Build your own iPhone/iPod charger

jellydonut

Enlightened
Wait, Apple devices won't charge off any mini-USB connector, but only theirs?

Now I've heard everything.. Crazy.:shakehead edit - okay, I guess it isn't mini-USB, but whichever connector it is then..

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's so wrong of employing technology to make charging of a built-in, high-energy-density Li battery as safe as possible? As well as patenting and licensing such technology, that any USB charging device should have, but currently does not by default/USB standard rules?

Besides, Apple's and licensed chargers are hardly in rip-off territory with prices of $30 or lower.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea makes sense, but she really should have done a couple of graphs to show the curves to DIY'ers could dial in exactly what they want in terms of charging.

Illum

Flashaholic
Ladyada has been on the Mintyboost plus several other concepts since way back before ipods came about, as I have been building mintyboosts for a very long time.

The issue with the apple products are no longer focused on charging from the computer, so eventually they'll have to break computer compatability and soon they will monopolize chargers:ohgeez:

so far I'm trying the same using 4 100K 25 turn trims...
USB: 1:V+, 2: D, 3: D, 4:Gnd
For pin 2 the potential divider is set ar [High end 15K, Low end 10K][Vin = 5V, Vout = 2.00V]
For Pin 3 the potential divider is set at [High end 47K, Low end 56K][Vin = 5V, Vout = 2.72V]
it appears to work...

Last edited: