Grip on a Surefire C3 Centurion, would I be disapointed

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, this is a tough question because the anwser might come down to personal prefernce but, say you had a guy (me) who really wasn't a fan of surefire's pocket clips but could tolerate them, had average sized hands for a 6ft1 guy, and was going from mostly using a surefire G3 nitrolon, do you think he would be disapointed with the grip on the C3 centurion? Using just a regular grip that is, no cigar technique or any thing like that. That pocket clip looks like it might be uncomfortable on that size of a light but I can't be sure cause I never held one.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since you'd be using a regular grip, just not how to compare the G3 grip to the C3. It is not what C3 was projected for. My vote is that you WILL be disapointed.

I thought very well before buying a host for a KT2 but I was lucky finding a Leef 2x18500. Thanks goodness! :twothumbs

kodama

Newly Enlightened
Why not tape a piece of sheet metal roughly the size of the clip to the G3 and see how you like that?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Having handled a C3, I can honestly say that you will most likely be disappointed with the long, squared-off, grip compared to the G3 model.

In a regular grip, the G3 is more comfortable. I'd say go with the C3 if you really want a 3-cell SureFire light with a pocket clip. But mainly because the D3 has been discontinued for more than awhile now. (Picture a 9P with a pocket clip attached.)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having handled a C3, I can honestly say that you will most likely be disappointed with the long, squared-off, grip compared to the G3 model.

In a regular grip, the G3 is more comfortable. I'd say go with the C3 if you really want a 3-cell SureFire light with a pocket clip. But mainly because the D3 has been discontinued for more than awhile now. (Picture a 9P with a pocket clip attached.)

The D3 is nice, too bad there wasn't one that was all rounded (like the older 9P)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I find that my 3-flats SF C3 is the most comfortable flashlight to hold that I own.

If you're curious to try a C3 out, just purchase one used off of CPF/MP.
If you don't like it, sell it off for the same price.

It sounds like you don't want a clip on your light, if that is the case why are you considering the C3?? :shrug: Perhaps you might look for a Z-series light instead, they are not impossible to find, just keep your eye on CPF/MP or Ebay.

I'd suggest reading these Z-series vs C-series threads for more information regarding your preferences:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286303
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/267035

I really don't understand creating a thread to consider & discuss a light consisting of features that you don't want. :confused: Perhaps you might be happiest with the SF 9P / G3 bodies.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that my 3-flats SF C3 is the most comfortable flashlight to hold that I own.

If you're curious to try a C3 out, just purchase one used off of CPF/MP.
If you don't like it, sell it off for the same price.

It sounds like you don't want a clip on your light, if that is the case why are you considering the C3?? :shrug: Perhaps you might look for a Z-series light instead, they are not impossible to find, just keep your eye on CPF/MP or Ebay.

I'd suggest reading these Z-series vs C-series threads for more information regarding your preferences:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286303
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/267035

I really don't understand creating a thread to consider & discuss a light consisting of features that you don't want. :confused: Perhaps you might be happiest with the SF 9P / G3 bodies.

Features I don't want? Features is plural. All I said is I'm not a big fan of pocket clips though I can tolerate them. Why would I discount a nice light if it has one feature I wasn't crazy about?:confused: I kind of figured that the grip of the C3 wouldn't be a comfortable as the G3, all I really wanted was some peoples thoughts and opinions on the grip of the C3, not necesarrly a direct compairson with the G3. With that said, I don't think any light in existence can top the grip and feel of the G3, it's one of the best feeling lights I have ever held.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
. . . I don't think any light in existence can top the grip and feel of the G3, it's one of the best feeling lights I have ever held.

Oh I've got one that can top it. But it's a rare beast nowadays . . .

Leef-bodied 9P.

SF Z44 bezel, Z41 tailcap, Leef C-C 2x18500 body, your choice of drop-in.
No flats on the body. Perfectly round. Checkering is even better than a stock 9P. That particular Leef body is the same length as the body of a stock 9P.

Now that is one sweet grip! (Sadly, Leef retired from making his custom bodies awhile ago.)

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I've got one that can top it. But it's a rare beast nowadays . . .

Leef-bodied 9P.

SF Z44 bezel, Z41 tailcap, Leef C-C 2x18500 body, your choice of drop-in.
No flats on the body. Perfectly round. Checkering is even better than a stock 9P. That particular Leef body is the same length as the body of a stock 9P.

Now that is one sweet grip! (Sadly, Leef retired from making his custom bodies awhile ago.)

Sounds like the OP is leaning towards the Nitrolon bodies, not there is anything wrong with a nice Leef host.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna beg to differ here.

The C2 and C3 grips are one of, if not my favourite grips, regardless of holding style.

Reason being, if your hands and wet, or your is somehow otherwise compromised, the rubber grip on the light helps stop the light from slipping when your press the tailswitch.I used to have a C3 which i sold cos i needed to pay for something else, but My c2 is still one of my favourite lights

Crenshaw

NE450No2

Enlightened
I have both lights. I have several Nitrolons that I use for uses from emergency storage in the car/pack/garage, etc. They are great lights and not to much $$, for a SF at least.

But the C2 and C3 have the advantage of being Aluminium AND the option of using the "syringe technique".

I really like the C series SF lights. When using them in the "normal" manner I do not fine their flat square sided shape a negative or a problem in any way.

I keep my C2 next to my pillow every night, for "emergencies"...

My A2 is next to my pillow every night for "general use".

325addict

Enlightened
I have both the C2 and C3 Centurions, and regardless the way you hold them (use the cigar-grip or just hold them like a pen, or..... whatever) I must say, they are my all-time favorites, just because of that square shape. I don't know why, but... they just handle perfectly for me. Every time I come back to these two.

The C3 is my favorite, because this one can handle 2X 17500 batteries and thus has nearly double the runtime compared to the C2.

Timmo.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a C2, and I love it in the regular ice-pick grip. My fingers fit perfectly between the bezel and the rubber grip-ring, which indexes nicely on the middle finger to prevent the light from slipping out of your hand. I would imagine that even though the C3 is longer, the grip ring is still the same distance from the tailcap and that same index would apply.

Here's a quick cel phone pic...
24eb7864.jpg

The pocket clip nestles nicely in the palm of my hand and I don't even know it's there unless I need it. You can't see it very clearly in the picture, but it's oriented downward against my palm.

Here, I've loosened my grip a bit to show the orientation...
9fb38406.jpg

I know you asked about the C3, and the end of the clip is going to contact the body of the C3 at a different point than the C2, but I don't think you will be disasspointed with the grip on the C3. The pocketclip doesn't get in the way of a good grip.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With my C2, my fingers just fall perfectly between the grip-ring and bezel, when using an overhand grip. But having tried out a C3, I can honestly say that the extra length of the body messes up that perfect grip. At least for me.