Surefire heavy and wanting recs on LED conversions

gunslingerdoc

Newly Enlightened
Hi, and thanks up front.

I'm an ex flashlightoholic returning to the fold - cant fight the addiction. Ive sent about 10 hours reading posts and decided 1. Im more ignorant now! 2. I need to move to LED's and get some AA, AAA powered lights.

I have several lights but need to branch out and modernize...I have 2 6p's, 2 m3's - one with a semi melted lens, a c2 (serial number a203!), e2, 9n - no cell, 8X - no cell and a gladius....

First problem I have is theyre all cr123's lights and I have no cells for the 9n and 8x...I just bought a tenergy cr123 charger and 10 bats from battery junction. Havent used them yet, but wondering if the rechargeable 123's loose charge like the AA's?

I bought an LED replacement lamp for the C2 - Love it! I will have to get used to the switching though - the random on and off CQB I was taught 30 pounds and 10 years ago (I think at surefire!) will need some changes!

Should I just do this for the rest of the 6p lamp sized lights? $20 is cheap.

Now the bigger issue is the M3's - dizzying array of upgrades and heads - HELP! I would like at least 300 lum's, and longer run time with a good distance beam - strobe function is not really something I want/need but ok...I would like to be able to change output and of course, I dont want to spend more then a new light costs...Recs?

Is there anything I can do with the 9n and 8X other than order high priced bats that crap out from surefire?

Ive ordered an olight t-15 and a nitecore d10 and really thinking a jetbeam rrt-0 with the spacer so I can use cr123's or AA's - this is a cool option (provided I dont lose the spacer!)- any other 'convertable ' lights you recommend that will allow converting back and forth from AA and CR123?

Thanks for your recs and your patience with newbie/oldie questions!

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Surefire M3 myself because I like the bigger size and its currently in transit. The problem is the larger bezel diameter means you can't use the LED drop-ins like the P60's and similar because they're too small. It's also not an especially popular light and because of that, there aren't really as many choices from what I've found.

The only real drop-in solution I've found, based off reading older threads on the M3 bezel is using a Lumens Factory D36 LED drop-in unit like the SR-9L which is supposedly 320 lumens and requires you to disassemble the head to remove the reflector because the LED unit is an all-in-one module.

They also make drop-in xenon bulbs. Lumens Factory makes a EO-M3 9V 380 lumen lamp which is as simple as changing out the bulb. I've found them at lighthound and I've purchased a few to try out so I'll let you know how it works out when I get it.

If anyone else can point to some drop-ins or folks that do mods for the M3, I'm all ears.

Also, I've had very good luck with Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargables. I believe the previous generation I have will retain an 85% charge after a full year and the newest generation eneloop retains a 75% charge after three years.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, and thanks up front.

I'm an ex flashlightoholic returning to the fold - cant fight the addiction. Ive sent about 10 hours reading posts and decided 1. Im more ignorant now! 2. I need to move to LED's and get some AA, AAA powered lights.

I have several lights but need to branch out and modernize...I have 2 6p's, 2 m3's - one with a semi melted lens, a c2 (serial number a203!), e2, 9n - no cell, 8X - no cell and a gladius....

First problem I have is theyre all cr123's lights and I have no cells for the 9n and 8x...I just bought a tenergy cr123 charger and 10 bats from battery junction. Havent used them yet, but wondering if the rechargeable 123's loose charge like the AA's?

I bought an LED replacement lamp for the C2 - Love it! I will have to get used to the switching though - the random on and off CQB I was taught 30 pounds and 10 years ago (I think at surefire!) will need some changes!

Should I just do this for the rest of the 6p lamp sized lights? $20 is cheap.

Now the bigger issue is the M3's - dizzying array of upgrades and heads - HELP! I would like at least 300 lum's, and longer run time with a good distance beam - strobe function is not really something I want/need but ok...I would like to be able to change output and of course, I dont want to spend more then a new light costs...Recs?

Is there anything I can do with the 9n and 8X other than order high priced bats that crap out from surefire?

Ive ordered an olight t-15 and a nitecore d10 and really thinking a jetbeam rrt-0 with the spacer so I can use cr123's or AA's - this is a cool option (provided I dont lose the spacer!)- any other 'convertable ' lights you recommend that will allow converting back and forth from AA and CR123?

Thanks for your recs and your patience with newbie/oldie questions!
If you feel like trying a cheaper torch , try a Solarforce L2 ... It will use a 18650 battery ... There are loads of dropins available , even a 500 lumen but most people just go for the 200 lumen dropin.

You would have the choice of single mode or three mode or if you needed the strobe and the SOS there is a five mode.

For the price , it is great quality and it doesn't need to be bored-out or converted in any other way ... There is also a Solarforce L2i which uses three AAA cells , plus others that use AAs and 123s ... You just have to be careful that the dropin is the correct voltage for the batteries used.

I have two L2's using 18650 batteries and get two and a half hours (on high) on a fully charged battery ... I also have two slightly modified L2i's that are using 18650s.

The 18650 is (in my opinion) the best possible battery to use in a general purpose torch though I also have several AAA and AA torches for EDC.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Doc. Nice SF collection. Like Cesiumsponge said checkout the Lumens Factory bulbs for your M3 and your E2 too. See if you could get your hands on a Malkoff M60 or M61 light assembly for the 6P/C2 I'm sure you read about in those 10 hours. As for the 9N and 8X unfortunately no one has made an aftermarket LED bulb for us yet. The SF B90 battery is over priced and craps out. There are some cheap chinese Ebay B90 knock offs I got that work OK but dont work with the SF charger because of a collar on the positive end (identical to a Streamlight Stinger battery) I have not tried a spacer or magnet, but will charge on a Streamlight Stinger charger. Dont know if you have a SL Stinger charger if you do let me know and give you one so you could get by for now. The JB RRT-0 is a great little light dont know off the top of my head of another light that could switch off from AA to CR123/RCR123. You might also look into the 18650 bored 6Ps and C2s for a higher capacity longer running time I'm sure you also read about in the 10 hours.

Last edited:

gunslingerdoc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I'll check em out. I've kinda been looking at the lumens factory m3 heads...not cheap but cheaper then SF!

For those of you using rechargeable 123's do they hold there charge or loose it pretty fast like the double AA's?

Does anyone make an infinite adjustable dropin for the 6p sized lights that's reasonable (ie., less then buying a new torch)? My dropin for the C2 is great but the whole strobe and SOS thing is obnoxious! I'd even be happy with a 3 level dropin led.

Of course the E2 is feeling lonely ---recs for a new head or replacement led?

Plan on sticking to AA or 123's just incase I need to loan or borrow when I'm working....

Thanks for the great advice so far!

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey gunslingerdoc,

There are options out there for the M3. Size is a factor.

Lumens Factoy makes the Seraph P7 turbo head. it is slightly smaller than the Surefire M6 head. it screams out 800 lumens, runs on three CR123 primaries or 2x 17500 rechargeables.

It costs only $100 or less. I have one and I love it.

TLS TX4 is a M3 size head. it only puts out 600 lumens and costs $130. I dont own one so I cant say anything about it.

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/PROD/Surefire-HID/FL-TLS-TX4

the other end of the spectrum is to get something custom made. have a look at Milkyspit here in the forums. I just came back from him with a custom surefire head and it is awesome. there are a whole slew of options to tailor the custom build for your preference. it is not cheap but will be the light you will use the most due to the versatility.

Think of it like a car. Milkyspit is like Chip Foose. He will make the light do whatever you want.

1wrx7

Enlightened
Hi gunslingerdoc :welcome:

Try looking for nailbender's threads in the custom B/S/T subforum. He makes a lot of different D26 LED modules that would work in your 6P/C2 lights. He also makes D36 LED modules that will work in your M3's I've been meaning to pick up a D36 module from him for a while now but keep putting it off. I built a D26 weapon light for a co-worker with one of his drop-in's and was very pleased with the cost/quality.

A big +1 for Malkoff stuff:thumbsup: It costs more, but he makes some of the most bomb proof drop-in's available... I have two of them.

For rechargeables I use AW brand RCR123's, 17670's and 18650's. I also need to buy some of the IMR type cells for certian high amp applications. I've never used AA rechargeables so I can't really give an insight to that. Two AW 17500's will fit in your M3's without any modification, as long as you get a drop-in or whole new head that works with them you're all set.

For your partially melted M3 head... just call SureFire. They will probally just send you a new one at no cost. I've had a couple of tailcaps that quit working, and after a short phone call I had brand new replacements mailed to me within a week:party: Their customer service is second to none.

And like Solscud007... Hi Nick:wave: said... custom work is always an option. We have several great flashlight modders here, and Milkyspit probally does more SF mods than anyone. Here is what he did to a crennelated M3 head that I sent to him.....

img-hollowpoint-inhead.jpg

You've definately come to the right place to find the info you needlovecpf

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Doc. If ya want to stay "stock" with the M3, you can grab an KL6 (Led head for the L6). They're ratehr hard to find thoguh...I've been trying to get on for awhile.

I'd like to see a picture of the C2,...that a sweet serial number there!

There's several tailcaps available with resistors that will give yuo the three out-put levels you're looking for that would work on your C2.

As far as the E2, there's several Surefire heads you can use...problem is, SF LED's aren't designed to handle RCR's, but any of these will work:

KL1 (Old 25 lumens LED head for the older E1L/E2L)
KL2 (Older 45 lumen(?) heads for the E2L)
KX2 (3/60 Lumen LED Head for the E2L (2007-to date)
KX2C (120-200 lumen head for the E2D and now the scoutlights)
KL4 (Old 100 lumen Lux-V L4 head)
KL4A (Newer 120 Lumen P2 head for the newer L4)

I've seen these heads go for as low as $45, but the usually average around $65 on the MP.

Hope this helps, and welcome to CPF!

carrot

Flashaholic
As for the E2, try a Malkoff M61 in a Valiant Concepts VME head. Not the cheapest solution but certainly one of the best solutions. You'll also need the lens and gasket kit.

carrot

Flashaholic
here's another option for your E-series lights.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=229715

I have two of his dropins, one running on a single rcr123, and the other alternating between a 17670 or two CR123 primaries.

completely transforms the light, and you can choose between cool or warm color temp!

these come up on marketplace occasionally too!
I have one of these too. They are quite nice. One caveat, if you have one of the older style heads (it sounds like you do) you will have to specify that you need the tower for an older head so he can send you one of the modified towers.

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a read into rechargeable Lithium ion battery chemistry over at the electronics section, I believe these have changed a lot over the years also.

They hold their charge a long time but they need care attention to be used safely and properly. As long as you use your torch every day/night rechargeable lithium ion cells would be worthwhile, if you use your lights seldom best to stick with CR123, maybe rechargeables in your duty light?

Oh and welcome back, theres no way out this time. :broke::devil: :thumbsup:

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
Oops, I've found out the Lumen Factory D36 isn't a 100% drop-in. The factory reflector has a lip to retain the foam shock absorber. The D36 does not, so you can place the foam on the edge of the reflector and get it all reassembled, but the second you twist the head to tighten it to the body, the foam will roll off the edge and into the cone of the reflector. It can be modified with some though (with a lathe, drill press, grinder, or hand files). I simply filed a lip onto the edge of the reflector to resemble the OEM unit so the foam is retained when the head is compressed once screwing onto the body. Or you can simply leave off the foam or use a shim since the shock absorbent nature isn't a necessity for LEDs. Also have to turn down the backside a little so it drops in and seats well. About 15 minutes of work.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
And like Solscud007... Hi Nick:wave: said... custom work is always an option. We have several great flashlight modders here, and Milkyspit probally does more SF mods than anyone. Here is what he did to a crennelated M3 head that I sent to him.....

img-hollowpoint-inhead.jpg

You've definately come to the right place to find the info you needlovecpf

Ahhh so that was your light!!!! I was at Milky's house bringing him one of my lights work for the first time. He showed me the bullet light in person while I was there, and I liked it.

Latest posts