Klarus        

Thread: What light should I replace my SL 4AA ProPoly with

Flashaholic

Default What light should I replace my SL 4AA ProPoly with

I posted a couple days ago about the hot running problem my new Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer has. The store where I bought it will exchange it for another one but it sounds as if this isn't an isolated problem so I'm thinking of trying another light. I really like the beam that the ProPoly puts out, is there another light I can try that will give me a similar amount of light and will be able to run for an hour or more without over heating and doing damage to the light? I don't care if the body gets a little warm, just so it's getting the heat away from the LED module and still isn't too hot to hold onto. I'd still like to try to keep the price down close to that of the ProPoly, going a little higher if need be and I'd prefer an AA light. I've already got a 3C Twin Task which is nice for walking but I wanted something a little smaller and lighter. John

Default Re: What light should I replace my SL 4AA ProPoly with

Hmmmm, sorry to hear about your problem.

But... you might want tot try the SL 4AA again. It is by far my favorite AA 5mm led light.
    Everything else is expensive, doesnt take AA's or is less bright.

I think it was Quickbeam, that said its about 15 lumes brighter than any multi led light that size hes seen.

I love my SL PP 3C 10 led light. And need to get the 4AA as its little brother.

The only light I know about, that is the same size, and will but out the same amount of light, is the Inova x5t. But it uses 2x123's. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

I thought about an X5T and would still like to have one to carry but when I got this ProPoly 4AA I wanted it because I planned on using it for 1 - 1 1/2 hours 4 - 5 nights a week so I wanted something that used inexpensive batteries, or that I could use NIMH in. John

hmmm...you might consider the Badboy 400.

i hear it works very well with rechargeables.

Bob

Smaller in diameter, but longer - how about a Streamlight Tasklight Luxeon? 3AA, no thermal issues, Luxeon Star, nice beam...

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.n...ht_tasklux.htm

Don't forget, too, the Streamlight Propoly LED has a lifetime warranty. If the LEDs fry, you should get another light for free from Streamlight...

Flashaholic

how about a KL1 + E2e combo package? mine is KL1 + E1e
    the price of 123a battery is more affordable now

...investment$$$
    *I'm waiting for Surefire L2 5W LED duel-power*

Flashaholic*

Or the LSH-P! And you could also wait for the LS4 to come out, these lights are a bit pricy, but my LSH-P is perfect, so they are well worth the money.

I agree that you should try the 4AA Streamlight again. Yours is the only problem I've heard of on the forum with this light.

Flashaholic

shankus, if you try searching the 4AA LED you will see several more posts regarding this matter.

I agree that newer version's 4AA can run as long as the battery last, though. !(It will get warm~hot and the reflector surface 'may' deform slightly)!
    It's a nice LED light; but this is not the light I take when I go camping/hiking.

Flashaholic

You should give the SL 4AA another try. I ran mine for about 20 hours(non-stop) before getting bored and terminating the test. The head was warm for the 1st 5-6 hours(but not the body)at peak brightness, then later ran cold for the next 14. At the 20th hour, it was still putting out enough light for me to move around the house in the dark. You definitely got a lemon, it happens with the best of companies, Surefire included(I got a crappy M6 lamp assembly)

I've also got good feedback from others who took it camping/hiking etc.

Default Re: What light should I replace my SL 4AA ProPoly

I love my SL ProPoly 4AA 7 LED light! Okay, maybe not quite as much as I love my wife. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My first SL ProPoly 4AA 7 LED had some thermal issues, but since then SL has added an additional resistor to the head. I got my old-style flashlight head replaced by SL, and since then it's worked nicely. Maybe you've got the older version? You might want to contact SL about this.

That said, I learned that for me at least, by far the best way to load this light is to use 3 lithium AA cells plus a C.Crane dummy AA spacer. This keeps the light running at a bright output level for longer than alkalines would, plus it shows no thermal issues whatsoever. At least not for the amount of time I've left mine on, which admittedly is never for 5-6 hours or more! My usage pattern runs from seconds at a time to maybe an hour.

So summing things up, I strongly recommend that you see about a possible replacement (newer) head for the light, and consider feeding it in the manner described above.

Let us know how it works out! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

I would also recommend you give the SL ProPoly 4AA 7 LED another chance. Just make sure the one you get is the version that has fixed the thermal problems. I have one of these and love it--no problems at all.

On second thought, I suggest you give up on the SL ProPoly 4AA 7 LED and send it to me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll even pay the postage! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And I would also recommend that you give the SL ProPoly 4AA another chance. Sounds like you just got a bum one, and it really is a decent flashlight. I'm not sure what could replace it in regards to its beam type & brightness, and number & type of cells.

I like my SL 4AA, but if you insist getting a different flashlight, maybe the new Dorcy 8 LED flashlight would be a good replacement. It's about the same brightness as the Streamlight, it's metal, and it runs from higher-capacity C batteries (only two). I ran mine for over 1 hour last night, and the head became only a little warm. The major drawback is that the switch on the Dorcy isn't as easy to use.

The Dorcy has a "twisty" tailcap, while the ProPoly has a "clicky" tailcap. Both are easy to use, but I agree, the clicky tailcap on the ProPoly is a bit easier.

Flashaholic

Any idea who might be selling these Dorcy LED lights in California? I called Dorcy a few weeks ago to ask them and they said they weren't sure but I should try Sears, WalMart and Orchard Supply. So far I haven't had any luck with any of them having the lights in stock. I may pick one up and see about getting this ProPoly replaced with a good one too. John