• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milky's U2by2 *SOLD*

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
For sale I have a copy of one of Milky's famous U2by2 builds. The platform is a mint first generation 18650-compatible Surefire U2 (serial# A05361). To that Scott added four near neutral tint Rebel 100s in 10mm reflectors (for a slightly floodier beam relative to the model suited with 12mm reflectors) and a custom Stardust silicone foam Capfix. It boasts 500 lumens on Max and the adjustment ring allows for 6 distinct brightness settings. This platform and output is stellar.

Here's the caveat: On the highest levels the unit begins to flicker after a period of constant on-time. I have tested it and have only been able to induce flickering on the two highest levels. From a cold start the flickering typically begins after about 9 minutes on max. I have only been able to induce flicker on a single occasion on a second highest level start and it began after about 14 minutes of constant on-time. Once the flickering starts the unit seems to bump down to the next output level. The lower outputs haven't had issues in my experience. In Scott's opinion the flicker is due to a fault in the driver. For my application, the flicker introduces just enough of an issue with long periods of on-time use (I originally commissioned the light for use in remote wilderness biological research) that I'm going to pass this light on to another lucky and more momentary or short-term use oriented flashaholic (there seem to be no issues on any level with more short-term and more momentary operation). I'm asking $325 shipped (CONUS). Insurance extra. I accept PayPal (gift option).

There are reviews/posts/sales threads regarding this build

HERE (beamshots here)

HERE

HERE

HERE

and HERE

Pictures of the light for sale:

Front and back:
U22.jpg

From the front:
U21.jpg

Thanks for looking! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
Damon

Last edited:

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Re: Milky's U2by2 *last price drop*

Last price drop...I'll leave this up for a few more days and then :poof:, it will go back into the vault. :grin2:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a shame it went bad on you, I wonder how difficult/expensive it would be to get repaired........Did Scott give you any idea? It is even the desirable 18650 model, hopefully someone will pick it up.

toby_pra

Flashaholic

That is really a bargain for a classic...

These nomally cost up to 600$. For one who uses this light only
momentary its a great deal!!! :thumbsup:

mglamb

Newly Enlightened

Sorry, have to pass on this one. Good luck with your sale!

Last edited:

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened

What Tony said......

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197402

Great light and I'd imagine Milky could swap out the driver pretty easily, if that's your worry.

Good luck with your sale.

MSax

I like the light alot, but already have $175 invested in the 18650-friendly host, and more than that invested in the build. I could have Scott move the build into a new host but it took a very long time to get to where I am now and I'm just not sure I want to hunt down another host and start the process over again. The light is phenomenal... the spill, color temperature, and UI are tremendous. It's one of my favorite Milky builds, but I've got resources tied up in it and I'd sort of made an executive decision to cut my losses and find another solution. I still have mixed feelings about my decision... if this light worked the way I'd like it to it would be PERFECT for my application. For short-term use it's great but for me... being miles from pavement in the middle of an inhospitable, unforgiving, and snake-filled desert at night... I can't risk not needing it for longer runtimes at higher levels.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why not send it back to Scott and have him at least diagnose the problem, I would assume he stands behind his builds enough to do that for you?

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

:wave: if you still have the U2BY2 up for sale i will take it. (325.00) if this is correct let me know paypal info. THANKS.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
Re: Milky's U2by2 *SPF*

Why not send it back to Scott and have him at least diagnose the problem, I would assume he stands behind his builds enough to do that for you?

Scott did diagnose the problem as he discovered it during testing before returning the completed build to me. Scott is very fair and most certainly stands behind his builds. He tested every aspect of the light prior to sending it to me and "a minor fault in the driver" was the conclusion. The U2by2 uses the stock driver and as such, the flicker was something inherent to the host I provided and was not caused by Scott's modification. He offered to move it to a new host should I wish to provide one, but I was hesitant to invest more money in the search for a fresh host. The U2by2 is a very time intensive build and I think I'd rather spare Scott the tribulation of doing it again and me the wait for its completion. :thumbsup:

As it sits the light is very nice... just not suited to my needs to the extent that I need it to be. Someone who's using it for more short term use will be happy. :twothumbs

Speaking of which...it looks like blackbalsam's the lucky CPF'r who gets to give this beauty a new home. Congratulations! PM sent!

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

lovecpf Hello desertrat21. Apparently some thing went wrong with the PM as i did not receive it. Please send me another with your contact and paypal info. THANKS.:twothumbs

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs :paypal: sent as gift per request. please let me know if you received it. THANKS.