200 lumens single AA EDC in sight

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching zebralights new 200lumen single AA upgrade on the H501 quite closely, as the efficiency looks to be incredible for a low voltage light. The AA version puts out 200 OTF lumens for 0.9 hours, and the CR123 version on 20 lumens more for the same amount of time. These readings are officially taken from a 2000mah eneloop cell making them even more impressive.

I just recieved a reply from zebralight that they would very soon be releasing an 'SC51' to complement this new 'H51', which will implement the same xp-g and circuit efficiency as the H51. So it finally appears that a single AA pocket light will be able to break the 200 lumen barrier, and for almost an hour of runtime as well, very impressive! :popcorn:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So it finally appears that a single AA pocket light will be able to break the 200 lumen barrier, and for almost an hour of runtime as well, very impressive!

The Jetbeam Mk IBS I bought in 2008 manages 225 lumens in the 1xAA format, a figure that's only relevant for short periods of time since there's no way a 1xAA body can dissipate that much heat. The IBS interface lets you set your own modes, so you can create a high mode that's a reasonable balance between heat and output - I hope the new Zebra has a ~100 lumen medium mode so you can use it like a regular Zebralight..

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but can it reach 225 lumens with a 1.2/1.5v AA cell or is that just with a 3.7v 14500 cell, which can reach those outputs in many lights? I would be very surprised if it was the former. What impresses me so much is its performance on a basic safe chemistry AA Ni-mh cell.

I believe it does offer a 100 lumen secondary high mode which you access with a double click from the 200 lumen high mode, and that will run for 2.1 hours. An efficiency even better than the Quark Mini AA, which is one of the best on the market efficiency wise at the moment. :thumbsup:

Burgess

Flashaholic
These are indeed Great times to be a Flashaholic !

:thumbsup:
_

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeam Mk IBS I bought in 2008 manages 225 lumens in the 1xAA format, a figure that's only relevant for short periods of time since there's no way a 1xAA body can dissipate that much heat. The IBS interface lets you set your own modes, so you can create a high mode that's a reasonable balance between heat and output - I hope the new Zebra has a ~100 lumen medium mode so you can use it like a regular Zebralight..

Your Jetbeam gets the 225 lumens on 3.7v 14500 lithium bats, many lights do this.

Doing so on AA enloops is a first I believe. I'll probably get a few SC51s if they come out with a neutral version.

Though i wonder what a Cree XM led would be like in one of these.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
^^^ This

My ZL501 gets hot, really hot at 80lm. I wonder how long that 200lm mark can be held before heat starts mucking up the LED. They would have to make a massive heatsink...

Toaster

Enlightened
200 lumens OTF for almost an hour from a single Eneloop is damn impressive. I hope the warm versions aren't too far behind. I really would like a SC51w :popcorn:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ This

My ZL501 gets hot, really hot at 80lm. I wonder how long that 200lm mark can be held before heat starts mucking up the LED. They would have to make a massive heatsink...

I know what you mean about the 501 heat if I leave mine on for like 6-7mins it gets hot enough to make my forehead sweat.

I got a H51 yesterday and have done several test at 10mins at a time and surprisingly it does not get that hot at all on max and on the 100lm setting it does not really even get warm. I have found out through trial with different light's doing a ceiling bounce that the H51 looks almost identical to my older PD30 Q5 which is around 200 OTF. I guess the body and fins are doing it's job because at 10mins it just warm and there is little to no output lose compared to the cooled down PD30 Q5. I would like to see how the H51 would do in BigC's sphere of truth but it looks promising so far.

I'm sure the H51 is going to be a popular headlamp but if in fact ZL release's the SC51 that is going to be very popular at these outputs. I honestly did not believe the little H51 would do 200 but was proven wrong up against the PD30 Q5, even more surprised heat does not seem to hinder it's performance.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I ordered from ZL and they just stuck a postage sticker on the flashlight box which is about 4.5"x4.5" so maybe she won't see it. :)

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Check the lumapower Trust series on the marketplace. 1xAA r5 light that can support any type of battery from alka to li-ion making 350 emitter lumens. Probably 300-250 otf.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the lumapower Trust series on the marketplace. 1xAA r5 light that can support any type of battery from alka to li-ion making 350 emitter lumens. Probably 300-250 otf.
Full output requires a lithium-on cell. See the intro thread.

The Malkoff M31 is the only emitter I know of that can deliver 200 out-the-front lumens on a single 1.6V AA cell (nickel-zinc).

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean about the 501 heat if I leave mine on for like 6-7mins it gets hot enough to make my forehead sweat.

I got a H51 yesterday and have done several test at 10mins at a time and surprisingly it does not get that hot at all on max and on the 100lm setting it does not really even get warm. I have found out through trial with different light's doing a ceiling bounce that the H51 looks almost identical to my older PD30 Q5 which is around 200 OTF. I guess the body and fins are doing it's job because at 10mins it just warm and there is little to no output lose compared to the cooled down PD30 Q5. I would like to see how the H51 would do in BigC's sphere of truth but it looks promising so far.

I'm sure the H51 is going to be a popular headlamp but if in fact ZL release's the SC51 that is going to be very popular at these outputs. I honestly did not believe the little H51 would do 200 but was proven wrong up against the PD30 Q5, even more surprised heat does not seem to hinder it's performance.

Thanks for your input. Zebralight stated that they made the H51 a little longer/bigger than the H501 to deal with the heat. Your observations indicate the new design works as intended.

I am in for a H51F and SC51.