DIY Water cooled LED lantern. PIC.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple, cheap, nice (at least for me), environmental friendly, and bright.

This one has a SSCP7, potted in epoxi, with a 2000 mA powe source. That should be at least 500 lm.

So, what you need is:

1. SSCP7
2. Water
3. Can (2 liter is more than enough for 7 Watts).
4. Epoxi, transparent. ( I use this one )... But you can find a lot of information for potting on this forum. Just be carefull to not cover the alloy bottom of the MCPCB.
5. Gland (For the cap)
6. Constant current power source (I used a current limited NiCd 3 cell charger)

img4140bc.jpg

Enjoy

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

You can use any kind of translucent bottle. I recomend to add a little bit of soap to the water to get an even distribution.

Yes, will post more pics, and a "making of"

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another one:

img4125j.jpg

This one has bigger recipent, one CREE XPG, one encapsulated 12 Vin 700 mA out driver, and less water. Not recomended to use less water if you plan to move the lantern and it is not going to be stand up, but a nice effect anyway.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
WOW! The ingenuity of the people on this site never ceases to amaze. :bow:

Illum

Flashaholic
With deionized water it should be fine...mineral oil when its not flowing is a horrible heatsink, but if its circulating it will have no issues. Water has high heat capacity and will distribute the heat more evenly in the medium through natural, but subtle, convection.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are right... but the problem with deionized water is that it becomes ionized when it gets in contact with anything... and ones it is ionized it will be electrically conductive, and once it happens it will become more and more ionized... The only way is to use epoxi or any other encapsulant.

Oil, water or any other fluid will flow quick with a heat differential, because heat changes the viscosity. (excuse my english)

Javier

fyrstormer

Banned
Thin silicone oil like what comes in spray cans would be a better heatsink medium than mineral oil. However, there should be enough convection off the LED to keep the oil moving, whichever one you choose.

On a camping trip or something like that, I gotta think water would be more useful though. Mmm, nothing like a nice big gulp of baby oil on a hot day...

fasuto

Enlightened
Very nice idea, it would be great if it could work from the power of a car lighter.
The DIY kit sounds interesting.
If you have the time, please, post more pics of the "making off".

Illum

Flashaholic
Very nice idea, it would be great if it could work from the power of a car lighter.
The DIY kit sounds interesting.
If you have the time, please, post more pics of the "making off".

hmm, 12V buck converters might be more efficient, certainly a feature that could be "added on" rather than "built-in":nana:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome stuff here, and nice pics!

A thought. Couldn't a traditional lantern style be developed where the globe is replace with a frosted one that can hold water on a permanent basis? Kinda like a small fishbowl sitting on a battery with a handle/bail.

To make this feasible/practical, you wouldn't need that much water in the globe to get nice heatsinking. If a serious amp-capable led could be mated with a battery than can supply it (SLA?), perhaps a really useable unit could be devised. The benefit could be that, with the proper dimmer, you could dial between 50ma to 5A to your led, depending on how much brightness you needed vs runtime. SLA lends itself to this application, and can handle abuse. The dimmer dial could be marked with a few lumens/ma/runtime markers.

Latest posts