Strobe only?

dandism

Enlightened
Is there any flashlight that only has strobe mode? Not looking for something that has to be programmed. I'm putting together a sefety light without any other modes that runs off a single AA or AAA battery. Any ideas?

-Dan

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The LiteFlux lights can be set up to produce only strobe. Never tried to do it with mine, but it's possible.

Geoff

entoptics

Enlightened
Quark AA Tactical. You can program the two modes to be beacon and strobe. Or strobe and strobe, or whatever you want from the available modes.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Quark Tactical could be programmed for that.

So could Nitecore Defender Infinity (as long as you don't fiddle with the head once it's set into strobe mode)

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the Quark, and program both modes to strobe. This way if someone would fiddle with the head it wouldn't matter. I'm just curious why you would want strobe only :shrug:.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glo-toob.

I don't recommend this light for much, but it does strobe quite well.

EDIT: Didn't notice the AA-AAA requirement

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
+3

Quark AA Tactical

You can program it while the head is tight to strobe and for the rest of the light's life you could leave it that way and never know you can loosen the head for another mode. Why not set that mode to either low-low or max or whatever but it's good to know you do have that option if the emergency arises.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any of the Jetbeam lights with the IBS interface will allow you to set all three modes to strobe. You can select any strobe from 1 to 15 hz in 1hz steps, plus it has several SOS and locator beacon modes; you could have a mode setup of low locator/slow strobe/fast strobe, or low locator/high locator/strobe, etc.

dandism

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, but it has to be exclusively strobe. I guess no such light exists with a single alkaline.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions, but it has to be exclusively strobe. I guess no such light exists with a single alkaline.
Just out of curiosity but why does a programmable light that can be configured for strobe only not meet your requirements?

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna say no. I'm still very curious as to the application. If there is a need for a dedicated strobe then it's no longer a flashlight.
The only thing I could think of would be one them bicycle lights that are more of a flashing light than an actual strobe.
How would the quark with both modes prgrammed to the strobe setting not fit the need?

Bullman

Newly Enlightened
Well, if you were using it as a building clearing device, it would make it easy to have a light that could just be used for the strobe feature, make it small by using one AA battery, doesn't add much weight or space to a duty belt. but for what little use you get out of it, it would probably be just as good to have bigger flashlight that you could just cycle to strobe when you needed it.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, the quark AA tactical can take a single alkaline and be set to strobe mode only. If you want, you could also do two different kinds of strobes (fast, slow, or SOS) but you don't have to.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was to be used a signalling/safety device, I would ditch the alkaline adn go with a lithium. I would hate to have to break out my emergency signal onlyto find that the battery leaked:poof:
If a signalling device is what you're looking for I would go with a 1x 123 LED Lite-Flare. Long life, 360 degree visibility....

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because it is for a blind person...
Well, configure it for strobe before hand and tell them not to mess with it! It's not like a blind person is accidentally gonna turn the bezel in and out four times fast.

LEDburn

Enlightened
SO how is a blind person going to be utilizing this strobe light you have in mind? :shrug:

Seems a bit silly if you ask me, some strobes are that fast I can't differentiate from them and a solid light source after a certain distance as light's appear to flicker anyway over a long distance from air turbulence etc.

How about you tell us exactly how it's going to be used and why it has to be only strobe and we'll give you some more feedback.

The only thing I can imagine is you're going to strap some torch flashing away like crazy to a blind person and let them loose at night and hope other people can see them??? If that's the case - I think by that stage they really need to be under constant care and having a strobe would be pointless as you'd have the carer to watch out for them.

Hell, they shouldn't even be out if this is their only line of defense against danger. You should be ashamed of yourself if this is the case too by the way. Letting some blind person fend for themselves with only a flashlight and their stick :thumbsdow

dandism

Enlightened
SO how is a blind person going to be utilizing this strobe light you have in mind? :shrug:

Seems a bit silly if you ask me, some strobes are that fast I can't differentiate from them and a solid light source after a certain distance as light's appear to flicker anyway over a long distance from air turbulence etc.

How about you tell us exactly how it's going to be used and why it has to be only strobe and we'll give you some more feedback.

The only thing I can imagine is you're going to strap some torch flashing away like crazy to a blind person and let them loose at night and hope other people can see them??? If that's the case - I think by that stage they really need to be under constant care and having a strobe would be pointless as you'd have the carer to watch out for them.

Hell, they shouldn't even be out if this is their only line of defense against danger. You should be ashamed of yourself if this is the case too by the way. Letting some blind person fend for themselves with only a flashlight and their stick :thumbsdow

YOU should be ashamed of yourself! Talking about blind people as if they are animals who should be left indoors at night. I am disgusted :mad:

I volunteer a blind center. People go there to learn to be more independent and socialize. One of the persons that I work with likes to go out at night every now and then (who doesn't), but feels unsafe when crossing streets. I am looking into putting together a pendant using flashlight parts to make a bright, flashing light. It has to be strobe only (gets more attention than constant) since he can't tell what mode it is on. It should also use easy to find, disposable batteries and be as light as possible hence the single alkaline requirement.

As of now, I can't find a 1.5V powered strobe only light so I might just do some research on circuits and see if I can put one together.

Latest posts