Telling the truth in Iraq

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Copyright law and internet forums:

As I understand the law, you can excerpt up to 199 words of a longer article, but any more than that is actionable by the copyright holder, even if properly attributed as you have done. Better to be safe than sorry- NYT (and several other papers) has sicced lawyers on another forum that I frequent for this.

And CPF guidelines ask that you keep quotes to under 100 words with a link to the original article.

For present and future reference, here is a "generic" user name / password that works at the NYT:
USER: sinkemperor
PW: willard
This ought to work until they purge their registered member list again, which they seem to do every few months.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,
Thanks for posting that, normally the news crews only focus on flashy news. I was in northern Iraq and delt with the Kurds on a daily basis, they want peace and rebuild their country. This is not going to be easy (look at Yugoslavia now) Mix nationalism, religion and traditions together and you have insanity stew! The way to prevent this is to instill hope in the populace and always strive to improve no matter what the cost.
The "Arab World" is not too thrilled with a free Iraq, it will destabilize their autocratic governments over time. I am sure that Syria and Iran are happy to see American faces looking at them on their borders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Countries dominated by a religion tend to be a real cluster to deal with. Look at the mess Europe was in the middle ages (The Christian Millenium) Very violent and heading backwards instead of forwards. Luckily for Europe, they had the Arabs to trade with and slowly they pulled their head out of their collective asses. It took a thousand years for that to happen. Figure 30 years for Iraq to be free with the first 5 years a royal pain to stabilize the country.
Attaturk did it for Turkey when he was alive, he changed the alphabet, brought in intellectuals to teach in schools (Jewish ones!) he modernised Turkey. Iraq needs an Attaturk for themselves, an Iraqi with vision and will not stop until he sees the vision become reality. I wish all the Iraqis well, it is not going to be easy but they can do it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
You have just broken copyright laws. This could literally get CPF sued. I recommend you take it off and just post a link before David or Sasha finds out. I'd do it myself it this was one of my forums.

A "generic" user name / password that works at the NYT is:
USER: sinkemperor
PW: willard

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Silviron! Glad you caught that, I had no idea.
So a link is ok but copying, even with attribution, is illegal. Does that also apply to brief quotes?

OK, I forgot that my question was answered in CPF's guidelines. I am embarassed by this lapse./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks again,
Brightnorm

Empath

Flashaholic
Item number 5 will give you the guidelines and rules.

I never got to see what you posted at the start of the thread. Do you have a link to the article?

Oh! You posted the link at the same time I was asking. Thanks.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the bright future hinted at by this article is indeed what lies ahead.

batterystation

Enlightened
One of our local National Guard men is over there now building barracks and etc. at and near the airport. We get email from him every few weeks. He says it is a real mess over there. Most of the Iraqi people seem to hate us.
I think we need to get done and get out FAST.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just the opposite of what I hear from troops who are actually "in the street" Batterystation... According to them a majority of the general populace are glad we came. Not an overwhelming majority maybe, but a definite one.

It does seem to be a thing that varies neighborhood by neighborhood and town by town. Maybe your friend is in one of the areas with the major malcontents.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing is for sure, I know how Americans would feel if a foreign power invaded the U.S., overwhelmed our military and started occupying our towns and cities. Just imagine that the people of this foreign power didn't look like us, talk like us and had an entirely different religion.

Then imagine that instead of a couple of days with no power, we had months of no power and 120 degree temperatures.

So...maybe Iraqis feel differently than what we'd feel.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always hate to generalize an entire population as for us or agains us. It all depends on who you talk to, where they're at, etc...

It's like saying that all Americans like baseball, apple pie and think Iraqis are ignorant and useless. Out of that description, I only like the apple pie...

My wife has seen both sides in Iraq.
She's treated Iraqi civilians who have been hurt in the cross fire who have been grateful for the American's help. She's also encountered quite a few who hated her and the "opressive country" that she stood for.

She's treated EPWs who hated Americans just for being there and she's also treated a few who felt that they were wrong in what they did. They changed their opinions of the Americans after they saw that Americans were not doing the terrible things that they had believed/were told the Americans would do.

She's encountered kids who only wanted to have a conversation in English. She's had others yell obscenities at her.

Most of the population is just wanting to get on with their lives. It's the media who show the little groups chanting slogans and old women criticising that give us these impressions because it drives up ratings.

-Jason

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I know that if Hillary gets elected president I hope some foreign army invades and frees me from her despotic rule.

I'm only half joking.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silviron, I already have to deal with Hillary Rotten Clinton as a representative, if she got elected president I'd swim to Cuba. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif