How to eliminate hotspot?

ShayM

Newly Enlightened
If you were to make your own light or mod an existing one, how would you eliminate the hotspot so the beam is (more or less) perfectly even? I know there are existing lights you can buy that are designed this way, but how would you do it yourself?

romteb

Enlightened
This guy got a very nice diffused beam buy applying some pda screen protector to the lens of his flashlight. (fenix HP-10)

Video

If one were to make a flashlight with a diffuse beam he would have a choice of reflectors or tir optics that fit the bill.

Edit:

Forgot to had that the simplest way is to get rid of the reflector alltogether, i moded one of my Akorays this way and the beam is pure flood.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called a diffuser. I use a bottle cap on my Ra Clicky, and matte scotch tape on my LD20.

The F04 diffuser (from Surefire) is a very effective solution, but may not fit all lights.

They also make light diffusing film, which you could apply to your light's lens.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
And don't forget the possibility of getting a new front glass from flashlightlensdotcom. You can get them crystal clear or with a diffusion film on the inside and there's also the Acrylite (Acrylic plastic with diffusion) that has a subtle, yet effective diffusion effect. Cost seems reasonable and I'll be looking at them if I find my HDS 170 is tighter than I would like.... when I get it. <sigh>

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "Sometimes fuzzy can be a good thing" Zero