Comparison-two 5Wers: Output, color, heatsinking

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
This weekend, I took my "Psuedo SNII" and my 6C Radioshack mods to a cave with my fiance` and I had a few obvervations:

The "Psuedo SNII", a 2D Maglight with 6AA holder, using a W2VW and Mag reflector, and the 6C with U4UW and Mag reflector.

First, my fiance` prefered the light from the 6C!

Second, both lights appeared about equally as bright. This amaizes me because you'd think that a W bin would be much brighter than a U bin. The hot spot IS some brighter from the W bin, but the flood of the U bin seems to be brighter. Perhaps because the differing color of the W2 compared to the U4? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Third, both are using the Elektrolumens heatsink. The one in the Maglite fits snuggly into the body. The heatsink for the Radioshack sits on aluminum harddrive separator washers, all artic aluminum-ed to the body. She was using the RS most of the time, and the body did get some warm. Definitely not too hot to hold, but it was warm. I used the Maglite about 75% of what the RS was used [she was using hers as we walked to the cave, and I would turn mine on intermittenly. Not a long walk, but then as we got to the cave, I turned the Mag on]. I had the Maglite on during the time in the cave [probably 15-20 minutes], and on the walk back [probably another 10 minutes or so]. This is the interesting part. While the RS was warm to the touch, the Maglite was not at all. After I got back to a lighted area, I even took the head off the Maglite to feel the heatsink, and it wasn't hot at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any explaination to this?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
Any explaination to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. The cooler one was drawing significantly less power. This would also account for why the "W" bin one did not appear to be brighter than the "U" bin one.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do understand that the resistance of the battery plays a role in this scenario.

The Maglite uses the 6 AA battery holder, and the Radioshack uses 6C batteries.

Maybe the W needs to be in the Radioshack? Nah, I'm not wanting to switch. Just getting them operational and working [without grounding problems] is tough enough.

Perhaps the Maglite, with the W bin, makes a good light setup for allowing an overall longer life to the LED, since heat buildup doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Of course, I suppose I COULD get 6 AA Lithium batteries for it, or get a 3 CR123 holder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway, they both make a great amount of light.

On a same topic side note, while in the cave, I turned off the Maglite and had her turn off the RS, and I used just my Arc AAA, and she didn't like that very much. Too dark for her. Even using just my Arc LS wasn't good enough. She wanted to use the 5 watt "big guns". There was a time when she was against me getting more flashlights, but I think I sold her on the really bright ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Orion said:
On a same topic side note, while in the cave, I turned off the Maglite and had her turn off the RS, and I used just my Arc AAA, and she didn't like that very much. Too dark for her. Even using just my Arc LS wasn't good enough. She wanted to use the 5 watt "big guns". There was a time when she was against me getting more flashlights, but I think I sold her on the really bright ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You sly devil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Heh heh heh!!

Hey, maybe that will be a good way for whomever is having trouble with their spouse not being in favor of the flashlight collection. Take them to a cave at night and see how valuable a BRIGHT one can be!! hehehe

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of resistance are you using in each? Perhaps you could measure the Vf of the W2V and then figure exactly how much resistance and hard you want to drive it..

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither of them has any resistance in them. Full fledged direct drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a "Lightsaber" shot with them [and a few other flashlights]. The 6C RS is on the far left. The Maglite is second from the right.

fb61ce91.jpg

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another funny thing happened that evening that I thought you'd get a kick out of. It was a pool party I was at [at a private camp ground that has it's own cave], and the only other person who brought a flashlight was a kid who's mom let borrowa 2D PR base bulb flashlight. She had made a statement that the batteries were new, but there was a moment when I had the kid shine his flashlight out towards the drive way [which was very dark by now]. The beam from that light was barely visable. Then I turned on my Mag mod and it illuminated the street very well! To his wimpy 2d PR base flashlight, I said, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif