Swiss Solar Light II Recall?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I bought a Swiss Solar Light II about a month and a half ago from Countycomm. I read here on CPF that there is a software problem with these; something about a combination of circumstances that can occur after which it is not possible to turn the light on. I've e-mailed Countycomm asking them about the problem, but I never received a reply.

So, is there in fact a fatal defect with these lights? If there is should I return it to Countycomm for a replacement or refund? Or should I contact the manufacturer in Switzerland instead?

Bruise

Darell

Flashaholic
I've heard something vague on this myself. Is there anything offical being done? I own two of them, and the one I use has done a couple of weird things a few times. It always work eventually, but not always on the first time. I still really like the lights - but if it is gonna leave me in the dark one of these days, I'd sure like to have it replaced!

BruiseLee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
arab said:
There was no need to start a new thread; the detail you need is all covered in this (current) thread: Solar powered Swiss Light II???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to disagree with you on this one Arab. The problems with the light are discussed, true. But, nothing definitive is said about a factory recall. There definitely aren't any official instructions as to what to do to rectify the problem: return light to manufacturer, return light to retailer, etc. In fact, I don't believe it's ever stated that 100% positively for sure there is a problem with these lights.

Darrel, would you agree with me here? I've read that thread carefully several times, so I'm pretty confident I am right here.

I still want to know what's up with these light, and the above points are not covered in the thread Arab refers to. That thread is essentially dead, nothing new posted on it for some time.

So, if anybody has any info to share, please post!

Bruise

Darell

Flashaholic
Sunspot did have this to say:

[ QUOTE ]
just incase everyone hasn't heard the swiss 2 solar lights have been recalled they had a glitch that the company didn't catch till after the first lot shipped so if you have purchased one return it to where you bought it. the company spokeman I talked to said it might take 4 weeks to get the new ones out to distributers

[/ QUOTE ]
in that linked thread. But I certainly see no problem starting a new thread on this more specific subject. The point of that original thread was to discuss purchasing the light, and actually went off topic to this subject.

Thanks for the pointer though, Arab. That is still the thread with the most info, but this new thread and subject might catch some more eyes to get some more info.

Anyway, I can't even remember who I bought mine from now, so returning it to my dealer is a bit of a bugger.

83Venture

Enlightened
Same as BruiseLee. Bought mine from Countycomm and have sent three E-Mails over the last six weeks asking for information, no reply.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
Me, also. Bought from Countycomm and have received no response to my email regarding problems, recalls, etc. I can understand that he may not have information to give yet, but to not respond at all is very poor, IMHO............

paulr

Flashaholic
Countycomm has often been bad about answering email. I think they're not all that computer savvy. Their phone number is on their home page, I suggest giving them a call.

Streak

Enlightened
I have been in touch with the developer.
The official line is that they recognise that there is a problem with some units.
They are waiting for components from their microcontroller manufacturer after which they will manufacture replacement units that will not fail in the same way. These will be supplied to their dealers who have been instructed to replace defective units with the new one.
There is no general recall.
They give a time frame of end of next month.

The first I ever heard of a recall was here on CPF. I have contacted the manufacturer and they are denying that they are performing a recall. We are currently out of stock of the Swiss LightIIs and will not be ordering any more. We are not ordering any more because we are waiting for the Swiss LightIII. IF YOUR SWISS LIGHTII FAILS SEND IT BACK. We will replace it with a Swiss LightIII when they come in.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
[email protected] said:
The first I ever heard of a recall was here on CPF. I have contacted the manufacturer and they are denying that they are performing a recall. We are currently out of stock of the Swiss LightIIs and will not be ordering any more. We are not ordering any more because we are waiting for the Swiss LightIII. IF YOUR SWISS LIGHTII FAILS SEND IT BACK. We will replace it with a Swiss LightIII when they come in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for this information, which I can understand and appreciate. May I ask why this could not have been given to me as a customer in response to my inquiry to you? Also, as I understand it the failure occurs if the light exhausts its battery and it is then not able to "reboot" correctly. Do you suggest that we proceed to exhaust the battery to see if our units will fail, so that we can detemine if they are defective?

Thank you.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DougNel said:
[ QUOTE ]
[email protected] said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for this information, which I can understand and appreciate. May I ask why this could not have been given to me as a customer in response to my inquiry to you? Also, as I understand it the failure occurs if the light exhausts its battery and it is then not able to "reboot" correctly. Do you suggest that we proceed to exhaust the battery to see if our units will fail, so that we can detemine if they are defective?

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad my posting has finally lead to some useful information. First of all, I would like to thank Frank for responding to our inquiries. But, DougNel is absolutely right. Quite a few of us repeatedly emailed CountyComm directly and none of us ever received a response. Why is that?

I guess I'll do what DougNel suggested and led my Solar Swiss Light II run completely out of juice, and then see if it can recharge itself properly.

Besides a software upgrade, anybody have any info on how the Swiss Solar light III will be different?

Bruise

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this is regarding the "Skylight Solar" light, not the "Swisslight" (the Skylight doesn't have the dim modes, but has the rest). I received this after I inquired about the one I sent back:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Doug,

yes, we got it. You will get new Light's, when they are ready. The
Software
repair takes more time than we did expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

So apparently there is a software issue, at least with the Skylight, if not the Swisslight.

Darell

Flashaholic
My latest experience:

I drained one in real usage, and could never get it to come back on. So, I the proceeded to drain my other one on purpose (just leave them PV-side down and turn them on ever time you walk by it). There went the second one. So I've got two of them dead here.

Frank - I remember now that I purchased these from you when I bought some for an over-seas friend. If you're still listening, what's the plan? Do we just send them into you now, and hope for a new unit eventually? Thanks.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I drained one in real usage, and could never get it to come back on. So, I the proceeded to drain my other one on purpose (just leave them PV-side down and turn them on ever time you walk by it). There went the second one. So I've got two of them dead here.

If you're still listening, what's the plan? Do we just send them into you now, and hope for a new unit eventually? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I drained my Swiss Solar Light II completely, and had the same problem. Doesn't seem to want to either recharge or turn on. Which is a darn shame, because other than that it's been a very cool light. It's last duty before it died was to help me set up my telescope and tripod to check out Mars.

Countycomm, should we send 'em in now, wait for the Swiss Solar Light III's to come out, or do something else?

Sincerely,

Bruise

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I was told in an email from Countycomm to send it in for replacement. I have not heard that any of the units have been replaced yet. I am waiting to hear the replacements are out before I send mine in. I still use mine and never let it run out. The problem I've read about was if it ran out in find me mode it could not come back on. I am looking forward to the replacement light, hopefully sooner than later...

Darell

Flashaholic

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a II as well. Mine took a dump last night. The unfortunate part is, I bought mine in B/S/T, and I can't send it back. Does someone have an email address to the manufacturer?

Why is the manufacturer clandestine?

arab

Enlightened
My own Freelight replacement - it's actually the SKYLIGHT model with less functionality - worked fine since I received it in October 2003. However, over the Christmas holiday it decided to call it a day. The battery was rather low at the time - incidentally I noticed the mark II model suddenly cuts the power when the battery is low with no warning - so I stuck it in a window for a few days expecting this to recharge it as it had done before.

It didn't work! I tried (obviously!) the press through or second click on the button to reset the light but to no effect. I emailed the manufacturers this morning and I'll post the update here when I get it.

Shankus - I don't understand the clandestine comment; if you go to their website - http://www.avexa.ch./ - you will see their contact details are as follows:

Avexa AG
Obere Revierstrasse 3
CH 9630 Wattwil
Switzerland

Telefon 071 988 41 22 / 071 988 41 86
Fax 071 988 41 24
E-Mail [email protected]

If your question is why don't they have a more visible presence, it's because they prefer to deal only with dealers rather than directly with the public.