LED Light for Keys please HELP

jama12uk

Newly Enlightened
I bought a fenix ld20 after advice from many members of this forum around 6 months ago and I have been amazed by its power and quality. I am now looking for a smaller light to carry on my keys, am looking for something equally as bright as the ld20 but only really interested in single aa/aaa powered lights. The unit must be tough as im constantly dropping my keys. A super powerful cr123 light might sway me but only if it is miles superior to any other aa/aaa single battery light.
Want something to wow the mates lol.

Thanks

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I have a stainless steel ITP A3 EOS on my keys. Powered by a single AAA, it will never be as bright as your LD20. For a keyring light, it is bright.

If you are prepared to go CR123A, you can get the ITP A1.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The itp keychain lights are extremely popular and great for the price.

The quark mini's are also definitely worth checking out. I EDC a quark mini 123 and it is awesome, but it is definitely a bit bulky

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I like the AA Quark MiNi for keychain carry - a little slimmer than the CR123 version (at the expense of being longer of course). Not quite as bright as the CR123 version, but still really bright for a keychain light. Also there have been far fewer reported mode-skipping/thread tolerance problems on the MiNi AA compared to the CR123.

Pair the MiNi AA with an Energizer Lithium AA (L91) and you'll be set. I've had my MiNi AA on my keys since they were released with no issues other than some dings and missing anno.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
You won't find anything in single AA or AAA that can match the brightness of the LD20 right now -- the batteries simply can't supply enough power.

I started with a Quark MiNi AA on my keychain for a few months. After evaluating how I used it and what would make it better, along with several other considerations that aren't important right now, I ended up getting a MiNi CR2 to replace it on the keychain. This little light can touch the brightness of your LD20, and is not quite as bulky as a CR123A.

I decided that because a keychain light is primarily a backup or short-term low-mode use for me, primary batteries are fine (instead of AA/AAA rechargeables), as I won't need to replace them much anyway. I also don't need the extended runtime of a CR123A, which makes the CR2 a better choice just because of its smaller size.

As I side note, I found neutral white tints to be great for keychain lights as (at least for me) they make contrast-colored things like maps slightly easier to read.

If you haven't seen selfbuilt's reviews yet, check them out for some consistent runtime/performance data to compare.

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Fenix, LD01 and it has been very reliable. Plenty of light for doing most things; I use Eneloop's with it.

I have the ITP A3, it to is a very nice light as well. My ITP's are cheaper, and I think a little shorter, but I just prefer my LD01's. I have two LD01's and carry my aluminum one in my pocket with my keys all the time everywhere, for about a year now. My stainless LD01, I have a shoe string tied to it and hanging around my neck at night while running around the house and when I am camping.

My two ITP A3 mostly sit, good lights like I said, but the LD01 get all the duty time.