Tiablo A9 R5 Special Edition

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming it's a misprint since Cree doesn't make an XR-G emitter to my knowledge. I think a lot of dealers stopped carrying Tiablo recently, so I haven't heard anything about this light, but you would think that a flashlight manufacturer would catch an error like that and correct it but :shrug:. I did do a quick search and found one of their dealers who sells this light, and they also state "XR-G R5" for the emitter.... LOL.......:whistle:

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep it looks like they corrected it, I'm a big A9 fan great throwing light with or without the aspherical head and really light weight.

So what do you guys think? Will the XPG actually be a bit of a handicap for this light in terms of throw? I was thinking maybe it's not so bad for the aspherical head but one of the best things I like about the XR-E model is the 200 meter throw with the regular head.

Like I said I think anything less than the throw that it has now with the regular head is something I'm not interested in.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Yep it looks like they corrected it, I'm a big A9 fan great throwing light with or without the aspherical head and really light weight.

So what do you guys think? Will the XPG actually be a bit of a handicap for this light in terms of throw? I was thinking maybe it's not so bad for the aspherical head but one of the best things I like about the XR-E model is the 200 meter throw with the regular head.

Like I said I think anything less than the throw that it has now with the regular head is something I'm not interested in.

It is quite likely that unless the reflectors are re-designed that the throw will be less. I believe that the narrower beam angle of the XRE is one of the factors that facilitates throw with a smaller reflector relative to emitters with wider beam angles.

The narrower beam angle of the XRE also favors use with an Aspheric lens.

Then, finally, the surface brightness of the XRE is also higher than the XPG.

jwyj

Enlightened
It is quite likely that unless the reflectors are re-designed that the throw will be less. I believe that the narrower beam angle of the XRE is one of the factors that facilitates throw with a smaller reflector relative to emitters with wider beam angles.

The narrower beam angle of the XRE also favors use with an Aspheric lens.

Then, finally, the surface brightness of the XRE is also higher than the XPG.
Well, being the owner of 3 pieces of A9 + 3 collimator heads, I find the High output: 1A at 280 Lumens appears really low. What gives? All those 2.8A drivers have been being available for a long time. :shakehead I guess I'll pass.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What gives? All those 2.8A drivers have been being available for a long time. :shakehead I guess I'll pass.

XP-G will not survive 2.8A drive current (at least not for a long time). Maximum recommended drive current is 1.5A.

cccpull

Enlightened
Looks like Tiablo has corrected their website to read "CREE XPG R5 LED"

Yup. I e-mailed them this past weekend in reference to what appeared as a misprint in their ad promoting the Cree LED change (which I thought differentiated the "Special Edition" from the regular A9) and they responded Monday morning thanking me for the attention and that the other thing that made it special was, "because it is the first model to use SMO reflector with R5 LED in the world at present with good performance".

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the right driver the XP-G can compete with the XR-E (stock) in an A9-type light. I have a DBS with a 1.5A XP-G and to my eyes it throws as far or farther and is much brighter than the 1.2A XR-E in the same SMO reflector.