any laser jet printers you suggest?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
After trying for 1 hour to un jam some paper from my HP 5L laser printer I did some checking and found it's a known issue for HP and I've decided to replace it, although I have an Epson 785epx purchased for photos, I would miss the speed and quiet of my HP laser jet. I was thinking of getting possibly the brother HL1440 (i've read mixed reviews on these as well, but are top rated in consumer reports) or maybe a lexmark. I'm asking for some suggestions here because I don't have the technical back ground or user knowledge that can be found here. I don't use a printer all that much but I am spoiled. I'm tempted to use the Epson since it's hardly been used but am feeling like it may not be to my liking.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have a hp 4550n. it's a colorlaser, and works very well.

my dad purcased it around christmas when it was on sale, and i've printed quite a few sheets on it.
actually...i think we've saved money by buying this thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Lexmark E322 laser printer and love it. It's moderately noisy when printing but with a few minutes of nonuse becomes completely silent. It supports Postscript, which you might not want/need, but there's a similar model (E320?) that is identical except for not having the Postscript support.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the HL-1440, and rooted around in some old PC's for 72 pin SIMM modules, and found an 8M to plug in, for a total of 10M now.
I had the HP 5L with the known defect, and got tired of hand feeding every sheet into the thing, so decided to get the Brother-
Works very well, and I haven't had any problems with it at all- printed some pictures with it at 600 dpi, and it did it without any problems. Printing graphic intensive documents with the standard 2MB may be where the trouble lies.
It draws only 4W on sleep mode, and 6W on standby, 850W or so while printing, and it's a speedy printer, both coming off standby and in print output as well.
Office Max had a $40 gift card rebate deal with it, free shipping, 2% off with ebates, and a $40 or so online discount coupon, so it definitely was worth the money.

Pitch the 5L; my Brother works out very well...

BF Hammer

Enlightened
OK, I'll freely admit some bias here, but if I was buying a small laser printer today, I would get one of these. Kyocera-Mita FS-1010 product information

I service the products, and I like the driver and software bundle. The cost of supplies and maintenance over the long term make the cost/print way lower than most any HP product, even with the bigger initial purchase price. You have to go through an office supply dealer that sells Kyocera-Mita or Copystar products to get them.

(note to administrators: the link is informational only, and I purposely did not mention my employer or link to their web site here)

Latest posts