Is this upgrade for throw worth it?

bbb74

Enlightened
I have a LD20 R4 I use on my bicycle helmet for commuting. I really like the light, but I think something with more throw would be even better for helmet mounting (?).

I want to keep to 1xAA or 2xAA format only, and on the whole would prefer fenix or quarks.

So would a quark aa2 turbo give me enough extra throw over the ld20 to be really noticeable, or it will it just be a small improvement? They're pretty much the same lumen output. I don't want to spend the money on this if its not going to be a big enough improvement, especially as the aa2 turbo is getting pretty heavy for a helmet mount (unless converted to aa1 turbo, but then lux is going to suffer right?). I've been searching and not really had any luck finding lux values for the quark turbos (either aa2 or aa1).

I like the legoability of the quarks... If I start collecting quarks though what are the odds that the format/threads change so new bits aren't compatible with the old ones?

Should I just wait a couple of years until something 5 times better comes along and my old bike light dies? (And obviously in the meantime spend the money on a different type of torch instead like a tk40 for fun :) )

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LD20 R4 I use on my bicycle helmet for commuting. I really like the light, but I think something with more throw would be even better for helmet mounting (?).

I want to keep to 1xAA or 2xAA format only, and on the whole would prefer fenix or quarks.

So would a quark aa2 turbo give me enough extra throw over the ld20 to be really noticeable, or it will it just be a small improvement? They're pretty much the same lumen output. I don't want to spend the money on this if its not going to be a big enough improvement, especially as the aa2 turbo is getting pretty heavy for a helmet mount (unless converted to aa1 turbo, but then lux is going to suffer right?). I've been searching and not really had any luck finding lux values for the quark turbos (either aa2 or aa1).

I like the legoability of the quarks... If I start collecting quarks though what are the odds that the format/threads change so new bits aren't compatible with the old ones?

Should I just wait a couple of years until something 5 times better comes along and my old bike light dies? (And obviously in the meantime spend the money on a different type of torch instead like a tk40 for fun :) )

Why not indeed :oops: should be trying to help not make you spend.:devil:

Ronin28

Newly Enlightened
I have the LD20 Q5 and the Quark AA^2 Turbo and there is a significant difference in the amount of throw. The way the Quark Turbo's head is designed is a night and day difference from the LD20's head. The Turbo's head is built for throw...wide, deep, smooth reflector over the shallow, narrow, Orange Peel reflector. If you are in need of it because of your nightly commuting on your bike...get it. It'll be well worth the $$$ to avoid a serious accident you could have because you didn't have enough throw from the LD20 R4.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Or get the Maelstrom G5 or Malkoff Houndog is you really want throw. They are much more expensive and run on CR123 but they are a quantum leap over a Quark turbo

red02

Enlightened
Rec, didn't you say that your TK40 out threw your G5?

Sounds like the TK40 is the way for a monster throw upgrade. Especially considering that the TK40 still uses AAs...

bbb74

Enlightened
Ronin28 that was the kind of thing i wanted to hear. The LD20 Q5 is throwier than the LD20 R4 right, so if you're saying the Turbo AA is much better than the Q5 it sounds like I will see an even bigger difference over my R4.

Red02, I like the tk40 but it might be a little large for helmet mount ;) :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Rec, didn't you say that your TK40 out threw your G5?

Sounds like the TK40 is the way for a monster throw upgrade. Especially considering that the TK40 still uses AAs...

I thought it had to light enough to attach to a helmet? Otherwise by all means the TK40 or TK45.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA Turbo is 155 grams with batteries. TK40 is 505 grams with batteries.

TK40 on high kills the Quark Turbo on Max, and then you've got Turbo on the TK40 to go.