I want one more MiniM*G mod. Opalec or Inretech??

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I want to mod one more of my minimags, and I want a mod which lasts a long time at full brightness. I know BB400, madmax, etc are brighter, but what are their runtimes?? Anywhere close to opalec or inretech?? Of the Opalec and Inretech, which lasts longer?? Thanks for any help.

Feel free to give more suggestions. I already have the mini, so I just need the drop-in mod.

James

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roys runtime plots tell the story well. But in a short answer (from memory and reading the forum) BB400 90min, Madmax 2-3 hours, Opalec 8-10 hours, (the previous is before falling out of regulation, they last longer at a reduced brightness) Inretech, not completely sure, but it's brighter than the opalec for much longer than 8-10 hours.

If you are looking for the brightest for longest I'd have to say either an Inretech, or a Madmax that is turned down a bit.

Again I don't actually own any of these, but this is what I gather from reading CPF.

Hope it helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for asking this question james..
i've got ahold of a couple minimags that i'd like to do some drop-in mods on too.. 'cause i can't stand the beams from these things.. outta the two i've got, there's a big difference in beams just from one to the other..

*sits back and mooches off the advice*

StuU

Enlightened
I'd recommend the Opalec. It can perform 90% of the tasks needed. Mine as been troublefree. The Inretech is nice with new batteries but goes into a long, long freefall of dropping light levels. You will discard batteries from the Inretech long before they are depleted because of lowering light levels.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind using lithiums, get the Inretech. It is much brighter than the Opalec when it is loaded with lithiums, and has a nice long runtime.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to second the Inretech...on a fresh set of lithium AA's you'll get a VERY long, bright run time! Drop off in brightness is NOT rapid due to the relatively flat discharge rate of lithium cells. I have 4 Inretech adapters, and IMHO they are WELL worth the money spent...FWIW, the last time I ordered anything from Inretech was a couple weeks ago and it was in my hands in 3 days!

PJD

...one more item; the last set of lithiums that I put in my most used Inretech adaptor (white) have well over 12 hours of run time on them, and it's still WAY brighter than my Opalec!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what you are looking for, if you are looking for long time and a lower light output, then the Opalec is your choice

The InReTECH is Luxeon based, and gives more light - but, again More light means shorter operating time

Brightness X Operating_Time -> Weight

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mike,

I'll try the Inretech this time. I have an Opalec, and like it a lot. But, I have never seen an Inretech in person, thus the reason for this thread. Based on the responses here, I will end up owning both shortly! I am going camping soon and wanted two led lights to take, one for me and one for my wife, in addition to my usual incan. EDC's.

Thanks again,

James

Tomas

Banned
Re: I want one more MiniM*G mod. Opalec or Inretec

I'm a fan of cheap power (cheap alkaline AA's) and rigid regulation (when I turn on a light I like to know how much brightness I'm going to get, not have to remember how far down the discharge curve I am.

That leads me to using the Opalec for most normal interior needs.

Your needs may be totally different.

(I also have other choices besides my two Opalec conversions, but even the ones using Luxeons tend to be regulated (Arc, BB400's, etc.) rather than unregulated lights. I like the utter rigidity and predictability, but some don't and others really don't seem care all that much. Must be the perfectionist in me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

tomsig01.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, Tomas.

It's MadMax+ for me. I change the cells when I notice a dimming. And always NiMH.

I gave two Opalecs as gifts, and they were well received. I find them a bit dim for all around use, but they are excelent for around the house use, in darker conditions, I find.

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm anti-Mag these days because of their use of bogus legal intimidation against other light makers, so that colors this response. I don't care much for Minimag mods any more. The Minimag is heavier and clunkier than a 2AA light needs to be.

If you want a small unregulated LED light with Opalec-level output, try a PT Attitude for 15 bucks or so. It's powered by four AA's, has three LED's and supposedly has decent brightness for around 8 hours (similar to Opalec) followed by a long, dim trail-off period. It's maybe half the weight of a Minimag.

If you want two AA's and regulation, you could try a PT20 with the PT Matrix bezel (sold separately for around $25). That has three LED's like the Attitude but I don't know about the brightness.

For more brightness, try an Arc LS with the 2AA tail (more solid than a Minimag with a Luxeon pill).

No offense to Inretech but their device really wants L91 lithium AA cells and I think depending on those is a dumb idea. If you want a lithium powered light, you may as well use 123's instead of L91's. At recent low prices ($1-$1.25 per cell), 123's will cost much less per unit energy (or runtime hour at the same brightness) than L91's. So rather than a Minimag and Inretech, I think you're better off with an Arc LS and 1x123 pack. It's a much smaller and nicer light. You will have to change batteries more often, but it's a $1 battery change instead of a $4 change.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

im with ya, paul. mag will not be getting my business.

im really diggin' my new madmaxes with brinkmann legends.
great little clicky tailcap!

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Bob