Ruger LCP light mod

angler

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a long shot... but it appears there are a few flashlight "collectors" that also like firearms. Has anyone attempted a mod to attach a small LED light to the RUGER LCP? http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html
I was just sitting here thinking how cool it would be to have a small tactical light to attach to my pocket pistol.

Cole07

Enlightened
The only thing I've seen strapped under asub-compact pistols barrel is a laser (most notably a Kel-tec P3AT). Other than that I've never seen any OEM mods to put there.

lifeofahero

Newly Enlightened
I've got a CT Laser on mine, haven't seen any lights that attach but perhaps a CT unit could be modded for a led? If it's dark, I just hold a fenix pd30 (my current edc) in the off-hand.
img0031ku.jpg

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend a g2Z in the opposite pocket, with an M61 crammed inside.

You may be able to have someone build you a mount for a subcompact picatinny rail and use an Insight X2 or Streamlight TLR-3

angler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys - I have the same laser. I wear it inside the wasteband on my backside though so it is hard to keep it sighted. That is why I was hoping for a light mod.

I appreciate the ideas and feedback.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to keep it sighted?

As in hard to keep it zeroed with the point of impact?

I never fired an LCP, but if the sights are anything like the kel-tec, your best bed is re-zeroing it at the range weekly. I hear that there's aftermarket rear sights for the Kel-Tec first generation (okay, I researched it a while back). But even with them, the sights on such pocket rockets are pretty abysmal, good light or no.

angler

Newly Enlightened
Just the laser... the pressure from carrying it inside the waistband on my back side applies enough pressure that it slightly off centers the laser. The sites are fixed since it's a "mouse gun". I sctually think I have found a way to make it work recently. I carried it with a bunch of pressure and then re-sughted after it moved a bit and have not had to adjust since.

Not sure if that makes sense but it does to me... :)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes sense. First you put the parts in "working" configuration, and then you calibrated them.

Good idea, actually.

victory

Enlightened
On such a small, lightweight pistol, i would be concerned about causing cycling issues with the added weight. As far as modding the laser, you have to remember that those things only pull a few milliwatts

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, added weight adds more inertia to the pistol frame; this tends to reduce "limp-wristing" induced jams.

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see some kind of Crimson Trace body with 4sevens Preon head and AAA battery case made.

victory

Enlightened
Actually, added weight adds more inertia to the pistol frame; this tends to reduce "limp-wristing" induced jams.

If that was the point i was making, you would be right, but it's not. I said it might cause cycling issues by changing the slide timing. That very problem popped up on earlier Glock 22's with mounted lights. The speed of the slide cycling was increased to the point where it would misfeed as the magazine springs wore. Glock added a coil to the springs in the 40 caliber magazines and has since completely redesigned the recoil spring to a dual-captive type to combat this.

jgraham15

Enlightened
Where did you get your Ruger LCP. I thought they were not Cal legal.

They are legal for police officers. They can buy all the handguns not on CADOJ's stupid list! That list only applies to us normal folks. :sigh:

ETA: I think it is also possible to buy one from a police officer but i'm not quite sure.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The chances of there ever being a light adaptable to the LCP are scant. It's just too small, lights draw too much power and there's no place left for a sufficient power supply.

Chrontius

Very true! The glock 22 is a freak incident exception to this basic and accurate rule. Pistols by and large respond favorable to added frame weight.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my edc package :D. It would be neat to have a built in light, but since it's not available, I use my free hand. This picture was taken with my phone so the quality may not be very high.

Kel-Tec-1.jpg

Last edited:

acrosteve

Newly Enlightened
Bump for a old thread...

How did this ever work out? Are there any sites that cater towards this type of thing?

I have a LCR and a Mi X6 that I would like to marry.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I was looking at my litte EZCR2 and thinking it would be just about the right size to go on the rail on my PF-9. Erm...if it were a clicky.

A really tiny tactical LED for these little guns would be a good idea.

KevlarSix

Newly Enlightened
Ressurecting an old thread for a heads up on the new Viridian RTL light

Viridian Radiance Tactical Light

Both Viridian Radiance Tactical Light and Laserlyte Side Mount Laser activated below

5876v

Last edited:

Latest posts