Fenix TK45 Question.

ChevyGuy1987

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking for a very bright flashlight to use while hunting and hiking. I was told the Fenix Tk45 was a good choice but I was wondering if there was a brighter flashlight of comparable size or if anyone custom builds something brighter? I am completely new to this and am completely open to suggestions. Thanks all.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are brighter LED lights out there, both made by custom builders and from other companies. The Olight SR90 comes to mind as a good example.

But, when it comes to AA powered lights, the TK45 is currently the brightest one available. All the other ones are powered by other, less common batteries.

Brightness isn't everything though. The TK45 doesn't throw as far as a TK40 even though it is noticeably brighter but it does have a wider hot spot. Whether that matters or not all depends on what you want in a light.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, FEW flashlights are very bright for very long as the power required drains batteries within an hour or two. One exception is the Olight SR91 with it's whopping 10 hour runtime at 450 lumens. Jolly big light for hiking though. More than twice the weight of the TK45.

TK45 on turbo is dead at 2 hours, not a lot of time in hiking land. Still, you usually don't need all that light anyway as med and high are still more than enough to light your trail.

If you do choose the TK45 (or any other AA powered light), make sure you get yourself some Sanyo Eneloops and a smart charger.

If you don't mind big lights, Chris of Mac's Customs is making this as we speak. It should be a ripper of a light engine. Get a 3-4D mag and some of these.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hello, I am looking for a very bright flashlight to use while hunting and hiking. I was told the Fenix Tk45 was a good choice but I was wondering if there was a brighter flashlight of comparable size or if anyone custom builds something brighter? I am completely new to this and am completely open to suggestions. Thanks all.

TK45 is a good bright light, but it is not a thrower, the beam is rather wide.

You can see a comparison of many larger light on my webpage and I will add the TK45 later today.

linty

Newly Enlightened
May I suggest looking into a headlamp? For me I discovered this while camping, it's easier to have two hands then trying to armpit/mouth a flashlight and setting up tents, hawling water from the source etc. Oh and found that In the woods, it's SO dark that for me it's not worth paying for 600+ lumens you know? It's so dark a little light goes a long way.

(ps, I know I didn't acctually suggest anything, as I'm still sorta searching for headlamps myself, I currently have Streamlight Trident and while it's ok, I'm still looking).

Good luck!

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
For hunting, TK 45 is a good light to illuminate the target within the 50 to 100ft mark. The generous spill will also light up the target's surrounding. ( I hunt in an area where natives are prone to be mistaken as game.) :faint: IMHO, its too big for one to point the TK45 and shoot simultaneously. For me, I don't hunt solo, we take turns to be the torch bearer, so it makes sense to carry the biggest and brightest light available. I carry the TK45 on my hip using the Nite Ize stretch holster clipped on a duty belt. Its a tight fit, but it works. Forget about the swiveling part, the battery tube is too heavy for the holster to maintain a horizontal position, any big movement will tilt the torch back to the vertical position with the light pointing right back at your face :oops:

For Hiking, its depends on the terrain you're in. if you don't need to use your hands for climbing, setting up tents, etc, by all means bring the TK45 along. Btw, its an overkill with the lumens output on turbo, medium and the occasional high will suffice. Otherwise, go for a head lamp like what linty suggested. I can't stand wearing a hardhat or a pisspot on hikes, so I'm using a single 10440 light clipped on my baseball cap. Just bring along some backup lights and lots of cells.

This is how my setup looks like, cheap, simple and effective.
_MG_9714.jpg

Geode

Enlightened
The TK45 beam reminds me of the L5, only way bigger and brighter. It will light up a lot of cubic ft, but I found myself preferring a flashlight with more throw.

cckw

Newly Enlightened
You didn't say much about your hunting needs. But if you are using a high quality scope (Nikon Monarch series, Bushnell 4200 series, etc or better) any light is going to do much better for shooting then it would seem with the naked eye. I agree with TK45.