LS4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
I know this has probably been answered before, but around when are we expecting the LS4 to roll out?

Now that I'm at it, the LS4 vs LS5 is a 1w to a 3w diffrence, right? So, basically brighter or any new stuff for LS5 on the horizon?

thanks,
Ardy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
Read this. The release info is on peter's most recent post I believe. The LS5 is brighter than the LS4, and will come with a 2xCR123 tail pack instead of the single CR123 pack that will come with the LS4, but I am pretty sure they will be interchangealbe.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ardy,

Read the mega-huge thread on the LS4 (68 pages at present, I think) but do it in threaded-mode. Just read all of Peter Gransee's posts, and you will have all of your questions answered.

The LS4 uses a (nominal) 1 Watt LS, and the LS5 uses a (nominal) 5 Watt LS. That's one annoying thing, to my mind. People say a "five watt" this and a "five watt" that, but the LED is invariably driven at less than that. The SF L4 is a case in point.

But anyway the LS4 will drive the LS at less than a watt, except for burst mode, and the LS5 will drive the LS at around 3 watts, except for burst mode. Actually the drive current is really the variable to look at. Of course, both models have a range of light levels to choose from. Check out the thread. Also, as far as we know the LS5 will be basically the same as the LS4, only brighter and bigger, but who knows what the future will hold? Exciting, isn't it?

Hope this helps, and anyone feel free to correct me if I've erred.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything sounds correct except the LS4 is overdriven at boost (700mA) and it's highest setting (500mA).

The LS5 is underdriven at high (3watt) but overdriven at boost (6watt).

And remember I groused about the "5 watt" moniker in a seperate thread. I think it is misleading to the consumer to call a light a "5 watt" when it is not driven at 5 watts. I even considering not calling the LS5 the "LS5" because it might mislead people. It was called LS5 because that was the next number in the sequence. I probally will still change the name though.

Peter

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I do remember that you groused about the "5 watt" monkier in a separate thread. That's where I got my info in the first place! Sorry if my response above was unclear. I meant to indicate that Arc Flashlight did NOT fall into that situation, in that you give us all complete information and not just a nominal LED value.

Anyway, thanks very much for pointing that situation out (in both threads and all threads). It cleared up some things for me when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.