Night Hike, Flashaholic Style

Larbo

Enlightened
After finding out a state park nearby to us has night hikes a few times a year we finally made it to one, did I mention they said bring a flashlight? :whistle:
Well my two oldest ones and me had 12 lights between us, watching the people arrive and looking at what they considered lights was rather amazing. What a collection of incan mags and cheap led lights including a plastic lantern, one guy had a spotlight with a reflector that looked about 8 inches around that my warm quark was brighter then.
After a 1.5 mile hike using mostly my energizer micro headlamp and quarks the moment I was waiting for arrived, "when we get to the top of the hill lets go in the field and shine our lights to look for deer eyes, your lights wont be bright enough to see the deer thou", I said out loud to myself mine will.
When the moment came I unleashed my L35 and not only lite the deer nicely, I lite the trees about 400 yards away, I heard nice light from a few people and had some ask where I got it from.
I cant wait till next year..:crackup:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, and yet more people are enlightened! :thumbsup:

Great story - thanks for sharing.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks, Larbo, for upholding the honor of flashaholics worldwide. I'll bet you did cause a few folks to reevaluate their lights.

Geoff

Larbo

Enlightened
Larbo ya gotta share what this state park is and what event these night hikes are....

Washington Crossing Park, they only have one in July and one in August, it was limited to about 20 people also.

m3flies

Banned
Great story Larbo. I absolutely swear, just moments before I read this thread, I was thinking a cheap, company provided incan may allow you to see glowing eyes in the woods,but a higher end LED will allow you to see what's behind them. I imagine an L35 would not only show you what's behind them, but also be able to count the hairs on their chin.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
It was nicely done, a brief introduction to some of the animals and insects for the noobs, and an interesting lesson on astronomy, the walk was only a short one (1.5 miles), as avid day hikers this was fun, shame most parks around here close at dusk.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
After finding out a state park nearby to us has night hikes a few times a year we finally made it to one, did I mention they said bring a flashlight? :whistle:

I wonder if that realise the kind of affect that phrase has on a small percentage of the population. :grin2:

Well my two oldest ones and me had 12 lights between us

When the moment came I unleashed my L35 and not only lite the deer nicely, I lite the trees about 400 yards away, I heard nice light from a few people and had some ask where I got it from.
I cant wait till next year..:crackup:

My biggest problem is deciding which to bring and which to leave behind - it's kinda hard to bring everything unless I have a pack mule to carry them. I'd be kinda tempted to bring my brightest - 7000+ Lumen of incan goodness is quite a thing to see, so what if the run time is under 15 minutes! For the walk itself I'd go with the Zebralight H60w to see around me and a Mag2D ROP or hotwire in the hand. Of course I'd hope to see other D cell Maglites so I could compare mine to them :devil:.

Man that does sound like fun, I wish I lived near somewhere that did night hikes like that.

Latest posts