CMG Reactor (and 3AA) owners, please sign in!

Spango

Newly Enlightened
Hi! Would like to know how many fellow member uses the Reactor and what do you think of your Reactor? I own a Reactor 3AA and I simply love mine, although the switching mechanism has let me down (mine is on its way back to CMG). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

This may not be the brightest light around, but I find it to be bright enough for everyday use. Has anyone tried using the rechargeable AAs for this light? Does it work? Is it bright enough? Is the runtime good? I intend to purchase a pack of 4 AA rechargeable batteries - 3 for my Reactor and 1 for my Infinity Ultra (another great light, IMHO). Maybe its just me, but I grew to like its unique shape & size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A check in the forum shows that not many members are using the Reactor, is that correct? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hopefully, they manage to solve the flickering/contact problem and I get my light back soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im looking at the reactor 3 how bright is it by the way compared to ya ultra?

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
im looking at the reactor 3 how bright is it by the way compared to ya ultra?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Reactor 3 definitely puts my Ultra to shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is much brighter and it out throws the Ultra, but as I understand, they are designed for different tasks / purposes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Streak

Enlightened
I have the Reactor 2AA, 3AA, Infinity,infinity Ultra, Sonic and a few others.

The Reactors are not too good on rechargeables, particularly the 2AA which is already not too bright on 3 volts. These units have resistors in them to limit current at 4.5v in the case of the 3AA, if you now use only 3.6v (NiMh or NiCd) there really is not enough current getting to the LS to make it shine brightly.

tech

Newly Enlightened
I like my 3AA, I just wish it was as long as the 2AA model for carrying!
Good flood and good throw for walking the dog at night when I need to see something...or just need an excuse to turn my light on...
Anyway, I run my 3AA with a 2AA tailcap...but haven't had the time to take any before and after pictures to see how much brighter/whiter it is. I also don't know what this does to LED life.

In the end, great light for the price. I would be curious to see how it compares to the new Lux lights from Streamlight.

T.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
I like my 3AA, I just wish it was as long as the 2AA model for carrying!
Good flood and good throw for walking the dog at night when I need to see something...or just need an excuse to turn my light on...
Anyway, I run my 3AA with a 2AA tailcap...but haven't had the time to take any before and after pictures to see how much brighter/whiter it is. I also don't know what this does to LED life.

In the end, great light for the price. I would be curious to see how it compares to the new Lux lights from Streamlight.

T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I feel that the length of the Reactor 3AA is just nice. I feel that the Reactor's body is a bit too short, as the head of the Reactor is rather long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It looks a bit out of proportion. Yup, the Reactor has good flood and good throw, and I always find some excuses to turn my light on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Does your dog gets annoyed when you try to shine the light at it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif BTW, are you experiencing the light flickering problem?

According to the reviews, the new Lux lights from Streamlight are much brighter than the CMG Reactor series right?

ramptapult

Newly Enlightened
I have both, the 2AA and 3AA, and I am extremely dissappointed in both these lights due to the notorious pea green luxeon coloring. Ive tried the reactor w/ lithiums and noticed a brighter beam, but the improvement didnt justify the cost in everyday use. Due to the beams difficiencies I do not EDC them very often. I did have the reactor turn on in my backpack one day accidently, but fortunately I had lithiums in there and some usable light left for the night. (fortunately I had a few backups) I do have some infinity's, ultra's and a bonfire that i am very happy with. Just my two cents scott

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a couple of Reactor IIs and a Reactor III.
One of my IIs has that characteristic "rotten dog urine green" color to its beam; a second II and the III both have that slightly bluish white color to their beams, which is quite acceptable IMO.

I don't EDC them, but being a flashlight tester, I don't EDC the same thing from week to week. Comes with the job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened
My 2AA reactor had the mediocre green beam. It was pathetic on alkalines and little better on lithiums but I'm a NiMH kind of guy.

One day I was charging some NiMH 1/2 AA's that I use to convert my PT20 into a mini PT40. Then an idea hit me. I tried 2x1/2 AA with a regular NiMH AA in the reactor.

Butta bing, butta boom. What a difference!! The beam was much brighter and the green was almost gone. I know I'm overdriving the Luxeon and cutting its young life short, but I don't care; I use this light maybe 2hrs/month.

My next move is to order three 2/3 AA's from Batterystation to improve the run time.

Spango

Newly Enlightened
What lanyard are you people using for the Reactor? I am thinking of using those for hanging handphones around the neck, but I am worried that the thin string at the tail part may snap easily (afterall, a handphone is much lighter than the Reactor......

Is the lanyard that comes with the Ultra Infinity available separately? That one looks sturdy enough to take the Reactor's weight, and hopefully it isn't strong enough to choke me should the light gets caught in something unpleasant... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Kristofg

Enlightened
I'm using a reactor 3 as everyday flashlight and I must admit I'm quite happy with it. The color is a bit more to the yellow side than normal LED's, kind of in the way incandescent bulbs are, but still quite good. It keeps up quite well with a 10 Nichia LED flashlight. But the biggest difference is that the beam throw is a lot further with the Reactor.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I gave away my Reactor 3A's. They were initially impressively bright but quickly lost their brilliance and in a side by side run test with the original Reactor they lost their advantage after a few hours.

I would use the Reactor or Mag/Inretech (both with lithiums) as long run backup lights. My primary small LED lights are LSH-P/lithiums:5 hrs of bright regulated light (plus hours of dim light), or 3x123/UBH/KL1 for 6+ hrs regulated. The L4 is my supplemental light. Some day small 5watters will be long run, though 3watters will soon make their appearance. Efficiencies of 50-60L/w will someday be commonplace.

Brightnorm

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a regular Reactor. It has the greenish tint. Though I don't use it everyday I do kinda like it and kept mine rather than selling or trading it off. I keep it around for a rainy day. I think it works great in candle mode and would use it for camping or blackout situations. It was sitting in the glove box of my car for several months, but I brought it inside for some comparisons to other lights and have it inside right now. Thinking of putting it in the wife's car so she will have a decent runtime light to supplament the others I make her carry [actually she doesn't complain, she sees the need for preparation, but still thinks I/we are all kinda "nerdy"].
I like my Reactor, and if need be would carry it or use it. It is one of my first line back ups.

tech

Newly Enlightened
While my 3AA has a greenish tinge to it, I only notice it when looking at my white mini-van, white walls, or comparing it to my LSH.

Other than that the tinge doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, I think (especially after reading some posts around here) that the greenish tinge can help "preserve" night vision when romping through the woods or around the streets at night.
Maybe not all greens are alike in this regard, comparing a 3AA to a LED that is supposed to be green.

The head makes an annoying snapping sound when turning it on or off, but I don't get any flicker.

So, in the end, I would have to say that you get what you pay for. For the price, I think it is a great luxeon light. Also, because of CMG's great customer service, I can replace it if the snapping gets too annoying.

I haven't had the honor of even seeing one of the new SL lux lights yet....hopefully soon!

T.

steve_vance

Enlightened
own 2 of each Reactor II and II....love them, except for the flaky on-off switch. The IIs aren't totally white but not bad either....and they're better with lithiums. The IIIs are very white. Great light, great price.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I own a III that has the flickering problem. Being a person who hates to send things back, I sure wish there was a non-destructive way to get into the head.

I'm tempted to just bust it open, wire it permanently on, superglue it back together and use the tailcap as a switch.

Latest posts