Penlight for science-minded military unit.

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been tasked with finding a nice, non-disposable penlight for my unit. I'm looking to get about 10 lights. I just found these Sunlite Slim2 lights, and wanted to ask here if they're any good. The penlights will be used for various close-at-hand duties and inspection of equipment.

Thanks for any input.

v/r

mike.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac PN20a2 or PN20a
4 Sevens Preon2 or Preon

Size15's

Flashaholic
How about the ICON Solo penlight?
I'm really appreciating the excellent clip and I've had occasion to use it as my edc when I've needed a slim low profile light (wedding, suited meetings at headoffice etc, light-weight summer clothing etc).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD05 is a nice light.

Cree XPE - R2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
Three levels of output: 32 lumens (5 hrs), 4 lumens - (23 hrs), 100 lumens (1.5 hrs) - All figures with Ni-mh rechargeable batteries
Uses two x 1.5v AAA batteries, (Ni-mh or alkaline).
Inexpensive and widely available
Working voltage: 1.8-3.2v
149.5mm (length) x 14.5mm (dia)
Constructed from durable stainless steel and aluminium
Type 111 hard anodized anti - abrasive finish
44.5 gram weight (excluding batteries)
Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti reflective coating
Two spare 0-rings included

If budget is a problem,plenty of the medical supply companies do dozens of different pen-lights and lots of medical reps give them away as a freebie.

tbenedict

Enlightened
I would vote for the Preon2 if the price is doable. They start off in low for close tasks and they have a fairly large hot spot which is also good close up.

A mechanic buddy of mines uses the Stylus Pro and is quite happy with it, so that may be the best, less expensive alternative.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously consider the Peak Eiger Penlight, which has been upgraded to the XP-G and which is available in your choice of power levels and plenty of optional configurations in SS, Brass and HAIII:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/244743

P1010605.jpg

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Have a look at the Quark AA Mini, which takes a single AA cell. It has a nice floody beam for the sort of tasks mentioned, is efficient, simple and has a good output.

It doesn't have the long slim form factor of the sunlite, but it does have a 'small' form factor and puts out a lot for it's size. More convenient for holding in your mouth too, than a longer heavier light with two batteries.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Streamlight Stylus Pro which is very good, but now I only use my Preon 2 warm.

It is a superlative light.

I think it is worth the upgraded cost, but it's hard to go wrong with the Streamlight.

Keep us posted.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kinds of "close hand" duties and what kind of equipment inspection?

The Streamlight has a good throw, not a lot of spill which is great for checking say an engine, but not so good for checking a computer's innards, in my opinion.

To keep the light idiot simple, I'd suggest either the Streamlight or the Eagletac.

-Trevor

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure just how tough the light has to be, but the Peak Eiger will be most durable. All the others are great too, if the conditions aren't bad.

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the ideas. I didn't know I had this many options. I've sent a request for cost from both the 4seven light as well as the Peak light. If the prices are somewhat close to the quote I received from Sunlite, then I may switch to one of those.

This is exactly the information I was looking for, thanks to all who replied. I'll write back when it is decided what to go with.

v/r

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Depending on your size/price/runtime priorities the ITP EOS A3 (AAA batteries) and A2 (AA batteries) might also be worth looking at.

If you want a light that can tailstand the Maratac AAA and AA versions (from Countycomm.com) are more versatile (with a strong magnet glued to the tail they can also be placed on non-horizontal surfaces).

All are available in Alumininium (lighter, better heat dissapation, cheaper) or Stainless Steel (more robust).

All can run on primary lithium batteries (1.6v) or rechargeable Nimh (1.3v). Don't leave alkaline batteries in a light for any length of time, they will eventually leak and damage the light.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the ideas. I didn't know I had this many options. I've sent a request for cost from both the 4seven light as well as the Peak light. If the prices are somewhat close to the quote I received from Sunlite, then I may switch to one of those.

The Slim2 is not the brightest light around, but due to the simple construction it is probably very reliable.
I have made beamshots of many penlights here.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Have a look at the Quark AA Mini, which takes a single AA cell. It has a nice floody beam for the sort of tasks mentioned, is efficient, simple and has a good output.

It doesn't have the long slim form factor of the sunlite, but it does have a 'small' form factor and puts out a lot for it's size. More convenient for holding in your mouth too, than a longer heavier light with two batteries.

I can agree with this advice. Why have that extra length of a penlight?

Geoff

Force Attuned

Enlightened
How about the ICON Solo penlight?
I'm really appreciating the excellent clip and I've had occasion to use it as my edc when I've needed a slim low profile light (wedding, suited meetings at headoffice etc, light-weight summer clothing etc).

+1 on the Icon Solo.

Looks great, performs well and the 2 levels are very very handy.

maikutis

Newly Enlightened
The slim long form seems to fit in our ODU blouse pretty well, with easy retrieval. If it's too short, it tends to get lost in the blouse pocket.

idtsyfa

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the Pelican 2AA penlights. Not the brightest out there but sufficient for typical penlight usage.

Latest posts