want to do a p4 mod to my maglite 4d

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
wassup all, im new here and hope to get more into this, have been reading up on some mods and basically im looking for a mod that would boost the lumens while keeping a decent run time and i decided on the p4. Before i start are there any other better mods then the p4. and can anyone provide a good link on how to do the p4 mod or any mods that u think is better then the p4.

lastly im looking at ordering parts from litemania.org, anyone kno how long it takes to have them ship to the states because my friend ordered from them a about 2 1/2 weeks ago and nothing.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, snowcruizer713 :)

Litemania has always been VERY slow, and in fact at the moment he is not responding at all to any PMs, emails or even his own CS thread.

You might want to consider trying another source for parts.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
How far do you want to go? A simple mod would be to get a 4-cell MagLED module and just swap it in. Probably good for about 60 lumens. Same mod but swap in a P4 U-bin will give you around 100 lumens. Use an XP-G R5 instead of the U-bin and you get around 150 lumens.
If you want to use a heatsink then why use a P4? An XP-G R5 (or even the XP-E R3 if you want a throwier beam) would give you more output than even the U3 bin P4. If raw lumens is what you're after then a Luminus SST-50 or SST-90 would get you into the 1000+ range, possibly into 2000 lumens with the right driver, emitter, batteries, and proper heatsinking but these will have huge hotspots compared to an XP-E.

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
well i currently have the mag led drop in, and a terralux led drop in for my 6d, pretty much wat i was lookin to do was make my 4d brighter but have a decent running time and then make mod my 6d more for lumens so i wanted to do the rop mod.

as far as the heatsink, im just going by what other people are doing, i dont kno much about modding so im still trying to read up and learn. i did read about the r5, but didnt reeally seem to get a full grasp on what is better, so u think i should run

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
i already have a mag led drop in for my 4 and a terralux led drop in for my 6d. i wanna make my 4d brighter but have a decent run time because thats the one that will go in my car. the 6d i want to go more for lumens so i was looking at the rop mod. i dont know much about modding yet so im reading up on it, but as far as the heatsink goes, i was just following everyone elses mods.

so the R5 would be a better led to use for my mod. how is the runtime compared to the p4?

and where is a good place to buy the parts, i would rather buy everything from one place, but it doesnt really matter too much, whatever helps me get it done and so far unless i buy from a member britelumens seems to only have the heatsink. with the heatsink from the sandwich shopped would i have to use a like a pcb to the led doesnt have direct contact with the heatsink since they dont have the like pedestal in the middle.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my quick and dirty recipe for a Mag 4D LED build

1. Cree XPG R5 available from Cutter in Australia
2. Cree heatsink from member H22A (Britelumens does sell P7 heatsinks
but I am not sure whether they will allow the correct focus for the XPG)
3. AMC7135 driver board with multi-modes, either 3 x AMC7135 (output
1000mA) or 4 x AMC7135 (output 1400mA)
The higher the output, the brighter the emitter with produce but the lower
the runtime will be.
These boards are available from Shiningbeam
4. Optional extras, glass Ultra Clear Lens from Flashlightlens.com
metal OP reflector from Britelumens, smooths out the beam but
reduces the lumen count

Runtime will depend on what kind of batteries you intend to use with the
light

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
awesome sounds good

is it ok for me to run the regular alkaline batteries, thats all i want to do until i save up to by rechargeables or do you recommend any other batteries, ive also thot about the 12AA->4D but want a good running time

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AMC7135 board is good for 6V max
If your using 4 x D cell alkalines you should be ok up to 1000mA
I am not sure about 1400mA on alkaline batts

Hopefully somone more knowledgeable will chime in

Use this online runtime calcuator to give you an idea of your expected rutime

http://www.kenworster.com/ledcalc/

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
what about if i was to run 4 x 4000mah D batteries

also should i do a p7 or a ROP mod for my 6d, i mite start looking into doing both at the same time, or at least order everything together

Last edited:

irv_usc

Enlightened
for the 4D mag since you already have the MagLED module, the simplest mod would be to upgrade the emitter on the module to a SSC P4. that should give you great light with good runtime. also the circuitry on the LED module will dim the light over time if there is a heat issue.

for a 6D I would do an SST-90 on a heatsink (there are several choices). If you want switchable levels go with the taskled H6flex. It would underdrive the LED slightly and give you over 1000 lumens. if you want just one level of uber lumens, der witchel makes a single level 9A driver.

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
how much more light would that give me becuz i do have the terralux led drop in and want more power then that if possible i want 200 lumens but actual useable run time and like i said i will eventaully upgrade to 4000 mah D batteries in both my 4D and 6D

the swithable level sounds intriguing, so it would allow me to change the light output at a flip of the switch and also change the run time

snowcruizer713

Newly Enlightened
how is the output of the XRE R3 compared to the P4, and how many lumens can the R3 put out. Right now im pretty set on the R5 but if the R3 has a similar out put i mite go for the better throw

Latest posts