3xAA SSC P7 or CREE MC-E

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
Ive been fighting the urge to buy a SSC P7 or CREE MC-E light and I am thinking the time to stop fighting and get buying is nearly here. I am considering going 1850 power, but I really dont want to (yes i know the advantages of them, but AA's suit me). I've been searching and have found DIY 3AA P7's but have not found an off the shelf (or of marketplace) solution. Is there anything out there? what?

Edit: as per below it doesnt need to be 3AA, just AA is the key but smaller the better.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
is there a reason why you emphasize 3AA?

Its close to impossible to drive either one of those LEDs anywhere near full spec even if you go with NiMH, not to mention the runtime will suffer rather dramatically:candle:
Probably why there are next to no lights that comes readily available to mind using either of those LEDs that uses 3AA

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend a Nailbender P7 or MC-E, coupled with his 3.6-6V regulated driver, powered by three nickel-zinc AA cells (1.6-1.7V each), in a Dereelight 3AA Javelin (2xAA + extender).

For a few weeks in 2009, I ran a Nailbender direct-drive MC-E with three Eneloop AAs in one of my FiveMega 3xAA bodies. It was very bright. Unfortunately, I damaged the module and it no longer works.

I happily run two Malkoff M30WF modules in two Fivemega 3xAA bodies powered by nickel-zinc AAs. Rated for voltages up to 5.0V, the M30 series is ideally suited for three NiZn cells. Unfortunately, both the 3xAA body and the M30 module are no longer made.

You might also consider the $160 SunwayLED 4AA, which comes with an MC-E. It's getting favorable reviews.

Last edited:

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
is there a reason why you emphasize 3AA?
no valid reason. My search started with me been tempted by the cheep direct driven 18650 P7/MCE's. I then looked for an AA equivalent and just found the DIY 3AA direct drives. I appreciate its not a good way of doing it, but if I dont go AA I would probably just get a cheap direct drive 18650. I am not stuck on 3AA, AA is more the key. That said that 6AA, nice as it looks, is probably too big for my needs (and I don't need a long runtime anyway). 4AA would be a nice compromise, 2AA would be perfect, the short runtime wouldn't bother me, but I don't know if you could get the required current out of the cells.

I will be running NiMh low self discharge cells (Ive not caught up on nickel-zinc's yet)

Illum

Flashaholic
no valid reason. My search started with me been tempted by the cheep direct driven 18650 P7/MCE's. I then looked for an AA equivalent and just found the DIY 3AA direct drives. I appreciate its not a good way of doing it, but if I dont go AA I would probably just get a cheap direct drive 18650. I am not stuck on 3AA, AA is more the key. That said that 6AA, nice as it looks, is probably too big for my needs (and I don't need a long runtime anyway). 4AA would be a nice compromise, 2AA would be perfect, the short runtime wouldn't bother me, but I don't know if you could get the required current out of the cells.

I will be running NiMh low self discharge cells (Ive not caught up on nickel-zinc's yet)

well, you have suggested 18650s, given the current draw of these LEDs, I'd think the dimension and chemistry alone would prove to be much more convenient...especially considering what the TK40 had to go through to accommodate an MCE:thumbsup:

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All. the SUNWAYLED M40A does look an option. Although there are a number of compromises namely, size, brightness (always hard to judge but its not rated as bright as its 18650 brother the M40C), and there are cheaper alternatives for 18650's (and then theres runtime for its size but as I say that doesn't bother me).

So all things said I think its probably (I've not brought myself to conclude it yet) gone full circle into the fact that I'd be better off with an 18650 light. Sorry that that's probably apparent from the start, but hopefully you can appreciate some of us just don't want to let go of AA's for various reasons (I will be using it along side other lights and other equipment on AA's). Thanks for the suggestions and help though.