Malkoff VME or Dereelight drop-in?

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I'm compiling parts for my Surefire E1B build with a Z68 tail cap. I want to run a CR123A primary exclusively.

I was all set to get a Malkoff VME head with an M31 drop-in, but now I've stumbled across the possibility of using Oveready's E to C adapter and a Surefire Z44 bezel with one of Dereelight's low-voltage drop-ins.

The Dereelight drop-in I'm looking at is their single-stage version, with an XP-G R5 emitter (0.9-4.2 volts)

Any opinions on which would serve me better? My three main performance criterion are output, run-time, and throw in that order.

Thank you

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know anything about Dereelight's drop-ins.

But I will tell you that the Malkoffs are top notch and the new reflectored drop-ins are amazing.

I'd also like to note that the E1B is really nice with the VME and quite compact. An awesome setup.

You won't be nearly as compact if you go with the E2C, although it affords you the opportunity to try lots of other drop-ins as well.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite happy with my other Malkoff purchases, I'm sure the VME head is no exception.

I wish I could find a picture of an E1B with VME head.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
I have VME heads on Vital Gear and Valiant Concepts E series compatible bodies. I also have some E-C adapters - both Surefire and the ones sold by Oveready. I'm using Malkoff dropins in all of these lights.

Have a look at the most recent Vital Gear sales thread on the marketplace. It has pictures of a number of combinations of heads and adapters with the Vital Gear bodies - that may help from an aesthetic standpoint. I do find a Z44 & adapter a bit ungainly on an E series body.

As for which dropin to choose... I've got both Malkoff and Dereelight dropins, but not the specific ones you're looking at (yet). I suspect the Dereelight might throw further, but that'd need confirmation. The one thing that does come to mind is the M31 is really well optimised for use at up to 3 volts. The Dereelight may prefer higher voltages for maximum runtime at full output.

The new reflectored Malkoff dropins I do have are excellent - no question. However, they do trade off some throw (relative to the M60/30) while increasing output and hotspot size.

Here is a post with pics of a VME/E1L/Z68.

- Syncytial.

Last edited: