Is there more than one version of the P5 LED Lenser?

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I've been scouting the internet to purchase an LED Lenser P5 and noticed different places show different specs. Sometimes they say 60 lumens and 4.8 hour runtime, other times it is 90 lumens and 3 hours. The official USA site says the latter whereas the Australian site says the former. Glow gadgets says 90 lumens for 8 hours (which would be awesome).

Is there more than one version? Have they done an update at any time?

A local store here has it and I would like to buy it there tomorrow but I'm worried it wont be the latest light. Does anyone know?

PerttiK

Enlightened
From what i've learned,
in lenser specs the lumens are what you get for the first few minutes with new battery.
Runtime is total until it dies, barely any light in the end.

There might be luxeon and cree versions of P5.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know all the P5 models use Cree.

The rechargeable P5 won't take standard AA batteries though will it?

I find it funny because that site has a different figure of 105 lumens and 3hr battery life.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know all the P5 models use Cree.

The rechargeable P5 won't take standard AA batteries though will it?

I find it funny because that site has a different figure of 105 lumens and 3hr battery life.

The German site is the actual owners of Led Lenser,shoot them an email and ask.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I emailed the USA website and they say their lights are constantly improving and that the 90 lumens 4 hour runtime is the latest model. I like that they keep using the latest parts. I think I'll order it from glow gadgets, he guarantees you get the latest models.

300winmag

Enlightened
I have the L7 - 112 lumens, 160 hours on 3 AAA.... :twothumbs
I have found other sites that state less numbers as well.
As you said, its nice they keep up with the tech but damn it's confusing
trying to make sure witch ones are the newest ones. The focusing system makes up for it though ;)

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
I've been scouting the internet to purchase an LED Lenser P5 and noticed different places show different specs. Sometimes they say 60 lumens and 4.8 hour runtime, other times it is 90 lumens and 3 hours. The official USA site says the latter whereas the Australian site says the former. Glow gadgets says 90 lumens for 8 hours (which would be awesome).

Is there more than one version? Have they done an update at any time?

A local store here has it and I would like to buy it there tomorrow but I'm worried it wont be the latest light. Does anyone know?
The M5 has a titanium bezel. Aesthetically more pleasing, runs better and is much brighter.:twothumbs

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
The specs do look quite good on the M5. Is that a new model? It costs basically the same too. Is it regulated? I'm guessing that's what they mean by a micro controller.

Just to be sure, it is an AA light right?

Does anyone know if these are made in Germany or China?

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
The M5 has a titanium bezel. Aesthetically more pleasing, runs better and is much brighter.:twothumbs

Hi. i got the M1 and p5 65lumen, both are great light, but the M1 stands out, its super bright, got a low mode (and strobe) and its regulated. so if you are going for an aa light I would get the M5

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
The specs do look quite good on the M5. Is that a new model? It costs basically the same too. Is it regulated? I'm guessing that's what they mean by a micro controller.

Just to be sure, it is an AA light right?

Does anyone know if these are made in Germany or China?

Like everything else theese days its made in china.

vickers214

Enlightened
I e mailed Lenser asking about regulation, and they told me it would not be on their lights until 2012, all their Micro this, power chip that is just marketing rubbish!

I would steer clear until they are regulated mind, i had a V2 Pro and it was great for 5 minutes then it went to about half of what it was and got dimmer and dimmer, to be honest it was rubbish and because of that thats why i came on here and now have loads of lights:sick2:

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Wow that M1 sounds really good! Does the M5 also have the low mode? How do you use the interface to access the different modes? This is perhaps the light I've been looking for.
I don't really care a lot about the light being regulated. When they have so many other good points it's easy to overlook this.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Was reviewing the Led Lenser German website and they are using the "c" words in their decription of one of the features of the M7. They said, "There's a choice between steadily decreasing or constant current drain and brightness." The decription of the M7T is sort of similiar, saying, " With the LED LENSER® MT7 you can choose between electronically controlled unvarying light intensity, and continuously decreasing brightness resulting in longer burning life." Unvarying being the key word here.

Say what you will about the LL lights, they are very interesting, and I only discovered that when I won one at MattK's party while attending SHOT 2010. Prior to owning one, a P7, I was very critical of the LL lights, falling into step with others who panned them. My P7 really puts out the light, much brighter (lux) than my 250 or so lumen LX1, and using bounce with lightmeter, it compares to some of my lights in the 200 lumen range. I use NiMh's (bad boy I am) with good results.

Bill

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that M1 sounds really good! Does the M5 also have the low mode? How do you use the interface to access the different modes? This is perhaps the light I've been looking for.
I don't really care a lot about the light being regulated. When they have so many other good points it's easy to overlook this.

My advice and I am a huge Led Lenser fan,over looking regulation is a big mistake on your side,with Led you most certainly need it to gain the most from your light and I would never take a LL out with me without spare batteries,unlike my daily work edc which I carry without spares and give it a top up charge once a week if been worked hard or just once a month if only been lightly used.

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
I keep reading so many negative comments on here about led lenser. Why do people hate them so much?

Here in Australia they're not over priced anymore than any of the other brands. Maglite is just as expensive for a 2AA LED torch as a P5 and the Surefire E2L costs $265.

I read a thread on the M5 on here just before and people seem to be very negative towards them. Why so much hate?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep reading so many negative comments on here about led lenser. Why do people hate them so much?

Here in Australia they're not over priced anymore than any of the other brands. Maglite is just as expensive for a 2AA LED torch as a P5 and the Surefire E2L costs $265.

I read a thread on the M5 on here just before and people seem to be very negative towards them. Why so much hate?

I am really not sure why,I lived in Berlin in Germany and like here in the UK LL are just about the only decent light you can buy in a bricks and mortar outlet.They are hugely good at marketing and shift massive amounts of lights,Just take a look at the simple but effective and cheap P2,you get a nice box,little holster,carabiner,batteries and more than likely it is on one of those rotating LL stands in the store window with buy me written all over it.If I knew nothing about Led and bought a LL I would be so pleased with such a tiny thing being so bright compared to what the other shops are selling.I was in Arco the other day and there was a guy in there kitting out 2 new employees with all there safety clothing,I heard him say go to the flashlight display and get yourselves a decent light each,they both were drawn to the LL rotating display stand and selected a LL each ignoring all other brands on offer.I have noticed that most engineers and mechanics always select the triple cell version retailing from most trade and tool vans at the £50 mark.

LL are very slick at there marketing and because of them I got interested in Led lights after buying just a tiny one in Berlin a couple or three years ago,still got it,battered to death but still works like it did the day I bought it.

Last edited:

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened

I really dunno. Maybe them flashlight connoisseurs know something we don't. I have an M7 w/c is a real thrower. I have been reiterating this statement of mine for the longest time, and I may sound like a broken record, but the thing is this little buddy of mine beats the Tiablo A9 w/o aspheric. the Solarforce Skyline 1 and the VB 16...And don't even think the P7 is at par w/ the M7 because it is not. The latter is way brighter and throws a lot more than the former. I don't have a P5 nor an M5 but there should be a significant difference between the 2.:twothumbs

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
LED Lenser has become the only torch you can buy in most of our stores. Once you would go in and see only maglite, now maglite is hard to find, if a store has them it's usually just old Incan models.

Surefires must be bought online, my uncle has an E2L which made me consider getting one. At $265 + freight I really don't think it's worth that much.

I've had a Fenix P3D before which was quite good and now have a Zebralight SC30w which I don't really like. Surely LED Lenser quality should be every bit as good as Fenix?

jupello

Enlightened

Some people seem to think it's somehow fashionable to bash them. Just look at the amount of false accusations, generalizations and rumours they make about them it's no wonder.. and I think most of those haters have never even tried LL lights, or are comparing some ancient LL models to the newest lights out there.

Latest posts