Possible faulty Jetbeam RRT-0 switch

Chicago_Ted

Newly Enlightened
Got the RRT-0 this time last week, has been working well for the most part, but a couple of days after getting it it seems to have a switch problem.

The problem is when the light switches on using the clicky switch it randomly will have a brief flash of light and then nothing. I can disengage the switch and it will flash again. After that the lights works as normal until it randomly happens again. The pattern is random and sometimes I can click it on and off dozens of times without it happening, but sometimes I can reach for it and turn it on and the problem occurs.

After the light flashes off I can use momentary on to activate it again and it will stay on after that like it should.

I believe it's either a faulty switch or too much lube in the switch. I don't know how to dismantle the tailcap. I cleaned off the obvious lube gunk on the threads when I got the light too.

Last night when attempting to make the problem happen I was moving the control ring from Turbo to daily mode when the light flashed off and on a few times without any input...

This problem is annoying and making me not trust the light.

Will I have to send it back and have it fixed or can it be repaired at home?

I bought it from LEDTorchShop.com.au

Please help. :(

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i experienced a similar problem with it flashing, and not staying on. i found out that the head and body were not screwed on tight enough. try checking to make sure the head is fully tighten to the body.

Chicago_Ted

Newly Enlightened
i experienced a similar problem with it flashing, and not staying on. i found out that the head and body were not screwed on tight enough. try checking to make sure the head is fully tighten to the body.

I'm experimenting with that idea now. That might actually be the problem. It's currently running with AA extender and Eneloop and the extender doesn't want to screw on as tight as head, so maybe I just need to keep it tight to fix the problem? :)

If I can make the problem happen again, then tighten the head, it will be interesting.

EDIT: Perhaps during my use of it the head unscrews slightly which causes the problem. If I tighten it hard it doesn't unscrew easily. :)

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on all of the body parts have to be tightened together firmly or you will have this problem.

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have one that did not work out of the box and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with it.

The step inside of the tube that is supposed to make contact with the light engine was machined too deep so the light engine could not make contact when screwing down. Your light might have wore this area down a little and is now hard to make contact there. I removed the annodizing on the top edge of the tube on my light and it made contact there instead and worked well. I later used the same diamond stone and removed more material from the top of the tube and it now makes contact on the step where it should have originally. My light has worked well ever since. I believe that you could also use sandpaper on a flat surface and do this also. I just happened to have a diamond knife sharpener next to me at the time.

You could mark the step with a magic marker etc. and screw the battery tube back on and see if you are making contact there or not. This is what I did to make sure that I removed enough material from the top of the tube for it to make contact where it should. When the light is assembled it does not show where the annodizing was removed and IMHO dose not hurt the light at all.

I don't know if this is what is wrong with your light or not and you may want to send it back under warranty if this is what is wrong instead of doing what I did.

Last edited:

Chicago_Ted

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice each of you.

I cannot seem to make the problem happen now that the head is tightened hard and I will make sure it is whenever I get it from its holster in the future.