What does 'tactical' light mean?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
What does \'tactical\' light mean?

Hi,

Sorry for asking this newbie question, but what does the term 'tactical' mean in tactical flashlights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif How is a flashlight defined as 'tactical'? I keep seeing this term being used. Thanks!

iddibhai

Enlightened
Re: What does \'tactical\' light mean?

i think to qualify for tactical, the light has to be bright enough to stun an opponent temporarily (60+ lumens) and have a tailcap switch that allows intermittant use (press to flash, release to go dark). the idea is to be able to suddenly surprise any opposition with a quick flash to overpower, but not let the light burn continously in order to give away *your* position.

hope i got that right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter Atwood

Enlightened

I think it also means a light that is virtually indestructible and one that is extremely reliable. It is also likely that such a light would have a shape or texturing that would allow for extremely positive grip under stressful situations and would be easy to use with gloved hands. Some lights, mostly Surefires, are made to be used in conjunction with weapons.

SUREFARC

Enlightened

It's the moment-on push button that makes it tactical IMHO.

Size15's

Flashaholic

There was a long thread about this on CPF sometime ago. Perhaps running a search on ""Tactical" Light" may bring up some information?

Runs with nukes

Newly Enlightened

A light whose durability, reliability, and design lend it well to service with law enforcement, security and military use. Used to illuminate and or stun a target, or in conjunction with filters or adapters, for use with NVD's or to change the beam color for subdued light output so as not to give away position or impair adapted night vision. Also may serve a multifunction role, illumination tool -improvised impact device (kubaton joint manipulation techniques) in a pinch (no pun intended). I'm sure I've neglected many more points but maybe this offers
a feel of "tactical" as applied to flashlights, IMHO.

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

There probably isn't an industrial standard for what is "tactical." I some ways, it is like calling speakers "digital ready." There's really no such thing as a digital speaker, they are all analog devices, but "digital ready" sounded cool to some consumers in the early days of digital audio. Both terms are more than likely overused and hyperbolous, and are often used without much real meaning.

(Don't get me wrong here guys... this is only a generalized rant, for a relaxing Sunday morning. I really get into language stuff - especially when there is an unfolding of new meanings for old words - feel free to ignore this or enjoy it. It's strictly "my humble opinion," and I don't represent it as fact. Rest assured that the flashlight you paid extra for, because it was "tactical," was probably worth what you paid for it, and you probably knew deep down that it was just a really good flashlight. One you can depend on, and one that might just save your life someday.)

"Tactical" in this case should probably mean that it is something used in "tactics" as opposed to "strategy." Strategy is planned action towards a goal, planned in such a way that it takes into consideration many possible situations. Tactics are generally responsive actions taken according to the arising situation of the moment, regardless of what was planned. Tactics are the "means to an end," almost literally from the Greek roots of the word. Tactics are utilized in the achievement of strategic goals and objectives - I don't mean to suggest they are two totally separate things.

I think this term, "tactical," as it is commonly used today, like so many words we take for granted, is a term that has filtered down through daily usage (or misusage) of technical (or pseudo-technical) terms, and it has taken on new meaning in the process. This new meaning is still under negotiation, as we speak it and either accept its use or reject it.

Take for example, "industrial strength." It is a term that entered our daily vocabulary through marketing jargon. At one time there might have been a truly "industrial" product not intended for consumer use, but someone marketed it to consumers as "industrial strength." Then, other marketers jumped on the band wagon and started calling their "better" consumer products "industrial strength," implying that these products are better than those usually available to the household consumer. The original "authentic" use of the term also implied that the "industrial strength" products might also be less fool proof, and more dangerous to use, and this has led to some pretty humorous applications of the term.

As lighter, more sophisticated, and more mobile nukes developed, someone in the military (or some technical or media analyst) at some point probably first used the term "tactical nuclear weapons" to distinguish a lighter, more easily deployed nuke from larger ones. The idea was that it could be transported to its point of use to be used on short notice in a tactical way, as opposed to being used in long term strategy, which might have meant that it was strictly a "deterrent." This also implied (to some,) unintentionally, that a strategic nuke under the control of a strategic planner was less likely to be used, and that a tactical weapon under the control of someone in the field might be used as the result of a snap decision, with less planning, and possibly in a wreckless way. The term even became a kind of rallying point for short while among anti-nuke folks.

Eventually, the term "tactical" came to have several connotations in common usage. One is that anything "tactical" is ready for quick deployment. Another is that it has destructive potential. This carries the finer nuance that a "tactical" weapon may have slightly less destructive potential than a "strategic" one, but that it can be used with a greater element of surprise. Concealability is therefore probably also a factor in "tactical."

"Tactical" also suggests something that can help to protect its user in a dangerous situation, especially an unexpected one, because of its greater flexibility, quicker deployment, and (hopefully) unquestionable reliability.

While I have probably not covered all the bases, I think I have given some reasons why, for most of us, when we speak of a "tactical" knife or flashlight, we mean one that is dependable in a pinch, that is ready for a quick, reactive deployment, that can deliver a swift and effective result, and that can be used to surprise an enemy and turn a bad situation around to our favor. The term also suggests that the light or knife is of a military quality, which makes it akin to "industrial," but perhaps even a grade better, since the military is a highly specialized industry in which most matters are life-or-death.

For some of us, the term "tactical" merely allows us to be boys, and to "play cops" or "play soldier." Some of you guys out there are actually LEOs, firemen, or military men, and you may be using these "tactical" flashlights in real life and death situations. God Bless You. The rest of us may use these in professional situations - "missions," if that makes us more self-important. (There's another interesting term - "mission critical." We'll save it for antoher rant sometime.)

Some of us just love to handle and use high quality tools. "And, there's nothing wrong with that."

Maybe the best understanding we can have for "tactical" is that we are getting something high quality, something that delivers the most "bang" for its size, and something we can depend on. Otherwise, there is no standard that makes a light or knife "tactical."

batterystation

Enlightened

And all the time I thought "tactical" meant that you could hurt someone with it and not do any damage to the flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a link to the previous threads this was discussed in as Al stated, you will find the link to another thread on the subject on the second page of this thread:

tactical? link

In my opinion tactical lights are just that, lights designed primarily for tactical response situations in law enforcement and military. Some manufacturers may have co-opted the terminology and aesthetics of the true performers for the purpose of marketing but the lights that are truly tactical illumination tools are fairly self evident due to the criteria needed to qualify to professionals. While we as flashaholics (and the general public for that matter) have realized the benefits of the cross-over utility of tactical lights (compact, lightweight,extremely bright, extremely rugged, self defense and firearms defensive tactics friendly) there are drawbacks also ( higher costs, cost of operation, short runtimes etc.) to civilian uses that aren't really of issue to their professional users (well maybe they are of issue but not to a degree that the pros will stop using them, just that the technology will continue to evolve and benefit all of us in the end)
Just my $.02!

I don't agree with the above post, utilizing room lighting would be against most low light tactical doctrine taught today as you would compromise the locations of, and endanger a tactical entry team. The purpose of low light tactics is to give the good guys an advantage over the bad guys in that it allows the tactical team more control over the environment and also allows them to operate "veiled" by their advantage. It really is not just a term to sell products, there is a whole world of doctrine, techniques and such that surrounds "high risk" tactical entry and the tools of the trade. I will say that it has sprouted a popular culture following in the private sector though and thus the marketing shams.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

"Proper" definition:

1) A light specifically designed for use in military and law enforcement tactical operations

Looser definition:

2) A light whose design facilitates use in military and law enforcement tactical operations

General definition:

3) Any light that can be used in military, and law enforcement tactical operations

Note that only the first description defines a "true" tactical light which is unique because of its design intent.

Brightnorm

jtice

Flashaholic

While most of you, or all of you, are correct...

When you read that a light is "tactical" what they are meaning, is that the light has a momentary push button tail cap. I have seen a fair share of lights, that were basically junk, and not all that bright, that were called "tactical" just because they had the momentary push button tail cap.

While the word "tactical" SHOULD mean more than this... generally when reading about a light on the web, it does NOT.

It is used as a marketing term now by many manufacturers. It sounds good thats all.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rodmeister said:
I thought this issue was settled. "Tactical" means painted BLACK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I though it meant that it will cost 20% more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Tomas

Banned

Either I used to use a succession of Eveready "tactical" penlights at work (that's a laugh, but they were EDC and had a pushbutton on the tail) or the current meaning of the word "tactical" is similar or identical to the word "fluff" from another thread ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I was military two of the major cammands in my branch were the Strategic Air Command and the Tactical Air Command. Both could deliver nukes and iron bombs, but one used things like B-52's (very large, long range bombers) and the other used things like F-4's (much smaller fighter/bombers).

It was more of a strategic response to a "situation" - a "planned" thing, or a tactical response to an immediate threat - a "reaction" to very short-term events.

That line has gotten very fuzzy of late with tactical units delivering strategic strikes. (I.E. the F-117 stealth "fighters" dropping bombs in a planned offensive to begin a non-war in Iraq, or even earlier with tens of thousands of iron bombs being delivered in strategic strikes by tactical units, such as the 12th TFW which I was supporting, in Southeast Asia's non-war.) *

The only way I will understand what a "tactical light" is would be to compare it to a "strategic light."

Actually, I might toss out one possible comparison: At the recent fire in this apartment building, the flashlights carried by the firefighters (and indeed those few carried by the tenants milling about outside) were "tactical" lights as they were responding spur-of-the-moment to a perceived threat/situation.

The large portable spotlight I dragged out and the truck-mounted spotlights of the fire department were "strategic" lights used for general work area illumination rather than responding to individual instant needs.

By that, though, my Arc AAA is a tactical light as it's main use is to provide instant response to perceived threats/needs. True, it won't 'stun' the person on the bright and shiny end, but it is a "first response" device nevertheless.

The 2D EverLED or SLA spotlight that I'd have to go get (in other words, plan to use) would be strategic lights.

Could it be? Is a tactical light the one you have on your person when needed? Is any EDC automatically a "tactical" light?

That IS, afterall, the light that is used to respond in the shortest time to a need for light ... Even if it's an old red Photon I ...

True, people have different tactical needs for light. A cop whipping out a white Photon II to intimidate a subject is not properly equipped (at least in MY opinion). He needs a different sort of light to use in the sort of tactical situations he has.

My 77 year old mom's "tactical" needs are a bit different, and the 2AA Opalec in her purse is just fine for finding the pen she dropped in the car.

So, have I confused things enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

*"Non-war" was used since neither was actually a declared war on our part. Of course you're just as dead, declared or not ...

DumboRAT

Enlightened

For me, what "tactical" means is that it is appropriate for the situation at hand.

Whether it be a 500 lumens monster of a SureFire M6 which can "tactically" temporarily blind a potential assailant or an IR-suppressed map reader like the Phantom Warrior, all the light has to do is to be, at the right moment, suitable for the right job.

For a soldier or LEO, choosing the right tool for the right job is critical -- you wouldn't want the miniature nuke blast of a 500 lumens lamp to read a map when you're on the outskirts of an enemy encampment, nor would you want to shine a feeble low-powered LED mapreader in the eyes of a street-thug who is closing on you at full tilt.

=)

Being "tactful" means being able to do the right thing at the right time. As a tool, our flashlights must serve this same purpose. Whatever its features or abilities, it must match the task at hand, and that's tactical.

=)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

The vision in your head that the industry is trying to bring about with the term "tactical light" is one of high-risk police and military operations. A light suitable for things like dynamic entry, house clearing, high-risk warrant service, etc. as the primary search and target identification light. For a civilian, low-light home defense and concealed carry are the relevent activities. Sometimes the connection between suitability for such operations and the light being sold can be a bit sketchy -- e.g., Inova X5T, which declared itself tactical because it's got an end-switch -- but at other times the light being sold was designed with exactly these types of activities in mind (e.g., Surefire M3).

Joe

xrayzebra

Newly Enlightened

Employing "tactics" is never akin to being "tactful." I only WISH that you were right. If tactics and tact were in any way similar, we might live in a better world.

I really love that tact/tactics thing, DumboRAT, and you make a really good case for what you're saying. I'd almost buy into it, except that in common usage, the two words have almost opposite meanings. Tact implies diplomacy and avoidance of committing an offense, and tactics implies a swift offensive or defensive response.

That's because "tact" actually comes from the Old French for "touch," as does the modern word "tactile," and suggests feeling one's way through a situation, or having a keen sensitivity to details, a "good feel for things."

Tactics is from the Greek for expedience, but in modern English, it has taken on a strong connotation toward expedient military or competitive acts.

So, as similar as they sound, and as perfectly sensible as your statement is, it is unfortunately wrong, in my humble personal opinion, and with my apologies for insisting on arguing the point. (I'm trying to be "tactful." This is not a "tactic" to personally discredit you in some way, because you have a lot of good things to say, you're a gentleman and a scholar - I just happen to differ on tact and tactics.)

While we hope that our tactics are "the right thing to do," they are in fact "the expedient thing to do" in a situation where tact will not help us.

Tact carries the connotation of being "the right thing for everyone to get along together," while tactics carries the connotation of being "the right thing to do immediately toward achieving our ends, even if we have to kill everybody else to do it, screw'em anyway."

Present company excluded, certainly!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tom, I like your analogy between "tactical" and "Strategic" air groups as an example, so I will offer that; while they are concieved as having different operational areas, one as being "planned" strikes against a known target and one "reaction" strikes against targets of opportunity or in support of other actions such as close air ground support, both groups adhere to both general and group specific weaponry, equipment and standard operational procedures that are practiced to make the groups effective in their operations and relatively safe and consistent too, right? So I believe that "true" tactical lights are designed to work in concert with specific pre-determined and well practiced standard operational procedures utilized by first responder LEO's and quick response or "tactical" (thus the nomenclature being applied to the lights) teams and units in the armed forces and law enforcement communities, many of which have similar SOP's as they are often cross trained by private companies and individuals in addition to their department and branch training not to mention that alot of the doctrine is coming from former and current military professionals co-mingled with former and current Law enforcement professionals.

"True" tactical lights are usually designed with input from (or in rare cases actually designed by the operators themselves) the actual operators, and instructors that utilize them and dictate the doctrine in which they are implemented and I think anyone with reasonable intelligence can figure out which products are marketing ploys and which products are functional realities.

Now there are certain manufacturers that produce true tactical lights that also utilize the popular cultural appeal to broaden their sales market into the private sector, but that doesn't diminish the lights usefulness to professionals or their specific intentions and then there are lesser lights that claim "tactical" properties and usefulness that aren't really up to the challenge and also blatant rip off marketing ploys that I believe everyone here quickly catches on to also, but that happens with just about every genre of marketable goods out there so why get all riled about it, right?

I think that one of the best places to learn more about low-light tactics and the operational circumstances that bred the "tactical" tag is at Strategos forums (a private training group run by a former SEAL, Ken Good some of our members are Mods there) 186thousand.com the board is open to civilians as well as professionals so it's a good place to read up, see some video clips of training etc....

Tom, I think Surefire has been working on lights that are more "strategic" in nature too. Lights that can screen and isolate more strategic activities taking place in close proximity to an event scene from a targets view.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif