LEDCorp PR Base LED questions

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about getting a couple of these to put in lights that I don't really need luxeon brightness for. My question is this: How do these compare in brightness to the LED bulb that's found in the Dorcy Cool Blue? Is the color of the LEDCorp whiter than the Cool Blue? I read somewhere on the forum (quite a while back...) that the Dorcy actually uses an LED bulb that was produced by LEDCorp. Is this the case? I bought my Cool Blue a couple years ago when they first came out, and I'm thinking that the newer ones (the LEDCorp ones) are probably using better ranked Nichias now than they were a couple years ago. Anyway, anyone that could shed a little "light" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif on this, I'd really appreciate it! Thanx in advance...

PJD

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know Dorcy just licensed LED Corp's idea. I don't think they were ever as bright as a LED Corp bulb.
I've had a couple and they are bright. Plus the company is very responsive to any problems that you may have.
Good company almost up there with Peter at ARC.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx K Horn...I'll probably be ordering a couple!

PJD

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pair of 2 cell Epeions that are quite white and reasonably bright when dirven by pairs of L91 AA lithiums.

LedCorp tests LS's to see which ones will draw at least 160 mA with a pair of alkaline AA's. They were kind enough to send me the two highest current 2 cells they culled from two weeks of production.

They were kind enough to do this, in part, to make up for a pee green version of their earlier LS PR bulb which they allowed me to exchange.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux...would it be safe to run a 2 cell Epieon on three NiMH's? The reason I ask is because 2 fresh AA lithium cells are running at about 3.5V and 3 AA NiMH cells would be running at about 3.6V...or would the mah from 3 NiMHs be too high? In some regards I'm "electronically challenged" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, so I'd really like your professional opinion on this! Thanx...

PJD

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat dissipation capability of the PR bulbs are modest, so LEDCorp targets something like 320 mA or 330 mA with their 3 and 4 cell bulbs.

As much as I'd like to try 3 NiMHs with my 2 cell Epeions I don't because they are particularly low Vf.

You pays yer dime and yu takes yer chances, I'm afraid.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...in that case, I'll stick with 2 cells. Thanx, lemlux!

PJD