact opposite to be true. Most of the popular flashlight brands' headlamps are overly expensive (even the Saint, which I love and use often), and the (new, 70 lumens) Princeton Tec EOS will suit your needs for under $40 quite well. I took it on a night hike with it as my only light source and I was blown away at its utility and excellent beam. It also uses a constant current driver and has awesome regulation. Then, back at camp I used it for all my camp chores. I can't recommend it highly enough.

somename

Newly Enlightened
You can get a red Fenix filter for $6 and use a dremel to remove the grooves inside. Then the filter will fit the Quark perfectly. This also works with the white diffuser cone which makes a nice lantern.

If your going to walk with the filter on, the Fenix red filter lets more light through where are the Eagletac filters seem to be a darker red so less light gets out.

For walking through the woods I'm using a Fenix filter on my Warm White Quark 123x2 Tactical. I just wish I could find a better filter for my Quark WW - AA Turbo and Quark WW - 123 Turbo.

The reversing body is a nice feature of the quarks to consider. I flipped my 123x2 Tactical body so I can clip in on my hat, and since the quark is really light weight it works great.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
The Quark's spill maybe larger, but its dimmer and much less useful than Fenix LD10 spill.

I have the XPE Q123x2 and personally I don't like the Quark beam for low-light uses. On the lower levels the spot causes tunnel vision because the spot its significantly brighter than the spill. To see stuff with the spill you need to turn up brightness. That causes you to lose more night adapted vision and makes the moonlight level moot. The white photon freedom has the same draw back, although on it the spill is not really noticeable on the lower levels.

If you really need a low-low go with the fully adjustable complete flood of the Photon Freedom. The red and nvg versions puts out a very comfortable 20-30deg beam thats perfect for close up tasks.

No light can do everything, I'd recommend the LD10 for its brightness on a single Alkaline/NiMH and a complementary Photon Freedom for the reasons above.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the 1xAA Fenix headlamp as low as $38 at some places and it puts out 100 Lumens. It also comes with a diffuser and the Fenix red filter fits it as well.

The moonlight mode on the Quark is a real asset.

As to the recommendation for headlamps, I find the exact opposite to be true. Most of the popular flashlight brands' headlamps are overly expensive (even the Saint, which I love and use often), and the (new, 70 lumens) Princeton Tec EOS will suit your needs for under $40 quite well. I took it on a night hike with it as my only light source and I was blown away at its utility and excellent beam. It also uses a constant current driver and has awesome regulation. Then, back at camp I used it for all my camp chores. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're trusting this advice...offered above from a CPFer named red02? :p

You can get a red Fenix filter for $6 and use a dremel to remove the grooves inside. Then the filter will fit the Quark perfectly. This also works with the white diffuser cone which makes a nice lantern.

If your going to walk with the filter on, the Fenix red filter lets more light through where are the Eagletac filters seem to be a darker red so less light gets out.

bcardellini

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I certainly came to the right place.

After reading your input, I realized I needed to think more about the UI I preferred. I think the Nitecore D20 UI is my favorite, but its beam rings, maintenance issues, and lack of accessories take it out of the running for me. I've decided I'd rather be able to cycle through modes one-handed than have momentary operation. That UI preference, the majority support here for Quark, and the adaptability of Fenix's candle diffuser are leaning me toward the Quark Regular AA².

A few other responses:

Your friend would want the "neutral white" version...a warm Fenix TK20 with a diffuser cone might be a better choice, especially inside a tent.

This being my first good quality flashlight, I was hoping to impress my friends with a massively powerful stark white beam. There seems to be a lot of support for the neutral emitters though, even though they produce dimmer and brown-looking light. So I am considering getting a neutral white version of the Quark or ET. I like the rubber grip, runtime, and optional candle diffuser for the TK20, but I'm turned off by the lower output and limited modes, so I don't think it's for me.

What do you think of Fenix LD20(R4) with good regulation?

I like the Fenix LD20 R4. I think it's better looking than the quark or ET, and I like the filters & diffuser cone made for it. But I think I'd go for the Quark AA² instead for the rubber grip and better warranty.

Key differences.

* Quark has a wider floody beam.
* Quark has a much lower low mode, which is hugely useful.
* EagleTac is significantly larger/heavier
* EagleTac pocket clip is chincy at best, Quark clip is quite good (if a little thin)
* EagleTac has more lumens (not as noticeable as you'd think)
* EagleTac has a nearly perfect, artifact free beam, whiter tint than Quark
* EagleTac UI is more simple and you can lock out the disco modes, but it pretty much requires two handed use.

All in all, they are two quite different lights. I'd suggest buying the one with the User Interface you prefer, since they are both excellent, bright, efficient, and rugged.

Click here for a side by side beamshot time lapse video I made showing the Quark and EagleTac (and iTP Polestar and NiteCore D10). Make sure to watch in HD for more detail.

Thanks! A lot of info I hadn't known before, and the beamshots are great. It's tough to ignore the higher lumens and "nearly perfect, artifact free beam, whiter tint than Quark", but you bring up some good Quark advantages I hadn't considered.

Not meaning to throw a curveball in here, but if you're looking for a camping light, and your needs are like mine, you should consider a higher performance headlamp.

I've got a Petzl that works great. Actually, it was my headlamp that turned me on to red filters.

I suggest the ET P10A or Fenix LD10 if your going to use normal AAs/L91 Lithium AAs, the spill beam is brighter and the light is optimized for using a single AA rather than the Quark which is brighter on 14500 Li-Ions.

You should also get the Photon Freedom red covert instead of the red filter.

I'm planning to use NiMH, but I think the overall output of the P10A and LD10 might be less than what I'd prefer, even if their spill is brighter. The Photon sounds cool, but I'd rather avoid non-AA batteries.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I've seen the 1xAA Fenix headlamp as low as $38 at some places and it puts out 100 Lumens. It also comes with a diffuser and the Fenix red filter fits it as well.
Isn't the Fenix overly throwy? All of the Fenixes I've every owned were fairly throwy which is really less than Ideal for a headlamp. The tight hotspot makes it difficult to do close up work and the relatively dimmer spill cause for tunnel vision when hiking.

The PT beam is smooth with fairly wide hotspot but has an awesome, very smooth transition between flood and spill so is great for everything from reading to hiking and anything in between.

red02

Enlightened
My only experience with filters on LEDs were the Olight filters (I size?) that fit the Quark-series and were offered in mid-late 2009, can't seem to find them anymore.

The red was more orange than anything. I get a deeper red closing my hand over a 200lm light. I would normally think this is due to the LED, but I've heard similar complaints about most other non-Olight filters. The only one that I've heard good things about is the Surefire F04 and its output was reportedly a good red.

Maybe its because of my experience with the olight filters, but dedicated LEDs would be my only choice for red lights.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Fenix overly throwy? All of the Fenixes I've every owned were fairly throwy which is really less than Ideal for a headlamp. The tight hotspot makes it difficult to do close up work and the relatively dimmer spill cause for tunnel vision when hiking.

The PT beam is smooth with fairly wide hotspot but has an awesome, very smooth transition between flood and spill so is great for everything from reading to hiking and anything in between.

From what I've seen (just played with one but don't own one) they do have a lot of throw but still have a good spill. I'd say it's very similar to how my QAA2 on my bike helmet is... if I crank it up enough the spill is bright enough I don't get any tunnel vision. For me that's a big deal because at 16 - 18 mph at night on a back country road riding home from work I need the spill to be bright; there's a LOT of gophers and rabbits around here that kamikaze across the road in front of me, and I'm not letting one of them take me with him... :duh2:

As with any other light, it becomes a question of use, and for the types of things I understand most people to use a light for while camping, something like a Zebra is a good solution. That or just fire up the old Coleman lantern and crank it up as high as you can get it to go...

Of course, a good flashaholic would get something like a Zebra h50 for camp chores and the Fenix for night hiking, or a Zebra with a handheld light like a Quark or Fenix, but hey, that's just me... :D

bcardellini

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've digested some of the information in this thread and it's still a dead heat for me. The revised argument lists I've got are:

Reasons to Get the Quark Regular AA² R5:
Instant access to moonlight mode.
Moonlight mode lasts 30 days.
Handy removable rubber handgrip.
Can cycle through some of the other modes one-handed.
Stronger clip.
Smaller & Lighter.

Reasons to Get the EagleTac P20A2-MkII:
Recent Quark mfg problems (o-ring fit, thread smoothness, positive contact chipping).
Momentary on.
Slightly better looking IMO.
Higher output.
GITD boot.
Universally acclaimed beam pattern.

It's a really close call between the two, but I think I'd rather not take the chance of having to deal with the Quark quality problems mentioned in lunchboxtheman's recent review. So I went for the ET. I'll post my impressions when it gets here.