Your Opinions: Surefire E2DL or Fenix TA20

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm in the market for a nice 2 CR123 light and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the above too. I have had other Surefires in the past as well as Fenix and have been impressed with them both. If it was up to you, what you would buy?

veleno

Enlightened
These two models are very different.

I don't like the E2DL because it lacks of a medium level for a general use, so I would prefer the TA20.

Did you consider the Sunwayled M20C?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If it were me I'd go with the E2DL because I like the E series TIR optic. Although with a grip ring and bezel ring mode selection the TA20 has some clear advantages.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
The lack of a medium level on the E2DL and being able to select which mode I can start on (and the price) are all points in the TA20's favor. But the Surefire is still very appealing.

Arcus Diabolus

Newly Enlightened
I've seen them both turned on at a store and if you're worried about tint I would suggest the E2DL. The TA20's tint looked very blue. I dunno if its the same elsewhere though

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Was the E2DL cooler white?

I'm also assuming that the Surefire is seen as being more reliable and durable in the long run?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the TA20 as huge as the TA21? I have the TA21 and it is about the size and length of the SF M3! If you are not into carrying big lights around then without a doubt I would suggest E2DL. I love the form factor of the E2DL and the two modes available are enough to handle most of the work needed. In my opinion, I prefer the LX2 for the UI, same TIR optic, same high power but slightly higher lower power than the E2DL.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
:thumbsup:

e2dl082-1.jpg

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy, the TA20. I hate the TIR beam. If your looking for a light to "play" with and "show off" with ("my flashlight throws further then yours does"), then pick the TIR E2DL.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

flashfiend

Enlightened
If you're considering the TA20, I think you might as well go to the TA21. However, each are as long as a 3-cell Surefire 9P and just as big. If you want something more pocketable go for the E2DL. I do like the selector ring on my TA21 though. But if this is for a pocket EDC, get the E2DL.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a side-by-side of the two lights? I'm. Thinking of using it as an all purpose light: EDC and nightstand.