My new MG P-Rocket Broke, Can anyone change the emitter?

warm-tint

Newly Enlightened
I just got a MG P-Rocket, used it for about an hour and the smudge on the inside of the lense was irritating me so I figured I clean it. BAD IDEA!!! When I unscrewed the head the dome came off with the reflector and now the light doesn't work at all??? I been searching for anyone who can maybe put an other emitter in for me but can't seem to find anybody. Will P60 drop-ins fit/work in it?? I am would send the light to you and pay for an emitter/service. It had a neutral white SST-50 and would like the same or MC-E in warm or neutral. Please help. I feel stupid!!

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
There are plenty of people here who can change an emitter.
Where are you located? And you don't need to feel stupid, something like that has happened to anyone here. I also killed one sst-90 with current ;)

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warm-Tint, I can help you out no trouble. No info in your profile... I'm in Kingston, Ontario, Canada Post is excellent.

I've done several MG PLI (for-runner to P-rocket) and MG RX-1 mods and emitter swaps. I have some ssr-50's and mc-e's on hand. Of course if you source your part that's great too: you'll buy them for yourself eventually, question is just when you start. You'll need to pay costs but no charge for the swap.

PM me in a few days when you've got enough posts and your messaging is enabled.

I suspect you'll recieve better offers from people who are closer to you, which is great. I just figured I'd say:welcome: with a "I can help you out" included.

Best,
Linger
(P.S. I'll be away Friday-Wednesday. You'll need to reply ASAP, or sit tight until I'm back).

Last edited:

warm-tint

Newly Enlightened
Sorry everybody. I'm new at this. I am located in Hawaii on the Big Island. I don't know why I can't pm anyone??

(Fichtenelch)
That's good to hear. I was feeling pretty hopless about finding someone to help.

(LINGER)
Are any of those emitters warm or neutral tint??
Would you be interested in doing a new MG X-Thrower to?? It was working and now it just flashes realy low glow then dies?? Tried everything and still not working. I'm frustrated. Just spent $130 for both and now I'm light-less. I will pm you when I can.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG X-Thrower to?? It was working and now it just flashes realy low glow then dies??
Basic trouble shooting: Depleted batteries? tailcap contact made? (there's a small retaining ring in the tail, sometimes it unscrews and leads to intermittent contact, a pair of tweezers or sharp needle nose pliers can tighten it up.

There's a few CPF people near you. But it'd be good if you could work some of this out for yourself (atleast the x-thrower which still completes a circuit.) The MG lights should not be falling appart on you so there's a good chance that there is a simple user fix for it.
It's too bad about the de-domed -50 in the pocket rocket. Some people have had success taking the domes off (accidentally) and getting increased throw, sad your ceased functioning all together.

Best,

P.S. Yes, neutral tint is an option.

cccpull

Enlightened
Doesn't sound right that you're having problems with both MG's. I would suggest you first contact Bryan at Shiningbeam.

warm-tint

Newly Enlightened
Bryan at shiningbeam.com has always had excellent service for all my mg lights. I would contact him but on his website under the mg descriptions it clearly states not to open the head as it will void the warranty. Since I opened them both I will not contact him for repairs.
I have other mg lights and the rx-1 which is another great mg. I think I just screwed the p-rocket myself. As for the x-thrower, I cleaned all contacts even changed the tailcap and is still comes on very low flash for a split second and then nothing. I tried fresh primaries and just charged 18650's. Both the same results.

In my pocket rocket since it was totally dead I took the pill out to have a look in the body. Does anyone know if a P60 from nailbender fit in there?

I have many (8)fenix, (2)4sevens, (1)jetbeam and (3)mg's and so I do know a little about flashlights (maintaining them) but don't really understand the emitters and I do understand the contacts and stuff. I checked out the dx link and everything still broke.

I will be contacting linger and whoever replies for help. I will send you the whole light or the pill if you need it. So now I have two light which both are my fault (NOT BRYAN!!) Up for fixing. Neutral or warm mc-e, sst-50 or sst-90.

I am new here and didn't expect such a good response at all. I just want to say thanks for all your time.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many (8)fenix, (2)4sevens, (1)jetbeam and (3)mg's and so I do know a little about flashlights (maintaining them)
OK, good to know. Hopefully you understand I was just covering all bases.

but don't really understand the emitters and I do understand the contacts and stuff. I checked out the dx link and everything still broke.

I will send you the whole light or the pill if you need it.
Possibly just the pill, good call. Earlier MG's are NOT p60 compatable. You could check if other MG rx1 fits P rocket (MG Rx1 and MG PLI are same), and that may make changing your emitter real cheap ($2+ insurance for postage) but if the x-thrower is finicky it may require the whole light.

warm-tint

Newly Enlightened

Ok. Good news. I tried the rx-1 pill in the new p-rocket and x-thrower and it works in both. The reflector fits good to.

Linger
Would you happen to have two pills I could buy with warm emitters on them? If not can I send you both my pills for sst-50 warm upgrades? The x-thrower fit the rx-1 pill perfectly centered and the reflector didn't look to touch it. They both worked fine which tells me both pills Need to be repaired/replaced..