Stock mag reflector?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Quick question... how much heat can it take? Another member gave me a stipple modded reflector (blue plastic) and to my surprise its got a wonderful beam pattern with a 3853-L bulb. I only use it for short bursts, under a minute or so. How close am I pushing it?

thanks
:twothumbs

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question... how much heat can it take? Another member gave me a stipple modded reflector (blue plastic) and to my surprise its got a wonderful beam pattern with a 3853-L bulb. I only use it for short bursts, under a minute or so. How close am I pushing it?

thanks
:twothumbs

I think that even 1 minute could be pushing the high bulb, but the low bulb should be OK for up to 1 minute. Maybe you could get away with a couple of minutes, but if you try it and melt the reflector a bit then don't blame me!

You should really consider getting an aluminium reflector if you want to use your Mag more - fivemega makes the best ones. I like the beam from my 2" deep reflectors and also from my bi-focal reflectors - much nicer than the standard beam. They can easily handle 10+ minutes from my 3854-H bulb.

swampgator

Enlightened
I've ran a 3854 Low for about 3 minutes with no outward appearences of damage to the stock reflector. I haven't pulled it out to see if there's any warping though.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the beam from my 2" deep reflectors and also from my bi-focal reflectors - much nicer than the standard beam. They can easily handle 10+ minutes from my 3854-H bulb.
me too, deep reflectors rules. i ran it with 1185 for about 30min cont. no issues