Need help...information overload

nmr

Newly Enlightened
OK, I have been a member long time, but usually only read. I've also been away from lights for a while...so I'm trying to get some help picking a light.

My desires:
Low level option ~ 7 lumens
Want as high output as possible, ~250 lumens
Don't care about strobe
Want to stay around $70 range (as I will be buying two)

My questions:
Which do I want the XPG-R5 and XPE Q type CREES?
Do I want the 18650 compatibility (I think so)?

I currently only have a Surefire E2e and G2...neither LED's, so I want to get into LED's. The light will be mainly just for general use, which is why I want the broad range of output...7 lumens for general walk around the house when the power is out, to blinding someone in the event they come into my house unwanted.

Can you all please help me out? I have been reading for a few days now, and am more confused than ever.

I have been looking at the Quarks, Fenix, Olight and Eagletac, but there simply are too many choices...help!

Thanks!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark tactical plus 18650 body would be a good option. It would however break your budget slightly and is rather large for an 18650 light.

tandem

Enlightened
I can see that you might prefer a new light to be based on CR123 cells given you must already have some on hand for your current Surefires, but as I'm a big believer in the AA format for emergency use due to their ubiquitous availability I can't help myself in suggesting you add at least one AA format bright LED light to your collection at some point.

Recently I added a Fenix LD10 to our collection and I like it so much I think I'm going to get one for everyone in the family. A review here sold me.

The updated Fenix LD10 R4 (single AA 132/105/50/9 lumens). 105 - 132 lumens is bright enough to blind me. For a single AA flashlight it has excellent output and great run times on max, high, medium and low for a single AA battery. ~ 55$ USD.

For a few dollars more maybe the LD20 R4 with its 205 lumen output would be appealing but myself I like the size of the LD10 and the runtime on medium power is excellent (more than double the LD20 if you assume the second AA cell is in your pocket, ready to swap in) without too much reduction in output as compared to the LD20 and other comparable lights.

For my EDC use the 2xAA lights are too long. I live in shorts most of the year so any EDC light has to fit under the flap of my front thigh pocket and sit there securely even when active. I like the clip on the new LD10 - that and < 4 inch length and it's 2.75 ounce weight (including AA cell) allows it to stay in place without me noticing it.

Between our kids electronics and toys (and flashlights in every bedroom room, we live in an earthquake zone), numerous front and rear bike lights, remotes and other non-flashlight devices, a collection of rechargeable batteries and charger is a given. I'm sure I could scrounge up at least several months worth of useful lighting just by collecting stored and in-use LSD and regular rechargeable cells from around the house should it ever be necessary.

entoptics

Enlightened
18650 is a superb power source, but if you don't already have it, you will need to budget an additional $40-$50 in batteries and a charger to feed two lights. Also, $70 is at the very bottom end of the "quality manufacturer" 18650 price range.

As far as I know, the brightest light you can get that fits your other criteria and budget is the EagleTac P20A2 MKII (230 OTF lumens) in 2xAA format, or the P20C2 MKII (300 OTF lumens) in CR123 format.

As mentioned, the AA format is hard to beat because of it's universal availability and good energy density. Good low self discharge NiMH cells are the best value out there in terms of cost/performance ratio. One Eneloop will cost roughly the same as a single CR123 cell (unless you buy in bulk online), but it can be used hundreds of times in a wide variety of devices rather than just once in a flashlight.

Since you already have CR123 lights though, you may want stick with that power source. If your usage is relatively low, a 2xCR123 light may only eat a couple of cells a year, and it will be shorter, lighter, and brighter than a similar light in 2xAA format.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
The Jetbeam Jet III M is very bright (225 lumens is their claim) with a very very low low. Excellent deal on it now from bugoutgear: only $65 Normally $85!

It is two mode, full blast high and a second customizable mode that you can set for general use.. Im sure it goes below 7 lumens or anywhere in between.

Great light if you are going to take the pluge into 18650's... sounds like you already have CR123's that work too

here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=230976

Last edited:

nmr

Newly Enlightened
OK, I am taking into consideration the AA argument...

I actually I am thinking about the Jet Beam Jet-1 v3.0. Any thoughts on that one? It appears that the light has good reviews around here for the most part.

Question would be the 14500's...is it worth going to those over Eneloop NiMH batteries?

Follow up question #1: if the 14500 are worth it, should I buy protected cells? What does that really mean?

Follow up question #2: Since I am really looking for two lights (one for me, one for wife) if the 14500 are worth it, what second light I should look at that could use that power souce but maybe have some advantages the Jet-1 doesn't have?

If I am going to get two lights, maybe they should not be the EXACT same light....

Thanks, you all are very helpful!

entoptics

Enlightened
The choice of a second light would depend on your wife. If she's a closet flashahaulic, then most definitely get two different and interesting lights. You could trade from time to time so you'd each have variety. If she just needs simple effective light for infrequent use, then get her an iTP EOS A3 ($20) for her keychain and save your money for lights for yourself.

14500 is a VERY good power source, and will produce CR123 brightness/runtime in an AA form factor for lights designed to use it. You almost certainly do want protected cells.

"Protected" means the cell itself has a cutoff circuit which will interrupt the connection when the voltage goes above or below the cells safe operating range. It means the cell cannot be over charged or discharged, both of which can lead to cell damage, venting, explosion, or fire.

Things to consider about 14500 (and Li-ion in general).
  1. Availability is very limited (online purchase only)
  2. Requires more care and attention to eliminate the chance of dangerous failure, even with protected cells.
  3. Initial investments are high. "Cheap" charger ~$20, cells ~$5 each
  4. 14500 cells must not be used in other AA devices...:poof:
  5. ~35% more "power" than a NiMH AA cell
  6. 25% lighter weight than NiMH
  7. Better temperature operating range (cold especially)
  8. Longer shelf life (double NiMH?)

The main reason to get Li-ion cells in a 1xAA format light is for increased brightness (NiteCore D10 being the exception). The 14500 will drive the light much harder, resulting in about 50-75% more light in most cases. Typically, this will be for a shorter runtime than the NiMH option.

Here's a time lapse beam shot video of a Quark AA running NiMH vs 14500. The results are generally similar to what you might expect of any other single AA light. Watch in HD/Full screen and pause to see details.

As you can see, the 14500 really wakes up the Quark on Max (shortens run time though) and it increases the runtime significantly for equal lumens on High. Note the abrupt shut off on the 14500 cells vs the more gradual fade out on NiMH. This is the protection circuit kicking in when the voltage drops to about 2.8 volts.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
OK, I am taking into consideration the AA argument...

It would probably be helpful for your decision making process to decide what your battery preference will be. Maybe your usage pattern agrees with sticking to the CR123 format. Or maybe you've got other devices that could benefit from a standardization on AA format (and a decent charger and cells to go with it). Or maybe you are about to become, or already are, a battery and flashlight geek (and I mean that in the best possible way) and are prepared to accept some trade-offs in convenience, choices, and cost in the pursuit of highest output for an AA sized light.

I'm pretty geeky myself and might one day wander down the 14500 alley but for now NiMH, particularly the LSD variant, technology meets my needs for cost, convenience and capability. But at least AA lights are a format that would allow me to dabble later down the road if I so choose.

If I am going to get two lights, maybe they should not be the EXACT same light....

Seems wise. Your lady may have different needs and tastes. But probably whatever you get for her should use the same battery technology particularly if you are headed down the rechargeable route.

nmr

Newly Enlightened
My problem is I have several 123 devices (G2, E2e, TLR-1, TLR-1s, "cough" UTG "cough" EL228 mounted on a SG)...but those don't really ever see much use, so my consumption of 123's is VERY small.

The mounted lights I have no problem being 123's..

The flashlights though, I would like to use. Because of the Surefires being single mode and 123's, I never really use them. It costs more to upgrade them to multi-mode LED's than to buy new lights from Fenix, Eagletac or JetBeam. I am VERY careful with my stuff, so I'm not sure if Surefire really buys me anything over the other good brands...Should I sell the Surefires?

The wife is not really into flashlights, my reason for buying her one, is that I now have two to play with :twothumbs...but one of them will reside on her nightstand.

Anyway, that is why I am contemplating the AA models, and specifically the kind that can be powered with 14500...I don't mind purchasing the charger/batteries for the 14500s and with the ability to use straight AA's, in an emergency, I've got plenty of those always lying around..

I never thought it would be that hard to pick a light...think my boss will give me a raise because of this new "habit"???:naughty:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST from Bugout gear and love it. Got great service and Flavio has a 20% CPF discount going on right now (though I don't remember the code off the top of my head).

It uses 2x123 or an 18650, and is compatible with RCR's so it can feed on a good variety of power sources. The IBS system is also fantastic; closest thing I've found to a perfect UI so far.

With respect to batteries, if you've already invested in RCR's of any type, a light like this will do you well, but I've made it a point to avoid the 123 form factor and have stuck with the AA form factor and with this light have just moved into 18650's. For your wife though, unless she's got a geeky/techy/nerdy streak, get her something she can just pop any old AA into to make it easy for her. I bought my wife a Quark AA so I don't have to deal with the battery issue; she can literally grab any cell off my workbench for it that will fit and not have to worry if it's the right one. The hardest part was teaching her the UI.

I can't recommend this light or BG Gear enough... I'm very happy with both.