Which Jetbeam?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've always liked the Jetbeam magnetic ring ui. I know that only a few models have it. Of the 2 x CR123a sized models that have the ring ui, which is the best thrower?
no turbo-heads or big emitters so we're talking r2 or Q5 sized emitters with normal sized heads.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
The RRT-1 has the bigger head and bigger reflector, so there will be more throw on the RRT-1. Emitter and UI are 100% same.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The RRT-1 has the bigger head and bigger reflector, so there will be more throw on the RRT-1. Emitter and UI are 100% same.

And both have the magnetic ring UI? I assume both would out throw the RRT-0?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
And both have the magnetic ring UI? I assume both would out throw the RRT-0?

Yes, they both have more output than the RRT-0 so should out-throw it. The RRT-1 would be best for that, but it might be bigger than you want, so the RRT-2 would be the choice. Just go to JetBeam's website (jetbeamusa.com) and check them out to decide which would be best for you.

I've been eyeing an RRT-2 myself for a while now as a primary house light / emergency use light. But, I just bought a Pro-III ST so I have to let my funds recoup for a while before buying anything else.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, they both have more output than the RRT-0 so should out-throw it. The RRT-1 would be best for that, but it might be bigger than you want, so the RRT-2 would be the choice. Just go to JetBeam's website (jetbeamusa.com) and check them out to decide which would be best for you.

I've been eyeing an RRT-2 myself for a while now as a primary house light / emergency use light. But, I just bought a Pro-III ST so I have to let my funds recoup for a while before buying anything else.

I'm in the same boat. Just bought a G5 (breaking my $100 rule). The UI of the G5 makes me fien for a Jetbeam with a nice simple magnetic ring. I will have to wait until September and once I choose the one I want I'll look to the Marketplace first.

LowFlux

Enlightened
RRT-1 definitely has sharper, more defined hotspot then the RRT-2. I prefer the RRT-2 though because it's easily more pocketable (then the RRT1). The RRT-2 lacks a clip. Also, neither light offers a very low Low so if that is important to you, be warned. I don't mind the bright Low so much though as it's all concentrated into the hotspot with reasonable spill.

I have a smooth-reflector version of both RRT-1 and RRT-2, with XP-E R2s. I've heard there are textured RRT-2 lights out there so if throw is important you might want to be discerning. I've never seen a textured RRT-2 though so I cannot say how it compares.

I haven't bought any Jetbeam released since the RRT-2 as I've been put off by the troubles the RRT-0 and M2S initially had. My M1X and III-M have been very solid (as has the RRT-1 and 2). I have some concerns over the quality of Jetbeam heatsinking from other CPF threads I've seen here (lack of thermal paste, potting, etc); I'm new enough to this hobby that I don't really feel confident in my skill to assess how good my own equipment is. They definitely don't pot their LEDs like Malkoff!

Last edited:

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I have both. The RRT1 throws further but is more cumbersome to carry around in a pocket. The RRT2 is a nice all around light. I also have a JET-IIIM and prefer that over the RRT2. I like the lower low on it, and prefer the UI. It isn't very difficult to change the second setting on it if you want to. That said the RRT2 is still a great light with plenty of throw for normal use. It's just a matter of personal preference for me. I'm actually thinking about putting my RRT2 on the marketplace for sale.

Mark Mck

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-2 is an excellent choice. I have the RRT-0, RRT-1, RRT-2 and RRT-3. If you want something with more throw than most EDC lights and want something that can be carried reasonably as a EDC, the RRT-2 is the one to choose out of the lights listed. I use my RRT-0 more than the others listed but I generally do not need allot of throw.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my RRT-2 I really can't think of a reason not to own one, if you can withstand a bit of a larger light on your belt for EDC you can also order the large Jetbeam holster that works well with it.

I love their ring design it's so smooth and functional and the light is built like a tank, cool light and I was like you split between the RRT1 and 2 but I chose the 2 for it's smaller size. One day I may order the RRT1 but I'm very happy with the RRT2.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my RRT-2 I really can't think of a reason not to own one, if you can withstand a bit of a larger light on your belt for EDC you can also order the large Jetbeam holster that works well with it.

I love their ring design it's so smooth and functional and the light is built like a tank, cool light and I was like you split between the RRT1 and 2 but I chose the 2 for it's smaller size. One day I may order the RRT1 but I'm very happy with the RRT2.

When I was deciding on a JB I seriously considered the T-2 but eventually went with the III ST because its smaller size and weight, and its more evenly spaced settings.

I'd love to have the ring UI on a light for my bike helmet, but the T series lights don't have an even enough spacing for my needs... So now I want to see a III ST or a I V3 with the ring UI! :D