Malkoff MD2 body extensions....

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was tempted to put this is ETC SHTF light thread, but I should not clutter it anymore...

Are there any one cell extensions for the Malkoff MD2 body? I would guess that threads are not 6P compatible.

you know what I am thinking of...

an emergency light that can be coniigurable for 2AA AND maintain its tactical/utility character (forward click switch & 2 mode ring)

thank you, kostas

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
Kostas,

The MD2 does not have a tailcap - it's a one-piece body with the switch installed at the end. Technically, an extender could be made for the head end, but that would be ungainly and unpopular, IMO.

The MD3 & MD4 do have tailcaps, and they are Surefire C series thread-compatible, so you should be able to extend an MD3 to the equivalent of an MD4, or make either light even longer. You could, in theory, go up to a 4x 18650 light, bearing in mind the voltage limits of the dropin you're using.

I looked at this quickly, using a standard Surefire A19 single cell extension, and it looked OK. I'll check more fully using extensions that will accept 18mm cells later.

<EDIT> OK, now I've tried extending the MD3 to MD4 size with a Jetbeam single cell extender. Two AW 18650-2600P cells worked just like the real MD4 body. I'd forgotten about this - it'll be quite useful to me. Thanks for the reminder!

I believe this has been discussed before...

Of course, you could just start with an MD3 body. That might be less desirable, depending on which dropin you're going to use.

- Syncytial.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD3 or MD4 is a much better option for the runtime. The thought of a extended MD2 IMO would be just plain ugly.

jellydonut

Enlightened
m60md3.jpg

m60md4.jpg

Both great options. Another exceptional fact is that they are actually in stock on Gene's site, and in the double digits too! :D

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The MD3 or MD4 is a much better option for the runtime. The thought of a extended MD2 IMO would be just plain ugly.

I like Malkoff bodies. One of the key features is the option for a two level light that retains a classic forward clicky's simplicity. I also like Malkoff dropins.

As I said previously, extending an MD2 in its current form is highly unlikely to be attractive to many. However, the ability to extend an MD3 or MD4 is useful, and needn't be unattractive. The Jetbeam extender I used to test this actually matches the aesthetics of the Malkoff bodies surprisingly well - except my extender is natural HA in colour, not Model-T black.

Considering alternatives for using 2x AA and Malkoff dropins...

I'm attracted to versatility, and the MD2's versatility is limited by its integrated switch, rather than a tailcap, and the design of its head. Of course, a tailcap has potential drawbacks as well - there's almost always some form of trade-off, and the head is optimised for Malkoff dropins, plus it allows the use of the Hi/Lo switch.

If there was a readily obtainable two-level switch (yes, I know) for the Surefire (or compatible) C platform, then I'd think a bored 6P would be the most versatile platform. It allows for numerous options for dropins, extensions, batteries, tailcaps, and switches.

I do take advantage of 3x CR123 bodies that will accept 2x 14500 cells, running M60LLs for acceptable runtime and output, with the option of falling back to 3x CR123 when necessary. I like a G3 body for this, though I've also done it with E series bodies, such as Vital Gear, with a VME head.

I will probably run an M31 in a 2x AA NiMh configration. I need to gather a bit more information, especially about the heat generated, before deciding which body to choose.

- Syncytial.

P.S. - I do like the MD3/4 bodies too, but for Kostas to order one from Gene directly would cost him $35.00 for shipping, plus any customs fees - that dampens the appeal.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thebigger head kills the idea of usig varios M-series dropins...

Had another look at the malkoff website and there is a standalone MD2 head. Any chance it crews on an MD3 body?

Syncytial, you and me CAN make 2 level surefire compatible switches. As a matter of fact I have one in my travel/SHTF kit. The question is which is more reliable...The switch or the malkoff ring.

Last minute thought.
Elzetta has a 2 stage switch for its flashlight....Can anyone check if they are Surefire or MD-3 compatible?

jellydonut

Enlightened
donn was just posting that as an example for what you can do with the MD3/4 bodies. Every Malkoff head and body is interchangeable with each other (aside from the VMEs of course, meant for E series lights). The MD2 head will go on the MD3 body with three CR123s and the MD4 with two 18650s.

I actually emailed Elzetta yesterday about their high/low tailcap, if their tailcap is 6P compatible it will fit on MD3 and MD4 bodies.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm that is interesting..so you CAN make your malkoff light as you like.....
(regarding my naive malkoff questions, do you think I may loose a chance into admission in the malkoff owners club? LOLOLOL)

I hope you will be kind enough to inform me on their answer?

While it will be useful as just knowledge to me, I am in a tactical forum that soem people use malkoffs/elzettas

thanks all, kostas

jellydonut

Enlightened
Pretty sure that doesn't disqualify you, I've managed to be baffled by the retainer ring on my MD2 working itself loose twice now without being kicked out, so it's all good.:crazy:

I'll be sure to get back to you about the Elzetta tailcap. I would just buy Malkoff hi/lo rings but the things are like unicorn horns.

edit - I just got word from ElZetta, their tailcaps are 6P compatible! I couldn't find them on the web store but that's because they were under spare parts, not the regular store; http://www.elzetta.com/Webpages/zfl-m60_parts.htm

I'm gonna order some now.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
..aaand it's shipped. Sheesh, that's quick!

They also have both M61s with lenses and gaskets, and the good old M60 in stock. Not many do.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
..aaand it's shipped. Sheesh, that's quick!

They also have both M61s with lenses and gaskets, and the good old M60 in stock. Not many do.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at the Elzetta website this morning. It's good to know the two level switch is Surefire C series compatible, which means it should work on the Malkoff MD3 & 4. Now you'll have to team it up with a body that has a Malkoff Hi/Lo ring for four levels (they may not be well spaced, but I bet the lowest would be really low!) The Elzetta tailcap isn't inexpensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it works just like Gene's Hi/Lo, just done at the tail.

As well, Elzetta manufactures (or has manufactured) the M60 under license, so supply should continue from them for a while - that may depend upon supply of the emitters, or they may adopt the M61.

There's still a market for a good, reasonably priced, two level tailcap/switch for the C series that doesn't require soldering etc.

Further to the question of a 2AA body for the M31(W), I'll try an MD3 with MD2 head & Hi/Lo switch (yes, I've got a few unicorn horns too ;))

- Syncytial.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
one more crazy question.....

anyone has tried screwing an MD3 or MD2 body in a Derrelight DBS head?

Latest posts