Best 10LED flashlight for <$40.00

Firescooby

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a place to get the best possible 10 LED flashlight for less than $40.00. I am familiar with LED's for emergency lighting, but never been around LED flashlights. I am currently looking at the Streamlight Twin-Task 2D that has 10 LED's. Botachtactical has the for $31.95. Is this a good light? Is there any better one for a similar price?

I am just wanting it to keep in vehicle for use in emergencies/etc. I currently use a Lag Charger, but have had a few problems with it.

Any help would be appreciated. ALSO, any places to look with good prices would be good too. I would like to order today/ tomorrow.

Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
The Twin Task is a nice light because besides the LED's it also has a bright incandescent bulb. So you can switch between low and high beams easily. Can't go wrong at that price.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that the Twin Task 3C is much brighter than the 2D. The LEDs and incan. bulb are both supposed to be brighter. You might want to look into Luxeon Star LED lights as well.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the Streamlight 3C 10 LED light is less than $40. If you want to spend a little more, the Lightwave 4000 (3 D batteries) can be found for around $45. Try eBay.

I tried out the Streamlight Twin-Task 2D and didn't like it. I found the 3C version (6 LEDs) to be much better.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might want to try this one or even it's bigger brother in the picture as well(although the 20led is a little more $) NOTE: in the picture, they have the labeling backwards, the 10 led is the shorter one and the 20 led is the 3D/longer one)

Click this shortened link

(Edit) Link shortened by The LED Museum so it doesn't screw up the thread width /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I second or third (whichever!) the Streamlight 3C Twin Task.

It doesn't have 10 LEDs, only 6. But don't let that fool you!

This reminds me to take another pic, comparing SL 3C 10 LED to 6 LEDs of the 3C TT.

My 3C TT rides in the door pocket of my truck. My 1L or 2L TTs ride on my belt!

As I mentioned in another thread, a mini review of 4 TTs goes up some time tomorrow.

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
LS == Luxeon Star

Welcome to the CPF, Firescooby.

LS is Candlepower Forums slang for "Luxeon Star," which is the brand name for a line of super-high power LED emitters from Lumileds.

Luxeon Stars are available in 1 watt and 5 watt versions - that's so high-power, flashlights based on them usually just use a single emitter (although there are a couple of exceptions). For example, Streamlight has recently introduced a (relatively) low-cost Luxeon Star light, the 3AA Task Light, which others have praised (I don't have one).

Other posters here have praised the Streamlight Twin-Task line in general - if you need an emergency glove-box light right away, I'd guess you won't go too far wrong with any of them.

RAH

Newly Enlightened
Re: LS == Luxeon Star

Just want to add something that I think is important to this brief introduction to LS leds - they are VERY variable, and they are also expensive. If you're lucky, you won't get one that has a disgusting yellowish-green color to it. This factor keeps many (including me) from considering buying one until their quality control improves.

I expect that people might jump in here and say that things are better, but I continue to read posts with people moaning about the awful color on their new luxeons, even the "latest-greatest" models from respected manufactirers. So, you pays your money and you takes your chance!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lagged2Death -

I like your post... very good information.

BTW, when you change the "Re:" in a thread it makes it a little more difficult to find it coming from the main index. I changed it back. I hope that's OK.

- Jeff

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
There is up to a 30% variance in flux on a single reel. This directly from the mouth of an engineering department head with a well-respected tactical flashlight company. And I have garnered similar results testing my own miserably miniscule number of Luxeon reels I managed to hoard.

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
BTW, when you change the "Re:" in a thread it makes it a little more difficult to find it coming from the main index. I changed it back. I hope that's OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. Didn't know it worked like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Entropy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
There is up to a 30% variance in flux on a single reel. This directly from the mouth of an engineering department head with a well-respected tactical flashlight company. And I have garnered similar results testing my own miserably miniscule number of Luxeon reels I managed to hoard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, since the eye's response is nonlinear, this variance isn't too visible.

People who want consistency from a Luxeon solution should buy from a modder who handpicks the LED. Of course, these are all out of the $40 price range, except for possibly some of dat2zip's sandwiches with a Q3L?

I would check out the Sandwich Shop section of this forum. dat2zip's BadBoy and MadMax drop-in modules for MiniMags (or Brinkmann Legend 2AA hosts) are VERY nice. I have a BB400 that was not ordered without special binning and it is definately not a "greenie". (I think "greenies" are becoming increasingly rare for Luxeon lights with the exception of "cheapo" mass-produced lights like the CMG Reactors, which are famous for packing a disproportionately high number of "greenie" Luxeons.)

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playboy Joe Shmoe , did you manage to snap a pic of the 3c 10led vs the 3c TT? I've got a 3c 10led coming the mail later this week - tell me it wasn't a mistake ordering it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Here ya go.

fb5afd14.jpg

I did see that the 10LED was whiter when I took the pic, but not brighter. Also it is much more of a flood of light rather than a beam.

Hope it helps!