D-MINI VX , a thrower no more, "Free Upgrade" Kills Throw

brightnorm

Flashaholic
In this photo see the D-Mini VX with D-65V, and DiMini VX with D-65V, TF (Teleforce head)

http://www.lumapower.com/products/D-mini_VX/DVX_all.jpg

The D-Mini VX (not to be confused with D-Mini VX-ULTRA) is (was) a long-throwing light using an XR-E R2. The Teleforce head (not to be confused with TURBOforce head designed exclusively for D-Mini VX-ULTRA), promised to make it a super long-thrower.

When I received my VX I attached the D-65V tube, inserted the included contact spring and a fully charged 18650 (Pila), and clicked to Max. Instead of the expected brilliant spot I got a diffused beam. Even after attaching the Teleforce long-throw head the beam had only slightly more focus.

I was very disappointed but checked the packing slip and read:
"LumaPower D-Mini VX 270 Lumens--FREE UPGRADE TO R5".

Instead of the XR-E they had "upgraded" to an XP-G R5 which would only provide long throw in a larger diameter head. My old original D-Mini threw better than this!

For comparison I got out my little Quark Turbo which projected a more powerful and focused beam than this new VX with TF head.

Unfortunately, the push toward brighter LEDs has resulted in the XP-G replacing the XR-E and XP-E) in many small lights that originally boasted respectable throw combined with sufficient spread for general use, but have now eliminated much of their former throw.

This has been noticed especially in the Quark and Fenix 22mm head diameter lights. Fortunately, Quark has retained some XP-E R2 heads for sale, and I bought a few Fenix XR-E R2's before they switched to XP-G's.

This post has two purposes:
1 Rant
2 Heads-up to prospective purchasers of this light anticipating impressive throw.

Brightnorm

PS: I will call LumaPower to see if any XR-E heads are still available.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: D-MINI VX "Free Upgrade" Kills Throw

I'm sure you're right, (and I changed the text to reflect that), but the issue is the inability of an XP-G to really throw in that size reflector, and the unwanted, unannounced "upgrade" that kills what would have been a real thrower.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
I feel for ya. I recently (about a month ago) got a D-mini VX (w/ D-65V and TF) specifically for its throw ability in such a small package. Thank heavens it arrived with an R2, as advertised. I think you have a legitmate claim to a free replacement R2 pill, if still available.

Just a couple quick words on stuff you mentioned. You didn't say explicitly, but I think you implied that the D-65V for 18650 improves output in some way. I was under the impression that all it does is improve runtime. To my eyes, at least, I seem to get the same level of output and throw from an 18650 as I do from an RCR123. CR123 is another matter--a little less output, it seems.

Regarding the Fenix lights... I lucked out and got in on the last batch of Q5 PD20's, but I didn't even know it at the time as I was even more of a noobie then. But, wow, what little thrower it is. And I didn't actually realize as much until I got my D-mini VX. The tiny PD20 seems like it comes pretty darn close to throwing in the same vicinity as the LumaPower, and that's even with the Teleforce head on. And speaking of which, I have to say that I don't see much of an increase in throw with the TF on. Maybe I haven't had proper test conditions with which to gauge the difference, but to my untrained naked eye, they seem very similar.

I just re-read my comments and it might seem like I'm dissatisfied with my D-mini, but I'm not. For its size, it puts out a tremendous amount of light and throws it a good distance. It looks great, seems well-built and tough, and most importantly works flawlessly so far.

Good luck getting your emitter issue sorted out.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think Lumapower have any choice over the unwanted, unannounced "upgrade".
Cree has been phasing the XR-E out forcing everyone to switch to XP-C/E/G.

What you experienced had happened to the 4sevens lights a while back. No more throwy R2 versions. All new production is floody XP-G. There were complaints the old XR-E R2 in a standard head can out-throw the XP-G R5 in a turbo head.

Should try a new Preon. The hotspot is 2X wider than my other AA/AAA lights. Not 1.4X wider as expecred. The only lights with wider hotspots are my P7 lights.

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
Should try a new Preon. The hotspot is 2X wider than my other AA/AAA lights. Not 1.4X wider as expecred. The only lights with wider hotspots are my P7 lights.

When I got my Preon 2 about a month ago I was taken aback with its huge hotspot and flood. When I ordered it I didn't understand the what's and why's of 'throw vs. spill', so for 160 OTF I expected more throw. But then I came to appreciate the beam, especially given the form factor it's matched with and the tasks I had been and in the future will likely be using a penlight for. The fact that L92 lithiums are what's needed (as opposed to the coppertops it ships with) to really rev up this light should be officially advertised somwhere in the Preon 2 product literature.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...Thank heavens it arrived with an R2, as advertised. I think you have a legitmate claim to a free replacement R2 pill, if still available...I think you implied that the D-65V for 18650 improves output in some way...Good luck getting your emitter issue sorted out.
Lucky you! I'll see about a replacement but I'm not optimistic. I didn't mean to suggest any output difference with the D-65V (18650). I suppose replacing XR-E with XP-G is considered "progress". It is progress as long as other options remain. Unfortunately preserving those other options aren't commercially feasible and many of us are the losers.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I do not think Lumapower have any choice over the unwanted, unannounced "upgrade".
Cree has been phasing the XR-E out forcing everyone to switch to XP-C/E/G....

It's unfortunate when something that does a job better than anything else is eliminated in favor of something that can't do that job, but is better at a different job.

Brightnorm

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Two things:

• The Turbo Force head is NOT Ultra-only. In fact, it works significantly better with the R2. Frankly, I expect it to work with the XP-G as well.
  • I ordered an R2 engine straight from LumaPower, and it came in a little over a week. It was just a screw-in engine - you use your existing head/reflector. They charged me $29 for this, shipped.
    • I do not know if LumaPower changed the reflector along with the "free" R5 upgrades, so your mileage may vary.
The D-Mini VX series is excellent. I hope you are able to resolve your problems. Good luck!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...I ordered an R2 engine straight from LumaPower, and it came in a little over a week. It was just a screw-in engine - you use your existing head/reflector..
Great idea, but I don't see that option on the LumaPower site. Where did you find it?

Brightnorm

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree has been phasing the XR-E out forcing everyone to switch to XP-C/E/G.
There is absolutely no evidence that I am aware of of Cree in any way phasing the XR-E out. The problem is the XP-G is the flavor of the month and is what sells product so even if it does not make for a superior product the manufacturers are going to do it.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
My friend just ordered the D-mini vx and got it. He ended up with a R5 instead of an R2. I think he ordered before battery junction listed the change on their website, maybe he can get a replacement...

Anywho with the turbo force head I would not say the beam is defuse. It still goes a long way but has a bright ring midway between the hot spot and flood. I thought R5s did not have rings...

If the flood with this turbow force head is pretty good on the R5 I cant imagine how good it is with an R5.
Anywho I do not have anything to compare it to, but my friend has the 3xcree eagle tac and the eagle tac goes almost as far. THe flood is a lot brighter and the hot spot is wider but the R5 d-mini just seems to throw a little bit farther.

So he is a little annoyed because when he ordered it the email says its the 270 lumen version which is supposed to be the R2, but the R5 one is listed as 300 lumens.

lostinwv

Newly Enlightened
I have the "Ultra" version of this light, which has the SST-50. With the Turbo Force head, it throws very well. Since reading this thread, I've wondered if it makes sense for me to pick up an R2 pill from Lumapower for even better throw. Does this make sense to do? Or would dropping an R2 engine in the Ultra be pointless?

Sorry if my post seems off topic, and thanks for any guidance you might provide.

Dave

Latest posts