Mount Doom in France

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Just returned from a little holiday in France at my friend's house in a little mountain village near Grenoble.
We had the opportunity to watch a huge forest fire consuming the mountain situated next to us ... it started very slow and we did not pay attention at first, but were alarmed by the smell of fire while playing Heroes of Might and Magic in the night, and there it was! the whole mountain was on fire or smoldering! It had exactly the look of Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings, very beautiful. It got a bit less amusing when the whole side of the mountain facing us went on fire the following night. It took the fire only about 15 minutes to light up the whole damned thing. We saw flames 20-30m high and could hear the fire breathing, and the smell ... argh! So ... we started packing our belongings when suddenly a big thunderstorm began and killed the fire after a few hours of continous rainfall. The poor firefighters had no chance at all, no chance. In the end, we were lucky this time. Of course the only time I would have needed my digicam outside was the only time I forgot to bring it along to France /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
Anyway, my point here is: everyone laughed as I arrived with a total of four flashlights with me (you see, I limited myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). After this fire thing, they laughed no more:
- the L4 excelled at lighting up the entire area around the house, very usefull with a bunch of upset people there and no electrical power at all ...
- the Eternalight EliteMax permitted longterm illumination inside, we did not even have candles there!
- my keychain-Arc LS was the ideal walk-arounder
- and , yeah, my M6 HOLA. Their jaws dropped to the floor when I fired it up the first time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. With that sucker we could reach some dear and even a boar at 100-200m round the house and give them the smell of daylight.
The animals were upset, too, and we heard very strange and menacing sounds like grrrrr, schlrp schlrp, ... and big creatures passing through the woods unseen. From the sounds they made we estimated them behemoth sized or bigger ... Puh guys, I do not envy you any more for living in the nature, quite scaring, I have to admit.
So ... to put it short: we were quite happy to have all these lights around, and you can imagine me gleaming with pride /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Finally a BIG flashaholic's moment for me, too.
Have to go and buy some new batteries though, and very much of them. Maybe my friend and his wife liked this M6 a bit too much ...
bernhard

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Glad to hear you are all safe, and glad the rain doused the fire!

Throughout the recent posts about the massive power outage in the Northeast U.S...I saw very little mention of the eternaLights! They are just excellent loooooooooong run torches! Perfect addition to the "required torches"!! Happy to see that yours contributed!

Everyone thinks we're crazy until they need a torch!

Whistler

Enlightened
Bernhard, I'm glad you and your family are fine.

Excellent choice of flashlights!

These menacing sounds like grrrrr, schlrp schlrp , are you sure it wasn't your M6, eating 123's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, sounds like someone started that fire?!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
whistler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
the "bump"-sound was me hitting the floor qwhen my friend asked for yet another set of 123s for "his" new M6-toy ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

we were never in real danger, we were just cautious. would the fire have continued for another hour or so with this hunger, my friend's house would have been ashes right now. but we were lucky.

sigman, ditto about eternalights! so long and so versatile! the ideal task for them.

bernhard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
bernhard,

After being in a building fire I have never lost my fear of it, and I found your post alarming but with a happy ending.
BTW, You WERE in danger: what if the car/truck hadn't started?

I agree about the Eternalight. I have the originl "classic" model; tiny but not waterproof.

Brightnorm

Kiessling

Flashaholic
brightnorm, you're right. but we had two vehicles at the location.
and, btw ... we in Europe do seldom use trucks, our roads are too small for those monsters ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

darkwater

Newly Enlightened
A LOtR fan! Great books.

Glad your all right. Should have used the M6 to find out what type of varments they were. Would have been interesting. Deerspotting anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
great books indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's great when you can use your lights like that isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif