Flashlight for indoor emergency use, high light level.

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks another challenge for you!

We need a decent flashlight to keep indoors for emergencies(power cuts). We're looking for something pretty damn bright, as in lights up the hallway well sort of thing, not some pretty pathetically dim lights I've got in the past from places like Argos(never again..).

If possible something running on NiMH AA's or 14500's would be preferable, but honestly any battery type is fine as long as it can be recharged.

Something under £20($31) if possible, could go a little over if there's a real gem $5 above sort of thing. Obviously not expecting miracles for this price point, but my akoray was fantastic for it's bargain of $13, way better then anything I could get over here. Perfect small size for peering into tarantula burrows haha! I know deal extreme quite well, something from there would be good. I'm based in the UK just in case folks recommend a site without international shipping.

cheers for any recommendations guys.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
How about a lantern ? ( or two )

Check the lantern subforum here .

I did suggest something like that, this is more for my mum actually, she seems set on a torch for what ever reason. But I'll give that sub-forum a look.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite indoor lights is the romisen rc-c6 which I use with an extension tube to make it 2xAA. I got the warm white version from shiningbeam which I find really handy and the perfectly smooth floodiness of the beam is also really great for light up rooms and close up situations. On 2 eneloops it runs for about 3 hours, don't know if that is enough for your needs. You can also get the rc-29 which uses just 1xAA. If you want to go even cheaper, from what I understand most of these zoom to throw lights are fairly similar and will all get the job done rather nicely.

Some other options might be one of the terralux 2xAA lights, a minimag LED, the kingpower k1 from shininbeam or the solarforce L2R with an R2 drop-in(can be had off of ebay for around 23 bucks with free shipping).

My vote is for the romisen though. It is a very well built versatile light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simple but very effective 120 lumens AA cell with clicky switch available from CPC in Preston.

120Lumenstorch.jpg

Case not included,collect in person or via mail.Think I paid about a tenner.

I run mine on a single Eneloop or similar.

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
Just got myself a few Solarforce L2P, each with 200+ lumens LED, and 3.0v Rechargeable 123a's. Their cheap costs allow me to put 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs. Hi-end brands are in my office and bedroom :)

red02

Enlightened
Check out the Romisen RC-series lights. Judging from the reviews they are a step above Ultrafire and most other DX/KD brands.

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac p100a2-about 35 bucks with the cpf discount from lightjunction, and puts out 205 lumens on 2 aa batteries.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at this thread.
At worst this dropin is 400 lumens and at best it is 600 lumens.
You will need either a C or a D Maglite as the host ... I use a 2C and I use two 18500 Li-Ion batteries though it will work OK with two C cells ... If you have an old Maglite , this showerhead will fit easily ... It will work with from 2 to 6 batteries as long as you don't go over 9 volts ... For $24 it is amazing ... It is a floody beam using 36 Nichia LEDs , each of 11 lumens.

My Wife thinks it is amazing ... Still , don't just take her word for it ... Try one.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/277748

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac p100a2-about 35 bucks with the cpf discount from lightjunction, and puts out 205 lumens on 2 aa batteries.

+1

The P100 and T100 series are really good light's regardless of price I still use my P100C2 because of the great throw, good build and nice runtimes especially on general mode. Mode changing is easy via tighten/looses head, the P100 and T100 light's are still my best lights for the price. Also the Fenix TK20 is really popular around CPF but that will cost you ~$15 over your budget

http://www.lightjunction.com/eaglet...=83_86&zenid=302ce1ea0a23fcee48dfd5ef5b81f9b6

Here is also a great 2xAA roundup review of several AA light's by selfbuilt.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is your mum?
2D LED Maglite would be my preference for power outages. Never know how long the blackout will last. (I do not recommend the 3D as a lot of chargers only charge 2 or 4)

2AA LED Maglite.

Remember you need LOW SELF DISCHARGE NiMH. Regular NiMH would be dead when a power outage comes around.

14500 is OUT. Never give a flashlight using explosion prone lithium batteries to a non-flashholic. Unless you know the recipient knows how to handle them safely. And is diligent enough to follow the procedures consistently.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Mcnair55: That case looks familiar... same one that Tesco were knocking out for about a quid perchance? I too have found it the ideal shape and size for storing a selection 1xAA/1xAAA flashlights and a pair of battery cases containing 4 each AA and AAA cells :)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcnair55: That case looks familiar... same one that Tesco were knocking out for about a quid perchance? I too have found it the ideal shape and size for storing a selection 1xAA/1xAAA flashlights and a pair of battery cases containing 4 each AA and AAA cells :)

Great minds think a like lol.It was a quid but that one is from the American Traveler series that Home bargains were knocking out,as you say make a great holder for a light and stock of batteries,I bought a couple of extra and bought my lad a nice light for xmas last year:thumbsup: and stuffed a few batteries in the case for him.