Newb here! Help on choosing a budget LED flashlight.

kamayok3

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am a newbie in flashlight. So, recently I've done a lot of research regarding LED flashlight that can use AA battery.

These are my top list of budgetary AA LED tactical flashlight:

1. Eagletac P20A2 MKII
2. Fenix LD20 R4
3. 4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical R5 edition
4. your suggestion.............???:poke:

So, I hope experts here can guide me more.

Regards,

Tommy

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Tommy. I think you'll find any of those choices good, though I don't have any of these. All are good reliable brands. And, dealing with 4Sevens has always been trouble free. Don't forget the CPF8 discount code.

Geoff

joe1512

Enlightened
Those are good choices, but I think you are parrotting what you have read.

So, let me ask: What are YOU looking for in a flashlight. If you are like me, you probably don't know. So heres my thoughts:

1) You ideally want an XP-G emitter as this gives you maximum brightness. XP-E is decent too but not as bright. This is always labeled on the flashlight so is easy to determine.

2) You probably want multimode for different levels of brightness. Some like 1 mode, but most like the multiple ones. Especially for a small light which will get too hot on a really high mode.

3) Look at battery support. You will be using a rechargable NiMH most likely, or an ultimate lithium if you go non-rechargable. DO NOT use alkaline as their life is short and they might leak.
See if the light supports 14500s which is a special lithium ion rechargable. It runs at much higher voltage and boosts the brightness considerably! Having this as an option for the future is nice.

4) Consider a keychain light. Is this an occasional use light? If so, a small light that is barely bigger than the battery is a good idea. The AAA using itp A3 is a nice choice at only 2.5 inches long and very slender. I now use a keychain light and it is really really nice! A 1xAA light is already pretty small. I figure if you want one that small, you might consider a keychain one that is even smaller.

5) Consider an CR123 light. You will need to buy batteries online but can get em for 1 dollar each. They run at 3 volts (vs 1.5 alkaline) and are shorter but fatter. They last longer and such lights are much brighter than typical 1xAA lights.

6) Battery: I recommend an eneloop for AA or AAA and charger. They are the most popular NiMH around here and are very reliable.

7) Do you want 'throw' or flood? Throw is nice to see further, but it is much less useful for working on stuff or walking even because the very intense hotspot provides too much contrast. A floodier light with a smaller reflector and no smooth reflector will light up an area better and be more visually comfortable. Of course you wont be able to see hundreds of feet off with it either, if that would be useful.

8) Check out the Sticky and look at the AA comparison link where you can see many different lights and maybe help you find what you like and dislike.

Good luck!

kamayok3

Newly Enlightened
Those are good choices, but I think you are parrotting what you have read.

So, let me ask: What are YOU looking for in a flashlight. If you are like me, you probably don't know. So heres my thoughts:

1) You ideally want an XP-G emitter as this gives you maximum brightness. XP-E is decent too but not as bright. This is always labeled on the flashlight so is easy to determine.

2) You probably want multimode for different levels of brightness. Some like 1 mode, but most like the multiple ones. Especially for a small light which will get too hot on a really high mode.

3) Look at battery support. You will be using a rechargable NiMH most likely, or an ultimate lithium if you go non-rechargable. DO NOT use alkaline as their life is short and they might leak.
See if the light supports 14500s which is a special lithium ion rechargable. It runs at much higher voltage and boosts the brightness considerably! Having this as an option for the future is nice.

4) Consider a keychain light. Is this an occasional use light? If so, a small light that is barely bigger than the battery is a good idea. The AAA using itp A3 is a nice choice at only 2.5 inches long and very slender. I now use a keychain light and it is really really nice! A 1xAA light is already pretty small. I figure if you want one that small, you might consider a keychain one that is even smaller.

5) Consider an CR123 light. You will need to buy batteries online but can get em for 1 dollar each. They run at 3 volts (vs 1.5 alkaline) and are shorter but fatter. They last longer and such lights are much brighter than typical 1xAA lights.

6) Battery: I recommend an eneloop for AA or AAA and charger. They are the most popular NiMH around here and are very reliable.

7) Do you want 'throw' or flood? Throw is nice to see further, but it is much less useful for working on stuff or walking even because the very intense hotspot provides too much contrast. A floodier light with a smaller reflector and no smooth reflector will light up an area better and be more visually comfortable. Of course you wont be able to see hundreds of feet off with it either, if that would be useful.

8) Check out the Sticky and look at the AA comparison link where you can see many different lights and maybe help you find what you like and dislike.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great tips. After done with further research, my choices slightly more to CR123A type of tactical flashlight. For an example:

1. Nitecore Extreme
2. Few models from Eagletac
3. Fenix PD30?

What I prefer if flood and focused beam are even. Multimode is a must.

Since I am not a flashlight collector, so, I wish to spend the money wisely on one that can make me comfortable with and for long time usage as well.

Regards,

Tommy

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
dont listen to what people say about 123A batteries, for a newb or casual flashlight user, AAs are much better, specifically eneloops and a spare pack of Lithiums for emergencies. I would recommend the Fenix LD10, LD15, or LD20 R4, or Quark AA or AA2, with a set of 4 or 8 Sanyo Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid batteries w/ charger, and a set of 8 or more Lithiums for emergencies. Lithium batteries in AA size are about as efficent as 123A, but cost a little more. The advantage is you can use rechargable NiMH or NiOX batteries, which are cheap, effective, and last quite a long time. The best cost under $10 a pair and chargers are under $25. with value like this, you can rely on these batteries for years before youll need another set, and you can always use Alkalines if you run out of all other options.
Some things to keep in mind:
* Brighter isnt always better. I have a 45 lumen light with regulated output. It easily compares to a Mag 3D incandescent, and doesn't yellow as the batteries weaken. For a everyday light, 60 lumens or more is fine. Durability and price and runtime are more important.
* For small lights, its usually best to get more flood then throw, as throw is really only super useful with lots of lumens to back it up. All lights I recommend have a good balance.
* Remember to consider prices of batteries and shipping. Lithium 123As cost $1-2 each whereas NiMH rechargables are $5-10 and are rechargable over and over again, unlike lithiums. Lithium AAs are around $4 a pair in electronics stores, compared to $10 a pair for 123As. Online, both are cheaper, 123As about $2 each or less, Lithium AAs $1.75 each or less.
Alkaline AAs are of course very cheap, but runtime is less than half that of lithiums and considerably less than NiMH. Nevertheless, a good last resort option to have, and if you plan on traveling, alkaline AAs are the battery you can find pretty much anywhere, and cheap to boot, unlike any other type.
If you want a real durable light, that you can take anywhere, and price is no concern, consider the Surefire E2L-AA. Otherwise, the best value and durability lies in 2xaa lights like the Quark AA2 R5, Fenix LD20 R4, and Eagletac P20A2 Mark II. 1XAA lights are also acceptable, and the best in that class are the Fenix LD15, LD10 R4, and Quark Mini AA for just $39.99. The NiteCore D11 is also coming out soon and looks to be decent.
Its a great time to be a light addict, and one light can do all your needs now if it must. Welcome! :wave:

jv01

Newly Enlightened
dont listen to what people say about 123A batteries, for a newb or casual flashlight user, AAs are much better, specifically eneloops and a spare pack of Lithiums for emergencies. I would recommend the Fenix LD10, LD15, or LD20 R4, or Quark AA or AA2, with a set of 4 or 8 Sanyo Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid batteries w/ charger, and a set of 8 or more Lithiums for emergencies. Lithium batteries in AA size are about as efficent as 123A, but cost a little more. The advantage is you can use rechargable NiMH or NiOX batteries, which are cheap, effective, and last quite a long time. The best cost under $10 a pair and chargers are under $25. with value like this, you can rely on these batteries for years before youll need another set, and you can always use Alkalines if you run out of all other options.
Some things to keep in mind:
* Brighter isnt always better. I have a 45 lumen light with regulated output. It easily compares to a Mag 3D incandescent, and doesn't yellow as the batteries weaken. For a everyday light, 60 lumens or more is fine. Durability and price and runtime are more important.
* For small lights, its usually best to get more flood then throw, as throw is really only super useful with lots of lumens to back it up. All lights I recommend have a good balance.
* Remember to consider prices of batteries and shipping. Lithium 123As cost $1-2 each whereas NiMH rechargables are $5-10 and are rechargable over and over again, unlike lithiums. Lithium AAs are around $4 a pair in electronics stores, compared to $10 a pair for 123As. Online, both are cheaper, 123As about $2 each or less, Lithium AAs $1.75 each or less.
Alkaline AAs are of course very cheap, but runtime is less than half that of lithiums and considerably less than NiMH. Nevertheless, a good last resort option to have, and if you plan on traveling, alkaline AAs are the battery you can find pretty much anywhere, and cheap to boot, unlike any other type.
If you want a real durable light, that you can take anywhere, and price is no concern, consider the Surefire E2L-AA. Otherwise, the best value and durability lies in 2xaa lights like the Quark AA2 R5, Fenix LD20 R4, and Eagletac P20A2 Mark II. 1XAA lights are also acceptable, and the best in that class are the Fenix LD15, LD10 R4, and Quark Mini AA for just $39.99. The NiteCore D11 is also coming out soon and looks to be decent.
Its a great time to be a light addict, and one light can do all your needs now if it must. Welcome! :wave:

wow good post that took a couple minutes to write

entoptics

Enlightened
I too would strongly recommend sticking with AA batteries unless you absolutely must have a short, powerful, light. CR123 is an excellent "emergency" power source, but as mentioned above, AA lithium primaries are nearly as good. The brightness advantage of a 2xCR123 light over a 2xAA light is not nearly as great as it is in the single cell lights, and the biggest difference is overall length.

The three lights you mentioned above are pretty much the cream of the crop in the $50-$70 range, and all will serve you well.

Key differences.

1) EagleTac - Brightest. The most throw. Twisty mode switching may require two hands. Strike bezel for self defense or glass breaking. No tail standing unless you purchase a separate tail cap. Chincy pocket clip. Very Tough. Longest and heaviest.

2) Fenix - Potentially loses low mode using Li primary batteries. Very efficient. Medium flood/throw mixture. "Complicated" UI (easy to get used too). Very Tough.

3) Quark AA2 (Tactical) - Shortest and lightest. Very floody beam. Only two modes once programmed. Very dim low mode (superb feature, but less critical with tactical UI since you are limited to two modes). Easy to upgrade/change later (most parts are interchangeable with other quark lights, and parts are reasonably priced). Good pocket clip (not good for deep carry though). Reasonably tough.

My personal preferences are as follows.

If you don't like the multi mode quark regular (same as tactical except UI), then I'd lean towards the EagleTac. The main advantage the Quark series has over the EagleTac is the multiple modes (and low-low mode). The tactical UI gives up this advantage and more, since it limits you to 2 modes. You either give up medium or give up low-low.

The Fenix has no advantage over the Quark series, except possibly durability, and the Fenix low mode is not low enough for my taste. Only choose the Fenix if you need less flood and more throw than the Quarks, in which case (again based on your Tactical UI preference) I'd lean towards the EagleTac anyway.

In summary. If you really don't want the mode versatility that the Fenix and Quark Regulars offer (i.e. you chose the Tactical UI over the Regular UI), then I'd go with the EagleTac unless you want a floody beam for close up work, in which case, the Quark can't be beat.

Click here for a side by side beam shot time lapse video showing the run times and beam characteristics of the Quark AA2 and EagleTac P20A2 MKII (and iTP A6 Polestar and NiteCore D10). Watch in HD/full screen and pause for details. Be sure to look at the center hotspot and walls/ceiling/floor to see the stark contrast between the floody Quark beam and the throwy EagleTac beam.

Last edited:

kamayok3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all. Fenix...Eagletac...Quark.... all the big name are here already. But how about nitecore? Any recommendation?

Regards,

Tommy

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was contemplating a 2 AA light for EDC use a while back, it came down to two of the ones you listed in your first post, the Fenix LD20 and the Quark AA^2. Note that they both were using XR-E LEDs when I was making my choice.

I initially was also looking at the Eagletac P20A2 but I immediately ruled it out because it was too large and heavy compared to the Fenix and Quark. I went with the LD20 because it was more comfortable in a cigar hold in my small hands and because it had a better anti-roll feature than the AA^2.

kamayok3

Newly Enlightened
Okay, since AA is the good choice for newbie. So, let me revise my list for final decision.

1. Eagletac P20A2 MKII
2. Fenix LD20 R4
3. 4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical R5 edition
4. Nitecore D20
5. Jetbeam JET-I PRO EX V3.0
6. Nitecore
7. JetBeam RRT-0 with AA Extender

:oops: I know this maybe too much. But choosing a best build and good performer is my main purpose. I quite like the UI of Nitecore. But this doesn't mean that I will get it. I need a fair choice between all these lights.

Let me describe my purposes of having a high lumens flashlight. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. For safety. Let said I can use the flashlight as a defense tools by shining on enemy or animals eyes.
2. For light up my tracks. When hiking at night or looking for something that missing.
3. Possible a lower light as candle for camping and astronomy.
4. A good throw sometimes will be good as well. I know this is too much. :naughty:

Besides of 4sevens.com, any other seller that can provide possible free shipping to Malaysia? I know ebay a lot.

So, hope your comments will become my decision maker.

Regards,

Tommy lovecpf

joe1512

Enlightened
Remember what I said about the 14500s IF you go with a 1xAA light. If supported, a 1xAA light can become very bright by popping in a 14500 rechargable battery instead of a normal NiMH rechargable battery. If you decide later on that you want more brightness, you will at least have the option of buying a protected 14500 battery +charger, as long as you make sure the light you want is capable of running it.

They are right that if you are going with a 2xAA light, then you don't need CR123s or special 14500 batteries. 2xAA provides enough voltage to drive any of the latest emitters at 1amp on high which provides a decent amount of light (200 lumens).

Make sure to get a light that uses the latest XP-G emitter. Dont accidently get an outdated model.
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main...id=375&zenid=cbac28d6235faa2f3ef89aef756c2296

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing at all wrong with using 123 cells and many members do prefer them.I myself favour AA and AAA but my next purchase is the Fenix PD20 R running on 123 cell.A planned basic edc bag will always have the correct batteries I need.My son is in Mexico on his honeymoon and he has a loaner from me running on 123 plus I bundled him a couple of spares.

The advantage with 123 really comes if you want a bright small light and there are many decent ones out there.

Please do not be put off by 123 cells and careful buying they cost no more than a decent AA.

kamayok3

Newly Enlightened
Then I should consider the Jetbeam RRT-0 R5 that can take AA and CR123A?

Regards,

Tommy