Bored out 6P with McClicky and SST50....not working.

agony

Newly Enlightened
Recently got a 6P bored out for an 18650 battery. I have an SST50 drop in that works great in either a Surefire 6P with 2xCR123, and also works great in a Solarforce with 18650.

Nothing happens when running it in the bored-out 6P. Seems like there isn't enough 'springiness' either behind the drop in or in the tailcap. How do I fix this? Will a little magnet work to give the 18650 a tighter fit? If so, which side do I put the magnet? Are there any dangers in running a magnet? Or is there a longer alternative spring I can use in either the McClicky or under the LED module?

houtex

Enlightened
Try adding a little spring around the base of the drop-in to make sure it contacts the inner body of the light.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
First step in trouble shooting is variable reduction. Bezel, body, tailcap, drop in, battery, switch - plenty of questions.

Fastest way to determine if the body is the culprit is to build a configuration that is working (6P + CR123), and leaving everything else, put the bored body in place of the unbored body. If it still works, go to the next variable.

agony

Newly Enlightened
ElectronGuru,
Yup, did the variable reduction thing....it boils down to the fact that the 18650 battery is just a wee bit shorter than two stacked CR123s. The battery is a Tenergy protected 2600. I have four of them, and was hoping they would work before I plunk down some more cash for the AW batteries....and even then I'm not sure that will work either.

houtex,
The drop in won't work/fit with the outer removeable spring. Any good suggestions on a decent spring to use? And is the problem that the lack of an outer spring is not 'grounding' the drop-in?

simplec6,
It's the SST50 from batteryjunction.

bkumanski

Enlightened
with a bored out 6p, grounding very well could be your problem. A full spring may not work, and I have cut one down to just over one complete ring and it works. I know I don't have your exact setup, but depending on the body (bored 6P, Dereelight CL1H) I put various Dereelight, Thrunite, and Nailbender dropins into, I have about 4 different springs ranging from a single ring to a full spring to get it to fit and make good contact.

Hope this is an easy fix!:thumbsup: