mini-mag turbohead

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
having an old mag head laying around, and various metal parts from other creations i've been working on, i decided i would pursue something i've been meaning to do for a long time.

this project went quite fast, since all of the pieces were already existant, they just needed to be modified a bit. the problem is it's just a prototype, and doesn't look like the final verson will look.

roththing.jpg

side view.
i didn't bother to polish it, since it will eventually be sent to an annodyzer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

roththing2.jpg

top view, showing pelican reflector

roththing3.jpg

here is just the turbhead, laying next to my personal mmm.

the pictures were shown with a miniminimag sporting a mm+ r2h, but i think you get the idea how big it is compared to a standard minimag.
it was made by taking a regular minimag head and turning it down practically to the threads. then a second piece (was the tail of a custom light, that i happened to redesign half-way through the project...). was hammered and pressed on with a vice, to ensure that it stays permanently without the use of epoxies or glues (these are essentially one piece now). the final piece was intially going to be the head of the custom light i was working on (same as the tail piece), but was shortened and bored out a little bit to slip over the turbohead. the pelican reflector was modifed a slihghty bit to allow it to slip into the head piece and let the lenscap slide over both. the back of the reflector was painted with fingernail polish to ensure that it doesn't short out the led. in this form, it can't be used to turn the light off twisty-style, but i prefer the kroll anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
i will contact www.flashlightlens.com about making a custom lens for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the beam is amazing! it throws a very fine hotspot with decent sidespill.
the pelican reflector really does work well with 1watters, especially compared to nx05's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work Roth! I think you've got something there. You wouldn't be interested in building one for me would you? I can supply the R2H, BB700 and MM donor body.

BTW, that reflector isn't from a Super SabreLite LA. I've got two of those and the beam sucks. Too focused, weak spill. Great for reading an index card at 10' but not really useful as an illuminator. It is waterproof and explosionproof though. That wouldn't be an M6 reflector would it?

Wilkey

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nice Roth!

I agree that the reflector is very friendly to the Luxeons!

- Don

EDIT: I have a turbo AAA in the plans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sorry, i should have mentioned it was a pm6 reflector from the sandwhich shop.

ginny, the only thing i need is a minimag head. i turn it down to save the threads, then i press-fit the other parts on. it will work on any minimag, (or miniminimag or miniminiminimag for that matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

i'm afraid that these won't be going on sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i just made this one because i had some parts on hand that worked quite well. it is rather poorly designed as such. evertying is press fit, and to be permanent, some superglue between the lenscap and the head would be required.
my lathe replacment shaft still hasn't come in, so i can't thread yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eventually, i might make one or two and put them up on the bst, but until then i think you'll probably have to make your own if you really want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
of course, there is a price for everything, if anyone really wants this one (no lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), drop me a pm with your most generous offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
After having seen the PM6 reflector in action in Dat2zip's DB400 PM6 R2H group passaround, I can say that I am quite impressed by it! Works wonders on the 1W LS HD's!!!

Latest posts