Old TK40 better with new head!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so my TK40 had a minor issue with the reflector. There was a very small amount of fungal growth around the reflector where it meets the lens. Nothing that affected the beam, I'm just not paying $150 for a light that isn't quite right.

I sent it back to be repaired as you do with any new light under warranty. I got it back last week and Fenix had simply replaced the whole head. I know this because there was no anno missing from around the bezel, and the led is slightly off centre (the other was perfectly centred).

What's great about the new head is it appears to be about 30% brighter. On a ceiling bounce test it absolutely creamed my P7 mag which was on par with the old head. Also the BMX track 100ish metres away is now lit up so much I can clearly see the different shades of dirt that make up the track.

I think the old one was perfectly fine as it was stupidly bright, but this new head is insane. Low seems brighter too as it now appears as bright as a Quark Turbo set to medium (22 lumens). Medium and high outputs seem the same but the turbo is simply awesome.

Unfortunately I have no way of measuring the lumen output and even if I did, the old head is gone.

Anyone have a clue as to why there could be such a stark diffence in output. Tint is exactly the same as the old one, yellow greenish on low.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Old TK40 better new head!

Ok, so my TK40 had a minor issue with the reflector. There was a very small amount of fungal growth around the reflector where it meets the lens. Nothing that affected the beam, I'm just not paying $150 for a light that isn't quite right.

I sent it back to be repaired as you do with any new light under warranty. I got it back last week and Fenix had simply replaced the whole head. I know this because there was no anno missing from around the bezel, and the led is slightly off centre (the other was perfectly centred).

What's great about the new head is it appears to be about 30% brighter. On a ceiling bounce test it absolutely creamed my P7 mag which was on par with the old head. Also the BMX track 100ish metres away is now lit up so much I can clearly see the different shades of dirt that make up the track.

I think the old one was perfectly fine as it was stupidly bright, but this new head is insane. Low seems brighter too as it now appears as bright as a Quark Turbo set to medium (22 lumens). Medium and high outputs seem the same but the turbo is simply awesome.

Unfortunately I have no way of measuring the lumen output and even if I did, the old head is gone.

Anyone have a clue as to why there could be such a stark diffence in output. Tint is exactly the same as the old one, yellow greenish on low.
I think you have just forgotten how bright the old one was originally.:grin2: A 30% increase in visable brightness would only be possible with at least a 50-60+% actual increase in light output.:whistle:

James....:)

Last edited:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
If the new head is 30% brighter, then my head is screwed up too :). That is quite an increase in brightness....

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'm an idiot!

I forgot that I put some alkalines in my P7 mag to compare it's brightness to some other lights when running on alkalines. My bad.

Good news, my P7 is now 30% brighter too now it's got nimh feeding it again.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'm an idiot!

I forgot that I put some alkalines in my P7 mag to compare it's brightness to some other lights when running on alkalines. My bad.

Good news, my P7 is now 30% brighter too now it's got nimh feeding it again.

lol, Jash. glad you figured it out :)