If you only had one, what would it be?

Auzivision

Newly Enlightened

My head is about to explode reading all the different threads on here. I never new there were so many choices when it came to flashlights. I find it rather fascinating, but don't want to start another hobby.

All I'm looking for is something that is simple, small, light, efficient, handy, rugged, practical, reasonable priced (say $15 to $50 tops)… the less expensive the better. This will be used by an average Joe home owner that may go camping, look behind appliances or under cars and walk the dog at night.

I've had a 5 D Maglite for 20 years that's worked flawlessly. I wouldn't mind having one of the new LED/CREE types that I would hope would last at least 10 years and just work when I need it.

I'm looking for something that is good enough without being over the top. What would you recommend and why?

adamjh3

Newly Enlightened
Check out the ITP SA1. Nifty little light, four modes, pocket clip, runs on a single AA, right around $40

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I'm looking for is something that is simple, small, light, efficient, handy, rugged, practical, reasonable priced (say $15 to $50 tops)… the less expensive the better. This will be used by an average Joe home owner that may go camping, look behind appliances or under cars and walk the dog at night.

Based on this description I'd get one of the Zebralights

jblackwood

Enlightened
Fill this out, post the results here, wait for answers, then you can get your light and bid this forum adieu. The longer you dally, the greater the chances are that you'll be pulled in. Not that we'd mind the company! :thumbsup::welcome:

Hellbore

Enlightened
Come to the dark side... it is your DESTINY!
evilgrin07.gif

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've been happy with a Mag 5D for 20 years, then you could pick any light from a reputable maker in whatever battery configuration meets your needs and be happy with it.

My current recommendation for non-hobbyist would the Quark Mini AA in whatever tint you prefer (~$40).

If you want a button on the side rather than a twisty, the Zebralight SC50 in whatever tint you prefer (~60).

These two lights have UIs that are easy for the non-hobbyist to grasp which is why I recommend them.

Both run on a single AA battery (I recommend non-alkaline cells to avoid a leaky cell ruining your light) and, thanks to the fact that their lower modes are as bright as your single mode Mag 5D, you can get as many hours out of 1 AA cell as you're currently getting on 5D cells with the incandescent bulb.

If *I* could only have 1 light, it'd be the Quark AA with neutral tint, but I'm afraid to recommend it to a non-hobbyist since every non-hobbyist I've met has had issues getting used to the half-click mode selection.

--flatline

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it rather fascinating, but don't want to start another hobby.

Then get yourself one of the multi-mode LED Mini Maglites. They're good lights, cheap and readily available at most brick-and-mortar shops. And then steer clear of this forum because you can't desire what you don't know about. Otherwise a year from now you'll be spending $200 on a flashlight, completely convinced that it's a perfectly rational, reasonable, and sensible thing to do.

I know, because that's what happened to me. My high CRI Ra Clicky should be here any day now. :D

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are happy with your maggie,convert it to run on Led if that is possible on the d cell type and get off cpf for good otherwise you will be drawn into our web and drain your wallet.:D

:welcome: I dare you to leave.

Auzivision

Newly Enlightened
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
__X__I can spend $15-30.
__X__I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

__X__I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

__X__I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

_yes___I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
_maybe___I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
_no___I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__have plenty of free Habor Frieght lights already__I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__Yes__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__Yes__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__Yes__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
_Maybe__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|--X--------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
__Ok__240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
__even better__360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

__X__I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__X__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

__X__I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off is fine for me.
__Better__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__NO__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__No__I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
__What?__I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
__X__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
_Nice___Waterproof – how deep: _10 feet____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
_nice___Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
__nice__Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your list, I would say any of the ITP AA lights, or maybe a Quark AA Mini (neutral white/warm white make colors appear slightly more "true" outdoors).

For maximum runtimes, stick with Energizer Lithium AA's. Yes, they are expensive, but they will provide much, much, much longer runtimes in your light than ANY alkaline battery will. (I have a Fenix LD20, which uses 2 AA. With 2alkaline's, ie: Duracell/Energizer, I get about 10 minutes or less of full output on "Turbo" mode. With either Ni-MH rechargeable AA's, or Energizer Lithium's, I get 1.5hours + of continuous runtime. A very big difference, and well worth the cost.)
-------------------
Truthfully, I f I could only have one light, I would definitely go with my Ra Clicky 140narrow. It is the most durable, user friendly, efficient light I have ever had the pleasure to own or use. And I would have suggested one to you, if you hadn't set your budget so low, and stated that you don't really want to use "un-common" battery types (CR123, which, by the way, are MUCH cheaper online, when ordering in quantities of 10+. Cheaper than Energizer Lithium AA's in your local store (@ ~$2.50/battery).)

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Whatever light you get, I highly recommend that you go with eneloop rechargables. They won't leak in your light when you leave it alone for awhile. I've had two maglights where the batteries leaked and ruined it. My fault for not checking it periodically, but if you want yours to work for longer periods of inactivity, then you should consider it. Aside from that, if you're hell-bent on alkaline batts, get a light with a battery tube that detaches from the head like the Quark series so that if it does leak you can get at the battery from both ends.

I'm not familiar with the ITP lights others are suggesting, but if you really only want two levels (like your survey says), take a look at the light in the Leatherman gift pack that's available from Costco. I got one that was similar and had just the two levels (runs on one AA). Mine didn't have a clip, though, which I see you'd like. It was a 100 lumen repackaged/rebranded Fenix L1T. It had a lanyard but not clip and was $50.

Remember, Quark MiNis don't have pocket clips and if you're hell-bent on having your alkalines in your premium light (big no-no for most of us), a leaking battery will get stuck in the MiNi indefinitely since the head is sealed. The clip isn't bad on the Quarks and is removable if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Auzivision

Newly Enlightened
Wow, you guys are on it… I have to admit that IPT line looks perfect!

I noticed the SA2 is the same price as the SA1 and wouldn't mind it being a little bit bigger… easier to find amongst clutter garage work bench, plus a little brighter sounds good too.

The Quark mini just doesn't do anything for me, just looks like a tube. The IPT looks like what I think a flashlight should look like. I'm sure that RA Clicky is the bomb, but I can't justify $100 plus for a flashlight. I do think some of these look like weapons or rifle scopes and do some amazing things, which is cool, but not my cup to tea.

I should say I'm not afraid of trying different battery technology such as the cr123… so long as I can buy a bunch of batteries and they have decent shelf life. Do these hold up even when not in use? I know my old mag gets new batteries at least one every other year… well maybe not that often. Will they still be good three years from now?

I forgot I have a 2 AA mini mag somewhere… can that be converted to LED? I wouldn't mind upgrading the 5D… it's has some sentimental value with my name engraved in the side. Maybe that's why I never misplaced it.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD10 R4 (http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=117)

It's built like a little tank, it runs on a single AA and it's among the brightest 1xAA consumer lights on the market. It *does* have strobe/SOS modes, but so does the Quark line-up so you can't really get out of that.

If any of my non-flashaholic friends asked me for a general use, durable 1xAA light, that's the one I'd be giving them.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still thinking on what flashlight would fit your needs best. But I wanted to chime in and say that CR123s have a very good shelf life (roughly 10 years I think).

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a doubt, I'd choose the Romisen RC-29 II in Neutral White, exclusively from Shininbeam.com for about $23 shipped (in the USA). A forward-clicking 1xAA, it uses an adjustable aspherical lens to let you dial in as much flood as you like--or as little. I can't remember the last time a light gave me such cheap thrills, at any price.

Auzivision

Newly Enlightened
LD10 is not bad; looks a little like a telephoto lens. So will one of these little lights really put out (or close to) my old trusty Mag? Doubt any of these little ones will double as hammer though… LOL

If the cr123 is noticeably better, I could go that route. I don't multi modes so long as it is fairly simple to use.

m3flies

Banned
Auzivision. Take the advice of jblackwood and mcnair55. Buy your light and run, don't walk. This site is like the Hotel California. Can't wait for my Ra EDC 140 Twisty to arrive.