Looking for a new led flashlight

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Hello people, I currently own a Led lenser 7736TS and want a major upgrade to the current one. I am looking for a high powered, pocket sized, focusable, waterproof flashlight of good quality with a max budget of 200 $. Can anyone suggest what flashlight to buy? I was looking at the MKN SST-90 MOD Flashlight, but I am not sure it is focusable. Any ideas people? Thanks!

cistallus

Enlightened
Is "focusable" an absolute requirement, or just desirable? It really limits your choices. Nothing about that MKN light (LH sales page, or discussion at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/264852) says it has variable beam focus, pretty sure it's a normal fixed beam.

I'd suggest two lights - a floody light can be quite small (like a Quark Mini 123 with 16340 LiIon battery - a wall of light), perhaps something like that plus a separate larger pocket light that has more throw would be a good combo.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Focusable" and "waterproof" are really going to be mutually exclusive, at least in any light's I've seen.

Lose the focusable spec, and the world of high end lights really opens up.

-BTW, a diffuser is more efficient than de-focusing an optic to get a wider beam, as found with most optic based focusing lights.

Under $200, you have a lot of options. I would wholeheartedly suggest anything from Surefire, Ra, Peak, or perhaps a used light on the Marketplace (not as bad as it sounds... Many wonderful lights available, from custom, semi-custom and production, most lightly used).

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to omit the need for focusing and have my eyes on the sunwayled m40c because I like many things about it:

The 165$ price tag
The compact size
The features
The Anodizing
The waterproofing
The POWA!!

But should I really go for this light? I'm really new to flashlights (laserholic) and looking for something BRIGHT that I will enjoy using during the night for the fun of it. I really have no particular uses for this flashlight, so is this the right one for me? If you think I might be better off with another flashlight, then please suggest some to me!

Thanks!

BarryG

Enlightened
For that price, the light that comes to mind is the Ra Clicky. It's bulletproof and you can set the interface any way you like it.
You can't go wrong with a Surefire either. I don't own a Ra yet but the only issue that I've ever have with any of my Surefire's is the bulb blowing in the incan's.
Look around at the dealers that have a following here and see what they have to offer....4sevens, batteryjunction, and bugoutgear and the main ones that I deal with but plenty of others have great prices and customer service<very important 6 months down the road when you have a problem>.

Barry

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clearly you want a powerful "larger" light. I would not clal the M40C small. Anyway, for the money you can do better. Check out the 100 yeard beam shots here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/283966

You can see the M40C compared to some other lights. If you want to spend $200, want massive "powa", and don't mind the size, get a VaraPower 2000. Your not going to find any LED light that puts put more power than that one (non that have been proven to put out more power than that one anyway).

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
I have no been able to find any reviews of the varapower 2000 or any pics. It's price is a little on the high side and the size isn't something to write home about. Any other suggestions around the M40c's pricetag?

Thanks!

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
+1 on the HDS Clicky, and also check out the Malkoff MD2. Both bulletproof and great lights. The HDS is smaller and more versatile (you can customize all 4 outputs to whatever level suits your needs), and the Malkoff is larger and has more grunt.

Last edited:

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion guys, but I'm not really looking for a pocket light here, more like something that fits in the palm of my hand and has lots of power such as the M40C.

cistallus

Enlightened
If you are familiar and comfortable with Li-Ion 18650, or with using up lots of CR123, the M40C would be a reasonable light to try - relatively new so not yet tons of info on CPF about it.

A popular light in a similar brightness class is the Fenix TK40 (or if you want a bit more flood than throw, the TK45), which uses regular AA batteries - then you could use Eneloops which are good, simple, and safe. These may or may not match your definition of "fits in the palm of the hand". Or if you like those TK models but want to stick with 18560/CR123, the TK30.

Dimitri Stephan

Newly Enlightened
There are so many lights to chose from and the differences are tiny. I like the tk45 because it throws a bit better than the M40C, but I like the M40C's colored LEDs, flood/throw balance and looks. I don't think there will be noticeable differences between the two though...
The M40C is still my favorite light!