Why is C2 More Popular Here than Z2?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've been watching the marketplace for a while and I never see a Z2 for sale. I rarely hear people speak about the Z2 as a host either? The 6P and the C2 seem to get most of the love. Is there a reason other than the clip? I don't like the clip hence my interest in the Z2.

carrot

Flashaholic
The clip is a big factor for me. But also the Z2 doesn't come hard anodized and the C2 does. I prefer the C2. But the Z2 is sweet and stylish... Wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wondered about that too. I like my 6P over the C2. But I'm interested in trying out the new Z2-S.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The clip is a big factor for me. But also the Z2 doesn't come hard anodized and the C2 does. I prefer the C2. But the Z2 is sweet and stylish... Wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

I prefer the cheaper annodization anyway so that's not a factor for me. IME HAIII chips also - at least the way I use them. Oveready doesn't do a cerakote model and that's the only drawback I see.

Actually another big drawback is the lack of used ones for sale. Hate to pay retail! LOL

Last edited:

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
I don't have either but it seems to me that the C2 has nearly everything that the Z2 has to offer and then some. The only thing it lacks is grip ring adjustability, something that most people probably don't care too much about, and in return you get a clip that makes carrying the C2 much easier. It's just a more versatile light as opposed to the weaponlight dedication of the Z2.

The C2 is high on my "to buy" list.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have either but it seems to me that the C2 has nearly everything that the Z2 has to offer and then some. The only thing it lacks is grip ring adjustability, something that most people probably don't care too much about, and in return you get a clip that makes carrying the C2 much easier. It's just a more versatile light as opposed to the weaponlight dedication of the Z2.

The C2 is high on my "to buy" list.

I'll probably end up with a C2 because they go on sale more often but I just hate the feeling of the clip in my hand. Does the clip come off of the C2?

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
I own both, and I prefer the Z2`s slimmer body as it is easier to hold using the combatgrip. I don`t like the black Type II anodizing and the lack of a clip though, so that`s why the C2 is my favourite of the two.

carrot

Flashaholic
I prefer the cheaper annodization anyway so that's not a factor for me. IME HAIII chips also - at least the way I use them. Oveready doesn't do a cerakote model and that's the only drawback I see.

Actually another big drawback is the lack of used ones for sale. Hate to pay retail! LOL
I chip Type III ano (HA) all the time. It's a fact of life. I just deal with it. Coating on lights is not a big concern of mine but I'll usually go for HA instead of Type II anyway. Even if they do chip, they seem to wear better.

The HA helps protect the softer aluminum underneath... when exposed to abrasion, on Type II lights the knurling wears away much faster than on HA lights, for example.

sfca

Enlightened
I'll probably end up with a C2 because they go on sale more often but I just hate the feeling of the clip in my hand. Does the clip come off of the C2?

Of course! Though it's much better with the clip on. :thumbsup:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive had a few chances to handle both at my local gunshop. i actually like the feel of the Z2 more. it just felt better in my hand than the C2. thing about the C2 is i think it looks nice. im shallow :rolleyes: also the HA thing.

brett09

Newly Enlightened
ive had a few chances to handle both at my local gunshop. i actually like the feel of the Z2 more. it just felt better in my hand than the C2. thing about the C2 is i think it looks nice. im shallow :rolleyes: also the HA thing.

+1, the Z2 is probably the most comfortable flashlights to hold I've ever held. It seems they're is no possible way to drop it when you get your hands wrapped around it. I prefer the Z2 over the C2, I'm actually looking to buy another soon.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno about C2 over Z2, but I carry a G2Z with aluminum bezel and M60. Saves a few ounces, and I *do* like the ring adjustability.

And if you're doing it right, you should be using a holster anyway.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I like the way it looks and the way it feels in the hand. The flats feel pretty good in between the fingers when you're using the cigar grip.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Dunno about C2 over Z2, but I carry a G2Z with aluminum bezel and M60. Saves a few ounces, and I *do* like the ring adjustability.

And if you're doing it right, you should be using a holster anyway.

Agreed. Can your setup handle the heat from an R5 at 1.5 amps?

red02

Enlightened
Agreed. Can your setup handle the heat from an R5 at 1.5 amps?

It should, no amount of heat generated by the LED will hurt the Nitrolon. I think there was a thread somewhere were a user put a full power dropin into a G2 (I forget which dropin) and thought it had thermal control because it was dimming. The dimming was due to the heat that was trapped in the plastic (water proof = air proof) and they didn't notice it.

My G2Z has an Al bezel so I don't worry. I exchanged a Nitrolon G2Z for it and the difference is not noticeable. 15min is the recommended maximum (not by Surefire, by Malkoff) for running full power LED modules in total Nitrolon lights. If you want a LED in there get a G2ZL or G2L with P60 compatibility while they're still sold by some places.

TL;DR more no than yes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've found the grip-ring on the Z2 to be a bit too soft for it's intended use. The one on the C2 is thicker and doesn't flex even a bit. And the clip was another huge factor, for me.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, the Z2 is probably the most comfortable flashlights to hold I've ever held. It seems they're is no possible way to drop it when you get your hands wrapped around it. I prefer the Z2 over the C2, I'm actually looking to buy another soon.

For much the same reason, I strongly prefer the 6Z to both the Z2 and C2. The full-round body requires absolutely no grip indexing - it's always "right." If I were buying a replacement from current production, I'd buy a G2Z LED (again, for the full round body) and put a Malkoff M60 or M61 into it.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
bah you people and your fancy Z2 lights. Its all about the 6Z laser products!!!! haha.

I like the C2 as well because of the pocket clip.

I dont like how the G2Z, Z2 or 6Z rings have tendency to slide forward.

although the G2Z doesnt do that as easily due to the nitrolon.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Z2 - it just feels so much better in the hand for me.

The only thing I ever use the clip for on my C2 is for extra gripability, so the lack of a clip on the Z2 isn't an issue for me.

That said, it's hard not to love both.

-Trevor